End of Era with tourist visa?

Incorrect

Correct for misc European consulates that have published it.

Correct for Pnom Phen Cambodia:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/866652-thai-embassy-website-metv-requirements-starting-13th-nov-2015/

But the wishful thinkers have another two weeks to believe in "all will be good".

I will not participate in the thread before Monday, Nov 16.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Phnom Penh was only doing single entry tv. We are yet to hear from consulates that do double entry tv such as Vientiane.

The "incorrect" I mentioned about a post above was referring for example to non nationals in USA with valid visa can.obtain METV in USA.

Edited by jacksam

As I unerstand it, the Multiple entry Visa is good for 6 months which you can draw out to nearly 9 months by returning to Thailand a few days before the end of the visa and applying for a 60 day extension and then a further 30 day extension when that is done. The downside is this Multiple Entry Visa must be obtained in your home country, ... or in a country in which you can prove residence, .. at a cost of about $140 US

You can come and go as often as you like, ..go to Bali for a week or Laos for a weekend, wherever you want as many times as you want, but you eventually have to return to your own country

Thunder, that's what we are waiting to see regarding if one would need to return to their home country. The key consulates of interest are the ones currently issuing double and in some cases triple. I guess we hope that the METV will be available at some consulates and not just our home country. Time will tell. My personal guess is that they will be available.

So since it seems that Thailand is moving to become more strict with the double entry tourist visa process. How will people who stay here on long term tourist visa make it now? Do you think maybe people will have to go to Vietnam for a month or 2? Do you think this is just all talk and then back to business? Do you think us farang (with out the other visas ) will have to find some other loop hole. Or is it still a wait and see situation?

And there is the crux of the matter from start to finish.

Wow my thread got nice and long. So what I can gather from all this is we ALL just have to wait and see what happens. If the visa run days are over than I guess it another SEA country for me, time will tell.

Not all.....not the people who have the legal right to stay long term by qualifying for the correct visa/extension.

Wow my thread got nice and long. So what I can gather from all this is we ALL just have to wait and see what happens. If the visa run days are over than I guess it another SEA country for me, time will tell.

Not all.....not the people who have the legal right to stay long term by qualifying for the correct visa/extension.

Where is a stated limit on successive tourist visas, which allow people to stay long term?

I'd tend to go with the 'it'll be alright on the night' thinkers on this purely down to the fact that if they don't, can you possibly imagine how many people are going to be in detention centers, how many illegals will suddenly spring up, how many will lose properties, businesses..... I don't think they want that somehow - just glad I came back and read this because if you don't call back here at least on a weekly basis you'll probably have missed something big. I will be there (savannaket) the 23rd and I am preying someone else gets back on here the week beforehand to lay it all down for the rest of us, might not be doing good things for the condo market but I bet Cigarettes are going through the roof right now ! A lot of us are in this together for whatever comfort that might give anyone else, nothing more of any use to add.

Thx.

Lets assume the consulates in neighboring countries will issue those METV stickers and the next questions and complains will be that they ask for 200,000 Baht in a bank account with a bank statement of the past 6 months, a letter of employment, hotel bookings for lets say 30 days in advance and a return flight back to your country or to a neighboring country and possible some other documentations. I believe many wouldn't qualify for it any way.

Anyone that is hoping that the Thai Consulate in Savannaket does not need financial proof will be very disappointed.

• Like 1

whistling.gif I am able to qualify for a retirement visa/extension anyhow.

But I could also do a METV if I wished.

I am a U .S. citizen, so no problem getting a METV in the states.

I have the funds to show to stay in Thailand, I currently live in Thailand, and can show a contract with a place of residence monthly in Thailand. I pay for my apartment in Thailand monthly and can show receipts proving that

I get a monthly pension paid to me in my Thai bank account monthly and I can show I have funds to live in Thailand for 6 months easily with no problem

If I wished to I could easily qualify to stay the 6 cold months of snow and ice in my U.S. home area in Thailand on a tourist METV visa.

In fact, if the Thais looked at it carefully I am exactly the kind of "quality tourist" they should be trying to attract with their 6 month multi entry tourist visa.

6 months every year in Thailand, and 6 months back in the U.S. in the summer......I could happily do that.

If they would just see the opportunity a 6 month tourist multi entry visa is just the thing for me, as well as a nice profit maker for Thai immigration.

All they would have to do is to market it to the right group and they can have a good money maker.

All Thai immigration has to do is think about it clearly and see the METV as the profitable money maker it could be if marketed properly.

Just make it available to the "six month annual tourist" who want to live in Thailand and escape he cold winter in the U.S. and Europe. by making it available in Thailand with some restriction on funds and of course not allowing the METV holder to work in Thailand.

Am it he only one who sees this?

I am not a marketing genius, but I can smell the opportunity here.

Wake up, Thai immigration, and see what a fantastic opportunity you could have here.

Thank you -good post.

Though I doubt anything will change.

Thai immigration is awake. The power struggle and infighting is what's going on here.

Every time it looks like this is the final nail - it isn't.

