Starting all over again in Thailand - what would you do different?

flyDelight

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conned by Thais. Fully aware that there are good &. bad people everywhere. Where to begin...maids stealing, gardener stealing. Deposit paid for pest control - never saw them again. I could go on.....& not only me, so many of my friends. I suppose one comfort is that Thais cheat other Thais as well

Florida seems to come up quite a bit in threads. A popular place to leave. Or relocate to.

I think this is the reason that more Americans aren't expats. With America having 5X the population of the UK for instance, one might expect that Thailand would be overflowing with Americans but it doesn't seem like that to me. It seems to me that Brits and Aussies are over-represented based on populations.

The topic is "What would you do different". I tried being an expat in Thailand and I lasted a little less than a year. I've made numerous trips but months, not years is long enough, just for me.

I'm doing what "I would do differently". I'm thinking of moving to the SE US and perhaps Florida but at the least a nearby state such as Georgia. If I do I will still keep my home and car where I am, and all legalities running such as driver's license, car, home and health insurance valid and so on.

Giving it all up for a place that's insecure where I don't even qualify for health insurance much less can I own land and a house is now out of the question. I gave up my rented condo at the Riverside Apartments in Chiang Mai last year because I don't want to be tied down when I travel.

When I step off that plane and onto US soil I know I have a right to be here and I know there is the rule of law. People obey traffic laws and pick up don't drop litter. I really get tired of the litter. Americans have a choice of so many different climates and scenery and local food and...

To each his own but I did change and "do it differently". I'm happy with my choice as I can get onto a plane to almost anywhere, almost any time. I really feel free when I am in Thailand because I'm not stuck there.

Cheers.

Florida coast has the "feel" of Thailand with the palm trees and such.

Climate is not radically hot like Thailand.

Beaches and the water is super clean. Tons of excellent fishing.

Walk any beach in Florida and you will think twice about how sexy you think Thai girls are.

The girls on the beach are tanned and super fit, friendly as well. Same as in Thailand you see some older dodgers with money with some real hotties.

Where I live no worries about crime, however, it is easy for residents to get a concealed carry permit.

Area I live is super clean and well maintained by the city.

Everything is close by and I mean minutes away.

Beachside where we live have the kids school, 2 major grocery stores, the bank, medical, dental, gas all with 2 minutes. That beats getting stuck in Bangkok traffic for hours.

All in all, the quality of life is 10 times higher (which all the haters really despise me saying this).

If you are not a drunk or a whoremonger and have a family, I do not see how in the world Thailand could be the best place????

Kids will grow up and be stuck in a less than 15,000 thb per month job the rest of their lives (if they graduate Uni) and never own anything.

Easy to get around in the USA. You could spend years not seeing all the cool things to do and see in Florida.

4 Cruise ships parked 14 miles away. Special weekend cruises to the Bahamas as low as $69.

Get to see all the Rocket launches from Cape Canaveral

Disney World, Sea World, Universal studies and more less than 40 minutes away in Orlando. That will make you the real hero with your kids.

Small international Airport in town, or Orlando international. Can find cheap flight to anywhere.

Cuba is opening up to tourists, a super cool experience better than Thailand.

Easy access to all the Islands.

The best reason I can see is no hassle with VISA's or language or scams, or people just not liking you because you are a farang.

My family never wants to go back to their own country.

That says it all to me.

You can always change if your current situation is not working out.

By the way, I had nothing in the USA to come back to and started all over from zero.

I do have an advanced education, but I can tell you after being in Thailand for 10+ years that was not looked upon very highly by employers here in the USA.

I was finally able to find a good job, then spent the next 15 months it took to get my wife's VISA approved to buy a house, cars, furnish the house, etc. so everything would be in place when they arrived.

There are a ton of ways to do this if you have common sense and ambition.