Passport got washed, next steps?

Hello,

I am a British citizen and I am 30 days in to the first entry of my triple entry tourist visa issued from the Thai consulate in Cardiff.Today my girlfriend gave me the wonderful news that my passport ended up in the washing machine.. Some of the stamps, including my entry stamp, are blurred beyond recognition but the visa stickers are all in good condition. My TM6 card survived and the stamp on that has faded but you can still read the date clearly. No pages fell out or have torn or anything like that.

It seems like it will take 4-6 weeks to get my passport replaced, which will put me into overstay territory. Once my passport has dried out, can my local immigration office fix the relevant stamps for me? And can they give me a 30 day extension in my damaged passport while I am waiting for the replacement one from the UK?

If I do receive a new passport in time, where do I stand with my remaining entries? I read that visas cannot be transferred into a new passport but the old passport can still be used, would this still be the case for my passport?

Thanks in advance

Edited by chris1112

No stamps can be "fixed"

What can be done with a damaged passport is totally dependent on the extent of the damage.

You may or may not be able to obtain an extension. It depends on the Thai immigration Officers decision as to whether the passport remains valid.

Advise can be sought from the British Embassy .

• Like 1

I read that visas cannot be transferred into a new passport but the old passport can still be used, would this still be the case for my passport?

About ten years ago I had to replace an expiring passport (US) in Bangkok. When I picked up the new passport I was given some forms that were already filled in and instructed to go to the imm. office (Soi Suan Pru, in those days). I can't recall if I was on an entry permit or 4-month tourist visa at the time.

I washed my passport just before I was leaving the USA to go to Thailand. I thought it was readable and in decent shape, but I went to the Post Office to get a replacement just in case as I didn't want to book a flight, schedule time off from work, then find out at the airport that I wasn't going anywhere. The agent at the Post Office said there is no way the TSA or the airport clerks at the check in desk would accept the passport. As far as transferring stamps and visa transfers, and what may be a tight timeline for you, I defer to others. I have trouble believing that things are not transferred to new passports. Many people for example those that get one year extensions might fall into that often, unless they all had over one year validity on their passport at time of last extension? Or of course if they damage or lose their passports. Something must exist for them to continue on and replace things.

Your best bet is to ask for an extension (tell them that the new passport application is pending), then apply for the new passport, and finally transfer the current entry stamp and perhaps the visa into it (this requires an embassy-issued letter asking immigration to do so).

If Thai immigration refuses to put an extension into your damaged passport, one way to stay legal is to get an limited-validity emergency passport. Ask the UK embassy about it, you might be able to get your stamp transferred into that, and the extension issued on it, until you obtain the permanent passport.

example;

I accidental washed my gf passport,

took it to immigration here in phuket and they said no problem, could read it and all.

then flew out to get her a new visa in KL

thai embassy WOULD NOT Issue her a new visa ( we had all paperwork for an ed visa) and she had to fly back home to get a new one.

Suggestion;

Go apply for a new one and than go to immigration an tell them you have applied for a new one ( show them u paid for new one) and play on their sympathy .

I have heard extensions/re entries are transferable, visas are not but could be wrong.

I used to work with someone who was a stickler for following rules. He always carried his passport and work permit in his back pocket. He lost both one night and went through hell getting another set of documents even had to leave the country to get a new visa. After he got it all done he continued to carry both in his back pocket, until the night that his wife washed both of them. After that he carried copies! Live and learn.

• Like 1

I read that visas cannot be transferred into a new passport but the old passport can still be used, would this still be the case for my passport?

About ten years ago I had to replace an expiring passport (US) in Bangkok. When I picked up the new passport I was given some forms that were already filled in and instructed to go to the imm. office (Soi Suan Pru, in those days). I can't recall if I was on an entry permit or 4-month tourist visa at the time.

----------------------------

For a U.S. passport you can get a new passport at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok if yours is damaged or defaced.

However it must be identifiable as a valid U.S. passport before they will even try to initiate a new passport.

If the numbers are valid, they will be in the database, and a new one can be initiated on proof of your I.D. (photo I.D.).

They will tell you it will take 2 weeks or more to get your new passport but I renewed my U.S. passport in June 2015,and it took only 9 days for me to get the new one.(they may give you a receipt to show in place of your old passport to show while your new passport is being processed)

The U.S. embassy will give you a form letter to take to the immigration in Bangkok to transfer your current visa there.

You will need to go to immigration ,get a queue number, and wait until your number is called. The process of transferring your current visa to your new passport takesabou15 or 20 minutes at immigration once your number is first called.

Your old visa is not actually transferred, but they make an entry that immigration saw and verified your old visa, and they stamp that entry.

Once you have done that you can use your new passport for exit or entry at the airport.

I usually carry the old cancelled passport also, but my new one worked perfectly well.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Hello Chris,,,i had the following experience about 2 years ago after losing my passport...i am aussie(won't go into how as we are not here to judge)

First thing i did was go to aussie embassy in bkk and applied for new passport(think it was going to take 4 weeks or something).

They advised if i wanted to leave thailand right away they could issue me with a temporary document to get me out.

Wanted to stay,so waited for new passport to arrive.

The next was to go to thai immigration in chang wattana to sort out my visa.Luckily i had a photocopy of my "lost" passport as well as

copy of arrival card and visa to show them.I had a non-imm double entry visa with about 4 months left on it.

While the officer was reasonably helpful he stated the following:

the visa you had was in your lost passport therefore it is now gone and cannot be replaced.

As well i was overstay by 8 days and they fined me for that.

immigration issued me only a 7day visa after i pleaded for 30 days.

probably lucky you only washed yours at least you still have your visa.

anyway good luck with everything

cheers

Current Extensions of Stay get transferred into a new passport...Visas do not.

If a current visa is still valid after obtaining the new passport, then you must show both the old and new passport when entering the country.

I have had both of these situations, and it works as stated.

I am guessing if it was a biometric passport, your details would have survived the wash.

Yeah, if Thai immigration can handle them and if the chip works--I find it curious that all seven of the FAQs are on chip failure--https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118598/biometric-passports-readers.pdf

Anybody had experience with the biometric passports?

No stamps can be "fixed"

What can be done with a damaged passport is totally dependent on the extent of the damage.

You may or may not be able to obtain an extension. It depends on the Thai immigration Officers decision as to whether the passport remains valid.

Advise can be sought from the British Embassy .

Advise can be sought from the British Embassy?? Only if you have deep pockets.

• Like 1

My passport was destroyed in a flood a couple of years ago. Went to immigration and after it was passed round for everyone to have a laugh, they sorted it out as they already had everything on record. When my new passport arrived, all stamps were transferred to my new passport. (I believe the rules on this have changed)

MY passport has been washed a couple of times over the past 6 years but as long at the latest extension of stay can be seen and it is not tooo mangled it is fine! Immigration moan about it but mostly it is OK! Get a new one when you can but it is not urgent!

Hi Chris,

the UK passport office ran an ad a few months ago warning people to take great care with their passports - particularly around water and accidents involving passports and water.

So don't worry, they know that accidents can and do happen to anyone.

You really should contact them direct for advice. They are normally pretty helpful.

Thai immigration will have their own opinion to.

Talk to both, then you'll know what you have to do.

I don't understand how anyone can be so casual with their passport,

its the most important document you have,loose it,wash it,and you have

big problems, that documentary on Bangkok Airport, at the tourist police

office had a draw full of lost passports.

regards Worgeordie

Shocked when I read these reports also. As I have said before, once in Changi, I found 2 lost passports in a space of an hour. One in a bathroom on the counter and one on a chair in a lounge. When I travel, mine stays in a zipped pocket in a vest I never take off. At home, its in the safe. If some official wants to inspect it while I am walking down the soi one day TOO BAD. He can see my copy or go to my house and see the original. I have been know to put my electronics through a rinse cycle though. facepalm.gif

Your best bet is to ask for an extension (tell them that the new passport application is pending), then apply for the new passport, and finally transfer the current entry stamp and perhaps the visa into it (this requires an embassy-issued letter asking immigration to do so).

If Thai immigration refuses to put an extension into your damaged passport, one way to stay legal is to get an limited-validity emergency passport. Ask the UK embassy about it, you might be able to get your stamp transferred into that, and the extension issued on it, until you obtain the permanent passport.

Emergency passport issued by UK Embassy will only be Issued if one has to travel within the next 5 working days.

I am not sure if the following is still valid. I certainly know it used to be so.

It is valid for travel through 5 countries maximum, last entry must be country of legal residence.

Note: Visa exemption (VOA?) + 30 day extension should buy you enough time until new passport comes in.

Current passport processing time is 4 weeks from reception at Liverpool. Takes 1.5 days to get there, 1.5 to get it back. I know I very recently processed a new

passport. You might make it by skin of your teeth. Getting Emergency appointment at Trendy can be done same day..so do it now! call / email them!

However you may/will have difficulty obtaining a new passport from abroad as you you have to provide bona fide proof of address in the country you are applying from (Thailand, Duh!) I used a letter from bank, and a letter from immigration confirming my address. Anything in Thai you will have to translate into English.

Kasikorn will give you a letter confirming your Thai address in English. Took me a day to get and 3 staff +help from their call centre while in my local branch! (T.I.T....<deleted>)

Also do have a look around for the receipt from the embassy or consulate that issued your visa. It usually has your details on it like Visa number, date of issue, type, fee paid and so on. It may assist you in getting a replacement visa.

Good luck.

I've been through this nonsense with an Ozy passport....ex wife "accidently" washed it! I was in Oz, talked my way onto the plane, landed in Bkk, Immigration nearly had coniptions but allowed me in, went to the embassy, applied and got a new passport, went to immigration and they re-stamped the new passport.......no problem! thumbsup.gifsmile.pngwai.gif

I don't understand how anyone can be so casual with their passport,

its the most important document you have,loose it,wash it,and you have

big problems, that documentary on Bangkok Airport, at the tourist police

office had a draw full of lost passports.

regards Worgeordie

You don't understand, so allow me to explain....

I washed my wife's passport back in 2010. First one I've ever washed in 40 years... no matter how careful you are, you can make mistakes. Maybe you're a rare individual that never makes mistakes?

The only time I take our passports out of our safe is when going to the immigration office. As I wear cargo pants, I put the passport in the big side pocket. Later that day I dumped the pants in the washing basket and totally forgot about the passport. It was a costly mistake. Have you ever accidentally washed clothes with paper, receipts or tissue in the pockets before?

Fortunately the machine was on cold wash and most of the stamps were still readable, but it still wasn't acceptable for travel.

These threads are another reminder why carrying the passport around is a bad idea.

• Like 1