American Turkey Imports Banned ?

BruceMangosteen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a Butterball Turkey Crown from foodland, still have 5 left

Use by date?

Why do you ask that? You really think I would buy one that is out of date after what people have been posting on here? FYI it's Feb 2016

You clearly have no idea of how their supply chain works?

And you clearly haven't shopped for imported turkey products recently at Friendship and seen the date tags that are attached.

what on earth has friendship got to do with foodland completely different companies, so where did you actually buy your turkey? you said foodland not friendship??

I was at Central Food Hall at Central Festival, Chiang Mai today, and there wasn't a turkey in the store. They are advertising prepared stuffed chickens 3kg for around 799 baht in their brochure. I guess I will have to check out Makro to see if there is a supply or not.

And you clearly haven't shopped for imported turkey products recently at Friendship and seen the date tags that are attached.

what on earth has friendship got to do with foodland completely different companies, so where did you actually buy your turkey? you said foodland not friendship??

lemel bought his in Foodland, I bought mine in Friendship. They are BOTH date tagged. That clear now? Good.

Now, tell us where you have bought yours and the basis for your 'last years stock' claim.

Thanks!

NL

lemel bought his in Foodland, I bought mine in Friendship. They are BOTH date tagged. That clear now? Good.

Now, tell us where you have bought yours and the basis for your 'last years stock' claim.

Thanks!

NL

Since imports have been banned for over 12 months it is obvious, wake up at the back!

There is a bit of clinical research that points to tryptophan being involved heavily in the bio cascade of inflamation. That being said I have not seen any Makro US Turkeys for a couple months. I know one restaurant owner who bought all they had at the Makro where I shop.Either 8 or 10 birds.

While Makro on Suk has a sign up mentioning shortage of turkeys, just past the sign on the left hand side last night they had 6 or 7 Norbest (300) & about 10 Butterball (350) along with some turkey breast roasts (450).

Not at all sure what those numbers you are quoting are but they sure aint the prices. The Makro turkeys were upward of 6000 baht a go with some of the larger ones tagged at over 8000 baht.

I can only imagine they will keep adding 500 baht to the half a dozen they restock the freezer with each day until people stop buying them.

While Makro on Suk has a sign up mentioning shortage of turkeys, just past the sign on the left hand side last night they had 6 or 7 Norbest (300) & about 10 Butterball (350) along with some turkey breast roasts (450).

Not at all sure what those numbers you are quoting are but they sure aint the prices. The Makro turkeys were upward of 6000 baht a go with some of the larger ones tagged at over 8000 baht.

I can only imagine they will keep adding 500 baht to the half a dozen they restock the freezer with each day until people stop buying them.

Those are the current correct prices. I got 2 Norbest, both around 6 K, total price around 3500.

post-209502-0-62661800-1447698109_thumb.

Japan selectively lifted bans 6 months ago. If Thailand still has them in place it is probably due to official incompetence or protectionism. The cull was massive.

USA TODAY online had a vid recently advising shoppers to buy early as supermarkets can't fill their orders. Large birds are in short supply.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/28/us-health-birdflu-japan-idUKKCN0QX0GO20150828

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2015/11/06/75341934/

Japan selectively lifted bans 6 months ago. If Thailand still has them in place it is probably due to official incompetence or protectionism.

Thailand has no turkey producing industry to protect that I'm aware of, but it is the world's fourth biggest chicken exporter and tenth biggest producer. So I imagine that they are very worried about their live birds picking up any disease (notably bird flu) from anywhere.

They are sold by weight surely?

Japan has a poultry industry and very cautious, quick to slap bans on foreign products.. I do not know if there is much scientific justification for bans of frozen or processed meat that has passed inspections as Bird Flu is passed by live birds. In this case starting late last year it was passed by wild birds. Japan lifted imports even on live birds 6 months ago, as long as not from the affected areas.

Last week I had a chance to see a supermarket on Guam USA, which should be well stocked with frozen Turkeys this time of year. I counted 4 small and 2x24 pounders in a huge empty freezer case!

Edited by arunsakda

Cheapest Butterball's so far were at Villa yesterday. There was four of the huge 6000 baht birds and about ten of the more reasonable 3500 baht ones yesterday morning. At 8 PM last night, the four big ones were still there but only three of the smaller ones were left.

I went turkey shopping at Central Chidlom in BKK today, and unlike last year, no sales promotions on turkey in the week before Thanksgiving, at least, not yet.

The Central Chidlom market had just one full frozen turkey in the case, but 10 or so Butterball brand turkey breast items of various styles, prices varying between 899 and 1399 baht per kilo. Last year, I bought the same frozen breast on sale for 599b at the same market shortly before Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, my local Foodland store had no frozen turkey breasts and only ONE full frozen turkey, a 4 kg bird that they were asking about 1900b for.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK