American Turkey Imports Banned ?

BruceMangosteen

Before the ban. Makro charged between 155 and 165 per kilo. The majority of the birds were 6k...........I used to buy them all the time. I have a commercial smoker oven and liked cooking them pretty much year round.

Edited by NickJ

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makro (north) had plenty last week. Mostly Norbest but a few Butterballs - both 300B per kilo.

Loads of Norbest's and Butterball's at Villa as well.

Yes there are. They had two cabinets full of them today although they are charging 690B a kilo vs Macro's 300B.

Before the ban. Makro charged between 155 and 165 per kilo. The majority of the birds were 6k...........I used to buy them all the time. I have a commercial smoker oven and liked cooking them pretty much year round.

Thems would be some big birds. smile.png

At 160B a kilo they'd have to be going on for 40kg each to cost 6k baht.blink.png

Same here, the last two years I've cooked a turkey from Makro every few months. The price was around 1000 Baht for a +/-6kg bird, though Butterball were a few Baht more expensive than Norbest. No way am I paying 3000 Baht++ for the same thing.

I couldn't figure it out at first, the sudden absence of turkeys this year. I take it the ones I managed to hunt down in Friendship and Villa would have to be old stock, although I couldn't bring myself to even think about paying the sort of prices they're asking (around 600 baht a kilo!).

Sad, Central Festival were selling the smaller ones (4-5 kilos) for around 199 baht a kilo the last few years, so it looks like it's going to be duck this time around.

I notice also the Christmas puds have all shot up in price, enough to encourage me into kitchen to make my own, along with the piccalilli, pickled onions and stuffing!

Never mind, fingers crossed for next year.

I notice also the Christmas puds have all shot up in price, enough to encourage me into kitchen to make my own, along with the piccalilli, pickled onions and stuffing!

The Thai authorities must have heard about the outbreak of Christmas Pudding flu in Britain and acted accordingly. :)

Not being american and with no interest in thanksgiving, I was out trying to find a turkey for Christmas yesterday after the niece called to tell me that Top in Central World was running out and were charging 1000/kg for what was left. Checked at Villa, and they have 5kg or 9kg birds available at 650/kg but limited supply. In the end we found a single bird and a single crown at 375/kg at Foodland - maybe there are more available in other branches for those living near Bangkok. If you ring around to the shops they will hold them for you.

Christmas is sorted for us at any rate.

Tops at Central Chidlom, at least around Thanksgiving time, had a much larger selection of frozen turkeys than their CW branch. But I haven't been back to check on them since.

The prices, however, were in the 699 to 1399 baht per kilo range, with the breasts only being at the higher end of that per kilo range vs the whole birds at the lower end..