Corruption and greed haven't gone and won't be going with the tourist visas. Where there's a will there's a way.

It would be quite ironic if this was the start of an effort to clean up corruption. You would see a whole lot of people back pedaling on their views of corruption.

• Like 1

As I unerstand it, the Multiple entry Visa is good for 6 months which you can draw out to nearly 9 months by returning to Thailand a few days before the end of the visa and applying for a 60 day extension and then a further 30 day extension when that is done. The downside is this Multiple Entry Visa must be obtained in your home country, ... or in a country in which you can prove residence, .. at a cost of about $140 US

You can come and go as often as you like, ..go to Bali for a week or Laos for a weekend, wherever you want as many times as you want, but you eventually have to return to your own country

No you dont

Canberra and Washington are accepting non-residents.

According to the Bangkok post today? page 2, you will need to show 6 months worth of bank statements showing a monthly income of 4000 pounds plus you need to supply mounds of other paperwork. Already the new multi visa looks impractical for all intents and purposes.

According to the Bangkok post today? page 2, you will need to show 6 months worth of bank statements showing a monthly income of 4000 pounds plus you need to supply mounds of other paperwork. Already the new multi visa looks impractical for all intents and purposes.

A monthly income of £4000 /month?

In the bank ?

A Gross income exceeding £48.000/year?

Are you sure what you report is an accurate reflection of what was read ?

The info I have seen posted on embassy websites is the equivalent of 200k baht in the the bank for 6 months. Not an income. It is a long term seasoning of the funds before applying. Apparently they don't want you borrowing the money the day before you apply.

I do not consider this a "mountain" of paperwork - this is for the USA-DC Consulate:

• Passport, Application-form, 2 Passport Photos,
  • First Flight Ticket-Confirmation,
  • Initial Hotel Reservation-Confirmation,
  • Bank Statement showing a min-balance of $7000 (not "income") for the past 6 months,
  • US-Citizen or Resident Alien OR "Valid US Visa",
  • Employment Proof OR "business license or business registration" for one's own business.

The primary difference with the DC rules, vs other consulates who have so far released their full-requirements, is that simply having a valid US-Visa suffices - not citizenship or residency.

Note that the more "friendly" local consulates, who currently offer double and triple TVs to non-residents (through Nov 12th), have not yet posted their full-requirements for the METV - nor have the "more friendly" US Consulates.

Edited by JackThompson

You have to show $7000 for 6 months in the bank which is preposterous for tourist travel to a poor country like Thailand. Most Americans HAVE ALMOST NO SAVINGS!

Then most Americans will not be able to afford expensive airline tickets, hotel accommodation etc ! smile.png

The info I have seen posted on embassy websites is the equivalent of 200k baht in the the bank for 6 months. Not an income. It is a long term seasoning of the funds before applying. Apparently they don't want you borrowing the money the day before you apply.

UJ

That would make more sense, however some of the postings in this and other threads are showing requirements for minimum income, and employment are they not?

EG post #79 (above) and http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867242-what-is-the-status-of-the-supposed-new-kind-of-visa/?p=10027611 relating to Zurich

I'm waiting to see what the UK Embassy does, as so far there's no mention of the METV on their site.

Edited by VBF

UJ

That would make more sense, however some of the postings in this and other threads are showing requirements for minimum income, and employment are they not?

I'm waiting to see what the UK Embassy does, as so far there's no mention of the METV on their site.

Never mind the postings which are often erroneous.

Have you seen an Official Statement which refers to income ? If so please point me toward the link.

Thanks

UJ

Never mind the postings which are often erroneous.

Have you seen an Official Statement which refers to income ? If so please point me toward the link.

Thanks

No, actually I haven't, but do you not think that the screenshots that other posters are showing for various Embassies are official?

• Like 1

I feel the main objective of this government for making tourist visa, education visa etc more difficult is to get a real tourist into this country to spend money and get rid of those who stay here for couple of months on some kind of tourist visa and work illegally or do illegal stuff and then go to neighboring countries and renew their tourist visa.

If you are a real tourist and now you have problem staying then spend 500 000 baht and get a VIP card and there you have a 5 years visa without any problem.

You seem to have many opinions yourself.

You live in los, fine. What do you call yourself. My ongoing posts are about the continual reference to posters using terms "genuine tourist" .....please define or as Beatles say let it be. Or in Australia we call it play your own game.

We are all tourists. Only other terms that come to mind are .....perhaps ..resident. citizen. Please not reply with retiree . I am but I'm living in los on permission of stay. I am a touris

t

violin.gifviolin.gifviolin.gif

How many times do you intend posting that "opinion"

It's a more accurate outlook than the baseless idea that staying on TRs is somehow incorrect or makes one an 'undesirable'.

Look at developed countries, one is either a 'visitor' (extendable in fixed intervals) or has indefinite right to remain/citizenship. Thailand simply isn't using the term 'visitor' quite yet. Makes sense as it doesn't translate very well into Thai.

If anything the amount is on the low side.

£4000 for a 6 month holiday is not a lot of spending power