What is the status of the supposed new kind of visa?

ok; opinions

who really is this new METV for that can qualify for it?

The only ones that would really be able to use it (backpackers/travelers/ kids on gap years) cant qualify for it.

You are exactly correct, if indeed the financial requirements are enforced, once again the Thai government shoots itself in the foot, or appears to.

Not just the financial requirements, but the proof of employment in your home country too. It would appear that the Thai government have closed a hole that the "digital nomads" were hiding in ?

Any digital-nomad with enough income to live OK in Thailand, can surely set up a business in their own country. It is not expensive in most USA-states - not sure about Euro-land. Wording for DC-consulate is "business license or business registration". One could just form an "S-Corp."

This would not preclude those doing "5-flags theory" economics and personal planning, billing most receipts through their off-shore entities in Panama, etc.

seems we all read English but not all understand it :-)

NOT just for us citizens!!

or a valid visa for the states

I expect they will want the non US citizen to have a visa for work or study to demonstrate a semi-permanence in the US. I doubt a non US citizen with a tourist visa for the US would qualify.
Lots of people in US are permanent residents, not citizens.

It's a pre stage to citizenship.

Not all of them ever bother being naturalized into citizens.

Yes. I was referring specifically to the valid visa clause.

ok; opinions

The only ones that would really be able to use it (backpackers/travelers/ kids on gap years) cant qualify for it.

You are exactly correct, if indeed the financial requirements are enforced, once again the Thai government shoots itself in the foot, or appears to.

I doubt it was conceived with backpackers in mind.

A single entry tourist visa would cover most backpacker needs. Few are likely stay in Thailand for more than 3 months and those that do can get another visa locally.

When my daughter travelled the longest she stayed in any country was Bali and that was as a volunteer.

Edited by elviajero

Not 7500 dollars on deposit but 7500 dollars income for every month earned.That is an proven salary of 7500 dollars a month.

It doesn't say that at all.It says minimum balance must not be below $7K for 6 months.

Only sort of! This one from Zurich actually states "prove (proof) of a job" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867242-what-is-the-status-of-the-supposed-new-kind-of-visa/?p=10027611

Good for me, I stay typically 3 weeks in Thailand and go back to my home country for work 3 weeks. And then come back for another 3 weeks "holiday" tongue.png and so it goes....

Why good? By law, you could do this on visa exempt without spending money or time for a visa. But since a time already, Immigration is giving a real hard time to those using repeated visa exempt entry.

Good for me, I stay typically 3 weeks in Thailand and go back to my home country for work 3 weeks. And then come back for another 3 weeks "holiday" tongue.png and so it goes....

Why good? By law, you could do this on visa exempt without spending money or time for a visa. But since a time already, Immigration is giving a real hard time to those using repeated visa exempt entry.

" But since a time already, Immigration is giving a real hard time to those using repeated visa exempt entry."

Not universally true.

Briefly a friend who is married to a Thai works abroad. He uses VE entries when returning to Thailand and never stays beyond 28 days.

My friend was once challenged about his use of VE entries by an IO. A satisfactory explanation was provided and he has never been challenged again.

I will meet my friend at the airport next Friday when he will again enter the country with a VE entry.

So , if a person who is retired and gets $2000 per month but spends $500 for their upkeep- That leaves $1500 per month they can spend. Within a 6 month period they have more than $7000 but their average per month is less than $7000 as they need to exist during the month. This person can still travel and exist well on $1500 per month even though their monthly average is below $7000. If they hold to this it will exclude many visitors due to the income requirement.

Income doesn't come in to it. All they want is a bank statement showing a minimum balance of 7,000 dollars for 6 months. Surely someone that is retired would have more than that sitting in a bank.

but they also ask for evidence of employment which a retired person wont have

ok; opinions

folks who have jobs and 7000 in the bank. no retired folks need apply

ok; opinions

Retired as I am I need 800 KBaht.

A bit more than 7000 USD.

ok; opinions

Surely, that's for the Retirement extension, and presumably, you're living in Thailand, rather than being a visiting tourist?

Hardly comparable, wouldn't you agree?

ok; opinions

exactly, with no job you dont seem to be eligible and must get non-o

ok; opinions

exactly, with no job you dont seem to be eligible and must get non-o

That's ludicrous!

The Non O visa with a retirement extension is for people who want to live in Thailand.

I live in UK, have no full-time job, do have sufficient money saved but am not old enough to get an "O" because i don't yet receive a UK State pension. (see the requirements on the Embassy website)

I want to visit Thailand for 6 months and and take side trips to Cambodia, Vietnam, or wherever. That makes me a Tourist almost by definition! All of it could have been done 100% legally and EASILY with the old double/triple-entry TV.

Edited by VBF

ok; opinions

Surely, that's for the Retirement extension, and presumably, you're living in Thailand, rather than being a visiting tourist?

9 month versus 12?

Or retired vs working?

<sarcasm>

Sure, whoever heard of a 55-year-old retiree traveling anywhere for pleasure. The only reason they would ever move from in front of their TV at home is to find a cheaper place to live, right? Anyway, should they really want to engage in tourism, they should not be so stupid as to keep their money in investments. If they kept it all as cash in bank, they could easily meet the requirements for a Non-Imm O visa, and there is no regulation against pleasure travel using that.

</sarcasm>

• Like 2

<sarcasm>

Sure, whoever heard of a 55-year-old retiree traveling anywhere for pleasure. The only reason they would ever move from in front of their TV at home is to find a cheaper place to live, right? Anyway, should they really want to engage in tourism, they should not be so stupid as to keep their money in investments. If they kept it all as cash in bank, they could easily meet the requirements for a Non-Imm O visa, and there is no regulation against pleasure travel using that.

</sarcasm>

seems pretty ridiculous dont it??

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

seems pretty ridiculous dont it??

AYJAYDEE -Exactly my point - there should be no requirement to show proof of employment to get a TOURIST visa - it's ridiculous!
Lampang2 - Please READ what I said - I live in UK and VISIT Thailand (hopefully) for 6 months. if i wanted to live in Thailand, i'd convert a TV to an O in Bangkok, put the money in a Thai bank and apply for a retirement extension. I just want to ...tour....as a tourist making multiple entries for goodness sake!
BritTim - cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif
Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Most likely they'll end up requiring one document or the other, not both - either job proof or proof of funds. Like retirement extensions require 800k or 40k/mo.

Pretty sure they'll realise some people are cashed up and currently unemployed / retired at under 50, and refusing those people harms their bottom line and coveted TAT statistics.

• Like 1

Most likely they'll end up requiring one document or the other, not both - either job proof or proof of funds. Like retirement extensions require 800k or 40k/mo.

Pretty sure they'll realise some people are cashed up and currently unemployed / retired at under 50, and refusing those people harms their bottom line and coveted TAT statistics.

Now that would be logical....but if you look at some of the screenshots form various embassies, that's NOT what is presently being mooted....plus you forgot one important point....TIT! facepalm.gif

• Like 1

hope youre right

So , if a person who is retired and gets $2000 per month but spends $500 for their upkeep- That leaves $1500 per month they can spend. Within a 6 month period they have more than $7000 but their average per month is less than $7000 as they need to exist during the month. This person can still travel and exist well on $1500 per month even though their monthly average is below $7000. If they hold to this it will exclude many visitors due to the income requirement.

There is no income requirement, you can't read.

Some details of the new Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) are yet to be announced. However, it may not be what you are looking for. It allows unlimited entries into Thailand for six months after the visa is issued, but each entry allows a stay for a maximum of 60 days (extendable at immigration for an additional 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht). Thus, border hops are still required if wishing to stay for an extended period. Further, there are some indications that the METV may only be available from your home country.

If your parents are over 50, a better option is a Non-Imm O visa that can be extended at an immigration office in Thailand for a year at a time, based on 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht per month in income.

GLBV. I bet you get as many different opinions here as you do replies to your post. If your immigrations friend does not have the up to date information, why on earth would you think anyone here whoud have the answer? You also mentioned November; well today is only the first day of the month so hang on and finally, go ask this question at immigrations and I bet you will get different answers too. Good luck

GLBV. I bet you get as many different opinions here as you do replies to your post. If your immigrations friend does not have the up to date information, why on earth would you think anyone here whoud have the answer? You also mentioned November; well today is only the first day of the month so hang on and finally, go ask this question at immigrations and I bet you will get different answers too. Good luck

With some details yet to be announced, especially policies of important consulates in neighboring countries, it is understandable that there is a lack of consensus. By the way, officials at immigration offices are not suitable people to ask for clarification. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for overall direction. For local rules, the embassy/consulate should be asked directly. As the deadline approaches, consular officials should be clear on the rules.

Immigration officials at offices in Thailand are, in general, not good people to ask about visa applications outside the country.

Edited by BritTim

With some details yet to be announced, especially policies of important consulates in neighboring countries, it is understandable that there is a lack of consensus. By the way, officials at immigration offices are not suitable people to ask for clarification. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for overall direction. For local rules, the embassy/consulate should be asked directly. As the deadline approaches, consular officials should be clear on the rules.

Immigration officials at offices in Thailand are, in general, not good people to ask about visa applications outside the country.

lol! my local consulate still hasnt heard about the 30 day visa exempt for G7 and the fact that double entry tourist has a validity of 180 days!

Edited by AYJAYDEE

I know that, but I have also been questioned by immigration officers. So for peace of mind I will gladly apply for this METV.

Edited by Namplik

lol! my local consulate still hasnt heard about the 30 day visa exempt for G7 and the fact that double entry tourist has a validity of 180 days!

There is no compelling reason why consular officials need to know the rules for visa exempt entries, though it would certainly be nice if they could answer questions about them. Consulates issue visas. Entry without a visa is a matter for border control immigration officials to deal with.

On 90-day versus 180-day validity on double entry tourist visas, it is true that the default is 180 days. However, some offices, especially those close to Thailand, only provide 90-day validity. This is policy not ignorance.

There is no compelling reason why consular officials need to know the rules for visa exempt entries, though it would certainly be nice if they could answer questions about them. Consulates issue visas. Entry without a visa is a matter for border control immigration officials to deal with.

On 90-day versus 180-day validity on double entry tourist visas, it is true that the default is 180 days. However, some offices, especially those close to Thailand, only provide 90-day validity. This is policy not ignorance.

youre batting 0.000. they specifically state 15 days on their site and the office is nowhere near thailand and the embassy in the same country says 180 days

The validity of double entry tourist visas is 3 or 6 months. Not 90 or 180 days.

Now that would be logical....but if you look at some of the screenshots form various embassies, that's NOT what is presently being mooted....plus you forgot one important point....TIT! facepalm.gif

Right, they're not explicitly saying we must provide every document on the list either though. Just 'required' then a numbered list, the person writing it probably doesn't even know what they'll end up enforcing.

Can't imagine them wanting to scrutinize tons of paperwork and phone up people's work to check if these under 50s are really employed. Unless some thaivisa regs volunteer their services for that part.

• Like 1