Russian airliner crashes in central Sinai - Egyptian PM

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

Russian airliner crashes in central Sinai - Egyptian PM

A Russian airliner has crashed in central Sinai with more than 200 people on board, the office of Egypt's prime minister has confirmed.

The Airbus A-321 had just left the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, bound for the Russian city of St Petersburg.

Wreckage of the plane has been found in the Hassana area. It disappeared from radar screens when travelling at 9,500m (31,000ft), Egyptian officials said.

Egyptian officials said most on board are likely to have died.

The plane was operated by the small Russian airline Kogalymavia, based in western Siberia.

Russian authorities say it was carrying 217 passengers, 17 of them children, and seven crew. Most were Russian tourists.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-10-31

Two interesting points just came on SkyNews

1) Fuselage is broken in two, so indicates a controlled "landing" of sorts.

2) Speculation of some survivors - voices heard from inside the fuselage....

So far for

The passenger plane that crashed in Egypt's Sinai on Saturday was completely destroyed and most of those on board are likely to have died, an Egyptian security officer who had recently arrived at the scene told Reuters.

And how do you attempt a controlled landing with a plane that dives at almost 2000 m/sec?

Edited by TheCruncher

Waiting on the cause....no reports yet of reasons for the crash.

I would not rule out an attack....seems too sureal.

If it was...then I suspect it is only the beginning.

If some terrorists moderate rebels shot down the airplane with some anti airplane weapon supplied by the USA, than we can start digging bunkers......

Lets hope it was technical problem or the pilots fault.....

What's a " moderate rebels " ? the one who let you know before he kills you, or the one that kills

only a few and not all? no such thing as moderate rebels, they're all murderers terrorists, with one

cause, to enrich themselves and to rule of a minions of brain dead Muslims in the name of Allah...

RT @RT_com

LATEST: 17 youngsters were on board #7K9268, at least 5 children found dead by rescuers - Egyptian officials http://on.rt.com/6v35

RT @RT_com

#7K9268: 100 bodies, incl 5 children, extracted from crashed jet – Egyptian officer at scene http://on.rt.com/6v35

Starting to believe it was just lack of maintenance/preflight inspection.

Russia still has a long way to go....and lacks the proper skills and materials.

Tragic...but I read that the pilot radioed that there were "technical" problems.

In the same article...they have not ruled out "other" causes...but insist the craft should not have had "maintenance issues".

Anybody's guess....and I suppose the Russians do not want to embarass themselves by being at fault (mechanical failure due to incompetence). Nor would the Egyptians want to admit there was some kind of foul play involved (until they sorted it all out.)

Edited by slipperylobster

Lots of possibilities including compression from an improperly closed rear door and a crew lacking the skills to manage the problem. Security are Sharmel Sheik is bound to be tight so getting a bomb on board would not be easy. There has been no evidence of the Bedouins in the Sinai having surface to air missiles nor would. they have the motive.

Airbus will certainly be despatching a team of investigators, probably by the end of the day as the Egyptians will not have the resources to deal with this tragedy.

^^ If the map is correct, it went down a long way away from Syria. The people with weapons in that area would be Egyptians, Israelis, Palestinians or the local ISIS sympathizers.

Of course, it could just be an accident, it's really too early to speculate

Never to early to speculate.

Avoid speculation once the facts are known.

Edited by Lampang2

UPDATE: "Airplane most likely hit ground at slow speed" -Aviation analyst John Cox on reports plane split in half. - @AimanJarrar

31/10/2015 18:19

The black boxes of the A321 have been located

Airbus A321 aircraft involved in crash of flight #7K9268 was involved in tail strike accident in 2001:

31/10/2015 18:23

NEWS: #7K9268 showing evidence of a controlled crash landing. by AimanJarrar

Airlive.net

31 October 2015

11:27 GMT

President Putin has declared November 1 a day of mourning, the Kremlin's press office reports.

11:20 GMT

The bodies of all 17 children aboard the Kolavia flights have been pulled from the wreckage, Egypt's aviation authority reports.

11:11 GMT

Egypt's aviation authority is now refuting earlier claims that on-board recording devices were uncovered in the search of the crash site.

Reuters, however, says the black boxes were indeed found by the rescue workers, citing security sources at the site.

11:10 GMT

Relatives of the deceased are gathering at the Pulkovo airport. A help center has been set up to assist them.

rt.com

RT @evanchill: Journalist says local tribe told the army they saw the plane go down in fire and smoke.

tail end was reported as burned up....Engine/fuel/electrical? ...or other?

no followup...no survivors....total loss?

black box would be there. I don't expect them to release anything anyways. They will make their own story up....as usual.

Seems to be a squabble about the black box...and Egypt is following orders from the Russians to backtrack. The cat is out of the bag though...security forces report that it has indeed been found. Now we enter the black hole.

Edited by slipperylobster

If some terrorists moderate rebels shot down the airplane with some anti airplane weapon supplied by the USA, than we can start digging bunkers......

Extremely possible to be a retaliatory act. As the commentator above says 'Lets hope it was a technical problem or the pilots fault.

Extremely possible to be a retaliatory act. As the commentator above says 'Lets hope it was a technical problem or the pilots fault.

Don't think airbus nor myself hope for that.

Looks like some early markers laid by two of the concerned parties.

Egypt states that no security issues involved. Russian airline has just indicated 'no human error'.

Seems they are pretty keen to point fingers away from their areas of responsibility.

Rather too soon to be issuing such statements but no surprise given those involved.