Dogs, Religion and Culture

What religion or culture teaches that dogs should be treated at a higher level than one's neighbors?

I visited a friend the other day at very nice residential community and his neighbor has adopted seven soi dogs who bark and howl intermittently. My friend told me that the couple are known to save soi dogs which is fine with him. But why keep them at his home?

He has complained many times for disturbing their sleep. He will now take legal action on grounds of public nuisance law. I want to know what is with these people? Don't they realize that they are being terrible neighbors and putting their love of dogs above common courtesy and good neighborly relations? Oh, by the way they are English!

Nor nationality - many people I've met here, like myself, had little or no contact with dogs until coming to live in LOS and all of a sudden we feel sorry for soi dogs and start feeding same and leaving water out for them. I suppose 'not working' has something to do with it but I agree with the OP, you don't have to take them in. If you do, you are seen as taking responsibility for them so if they bite anyone or make a lot of noise it's down to you.

In England the ownership of dogs is strictly controlled and it seems like these people can't get over the fact that it's not here and they've gone a bit silly with it!

Personally I think there's something lacking in people who need pets and have met many so called animal lovers who leave their pet dogs locked up in a flat all day alone not to mention the fish in bowls birds in cages and rabbits in hutches brigade.

If you really love animals, I suggest you start off by not eating them, don't keep them in captivity and just enjoy the sight of them in the wild.

Edited by piersbeckett

Nor nationality - many people I've met here, like myself, had little or no contact with dogs until coming to live in LOS and all of a sudden we feel sorry for soi dogs and start feeding same and leaving water out for them. I suppose 'not working' has something to do with it but I agree with the OP, you don't have to take them in. If you do, you are seen as taking responsibility for them so if they bite anyone or make a lot of noise it's down to you.

In England the ownership of dogs is strictly controlled and it seems like these people can't get over the fact that it's not here and they've gone a bit silly with it!

Personally I think there's something lacking in people who need pets and have met many so called animal lovers who leave their pet dogs locked up in a flat all day alone not to mention the fish in bowls birds in cages and rabbits in hutches brigade.

If you really love animals, I suggest you start off by not eating them, don't keep them in captivity and just enjoy the sight of them in the wild.

Excellent Comment..... And this is why I am a Vegetarian.....

I Love all Animals.......

But before doing that, consider the possible consequences for these dogs if their owners have to get rid of them.

The question is why do they howl all night? Well cared for dogs will not do this unless there is an intruder or other reason to raise an alarm.

But before doing that, consider the possible consequences for these dogs if their owners have to get rid of them.

The question is why do they howl all night? Well cared for dogs will not do this unless there is an intruder or other reason to raise an alarm.

I care for my dogs very well, yet they howl at night calling for a female in heat. They also group howl for some reason beyond my hearing capability, and then suddenly stop, all together, same instant, like flipping a light switch.

Some whining expats love to exaggerate things, the reality is far from it.

In my moobaan, when i first moved in there were robberies on daily basis.

Since my gang of 6 moved in, there has not been a single robbery or a break in.

On the opposite side, robberies are a nightly occurrence.

My dogs know all the people who live there and ONLY go nuts when someone who they do not know approaches the house or walks past.

This most certainly wakes up the neighbors, but then who would be wondering around in dead end street in close gated housing?

One neighbor decided to complain and was abused by all others, stating if it was not for my dogs, they would be robbed daily.

I always keep mine inside the house, but all neighbors insists i put them outside at night, as it really gives them peace of mind.

PS. I am certain dogs do not howl all night long, but might let out a few howls here the there.

I care for my dogs very well, yet they howl at night calling for a female in heat. They also group howl for some reason beyond my hearing capability, and then suddenly stop, all together, same instant, like flipping a light switch.

The only reason i can see them howling for a female is because they are not desexed and there is a female in heat nearby.

Desexing them or bar fining a girl would fix the problemgiggle.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by konying

And can be seen in their natural environment at any number of sois at most times of day or night.

I find it amazing that dog lovers are able to excuse so much bad behavior by their animals. I am amazed that they do not train their animals to be more considerate of those of us who do not want the abuse.

Same could be said about alcoholic expats who do not seem to be able to control themselves not only to cause nuisance and embarrassments but show little consideration for others.

If you wanted to live in nanny state, then you should NOT have moved to SE Asia.

With benefits of young girls, there are many unpleasantry's that come along as well, thumbsup.gif

My dogs know all the people who live there and ONLY go nuts when someone who they do not know approaches the house or walks past.

This most certainly wakes up the neighbors, but then who would be wondering around in dead end street in close gated housing?

One neighbor decided to complain and was abused by all others, stating if it was not for my dogs, they would be robbed daily.

I always keep mine inside the house, but all neighbors insists i put them outside at night, as it really gives them peace of mind.

PS. I am certain dogs do not howl all night long, but might let out a few howls here the there.

I agree but only up to point. What would you do if one or more of your dogs consistently attacked and sank their teeth into passers-by?

Last year I moved to a rental in a resort having one owner. On this plot is a policeman who has no less than 14 dogs which roam all day and night. Three of these dogs will attack and bite without provocation including neighbours that have lived there for years. In the last couple of months a small boy, two girls and the owner's sister living on an adjoining have all been bitten, the boy seriously. I'm told that nothing can be done because the dogs belong to a policeman.

I have had many pets in the past including cats and dogs, birds etc. but in my view there is only one place for dogs anywhere that have a taste for human blood.

I agree but only up to point. What would you do if one or more of your dogs consistently attacked and sank their teeth into passers-by?

Last year I moved to a rental in a resort having one owner. On this plot is a policeman who has no less than 14 dogs which roam all day and night. Three of these dogs will attack and bite without provocation including neighbours that have lived there for years. In the last couple of months a small boy, two girls and the owner's sister living on an adjoining have all been bitten, the boy seriously. I'm told that nothing can be done because the dogs belong to a policeman.

I have had many pets in the past including cats and dogs, birds etc. but in my view there is only one place for dogs anywhere that have a taste for human blood.

Why would my dogs attack passers by when they behind the gates?

However they would rip someone apart if somone tried to enter the house.

Those who live here are no problem and being dead end street there is absolutely no reason to be passing by in the middle of the night ;)

Try the obtuse Thai way - ask your neighbour how he manages to sleep at night with all that howling, because you find it impossible.

With a friendly smile of course.

May be because they do not howl all night but mighty farang is bothered even by one bark.

Just a thought .

What usually happens to dogs like that here, is they are thrown some meat well dosed with Rat poison, Policeman's dogs or not, by Thais, not falangs, if they carry on biting Thais, it will happen...

What usually happens to dogs like that here, is they are thrown some meat well dosed with Rat poison, Policeman's dogs or not, by Thais, not falangs, if they carry on biting Thais, it will happen...

Nothing but yet another farang created fear mongering myth,

Sure it may happen, but nowhere near as often as some people like to make out.

I have a few nasty dogs living in the soi, and nothing has happened to them for past 6-7 years

Just like all myth its baseless, because Thai would not do it to another thai in fear of retaliation.

The only reason i can see them howling for a female is because they are not desexed and there is a female in heat nearby....

My thought exactly...and my definition of well cared for includes neutering.

Perhaps have a chat with them and ask if they have considered neutering/spaying the dogs.

Of course dogs that attack and bite people unprovoked are an entirely different matter (we have one on my street...) but what the OP refers to is only nighttime barking.

Some barking from time to time is to be expected and as another poster pointed out may well help protect the neighborhood...because they will be barking at something or someone who does not belong there.

But if they are truly howling all night, there is something amiss. Not being neutered and a female in heat nearby that they can't get to would be a common cause. To which there is a solution.

In Europe where i spend the rainy season many people

own dogs, at first i couldn't understand it as i've never

owned a dog but i've come to understand dogs are

used as a substitute for an alarm system, where i live

they bark constantly, and no one seems bothered.

Can't complain, no one listens, the police responded

''how can we tell a dog not to bark'' left me speechless

me thinks, this is what i get for living in a backward

country, can't wait to move to a better backward

country.

My friend has a dog and she can't change her house to get a new one because most houses will not accept a tenant with a dog. This is in Hat Yai. So many houses will not accept her to rent because she has a dog. Why? She said because of barking and disturbing neighbors. What do most of these women do with these small dogs? I keep seeing some funny things between them.

My friend has a dog and she can't change her house to get a new one because most houses will not accept a tenant with a dog. This is in Hat Yai. So many houses will not accept her to rent because she has a dog. Why? She said because of barking and disturbing neighbors. What do most of these women do with these small dogs? I keep seeing some funny things between them.

I believe Hat Yai is a muslim place,

Muslims hate dogs because something about being dirty animal.

I am guessing the reason for not being able to get a house is muslim owners

I believe Hat Yai is a muslim place,

Muslims hate dogs because something about being dirty animal.

I am guessing the reason for not being able to get a house is muslim owners

Good reasoning and I will find out from her. On the other hand I don't think all the houses that she has gone to are owned by Muslims. She has visited quite many and always can't rent it out to a dog owner.