Questions asked on return to the UK

Just wondered if it was general for Thais on settlement visas to get the third degree on returning to the UK. A year ago my wife was asked how long she intended to sta. Seemed a strange question to ask as she had a settlement visa. This time it was when did she return to Thailand, what was she doing, how many children did she have what where their ages, how old where my kids, what was my job, where did I work.

Again seemed very strange to ask all this on a settlement visa.

Makes you wonder what they asked Shaker Aamer given he had been absent for over 14 years.

My bet would be that they had all that information in front of them and were trying to see if her answers matched up with what is on her paperwork- that the story hadn't changed.

I suspect they ferret out sham marriages on a weekly (if not daily) basis that way... Easy to remember a fib for a visa interview. Not so easy to recall it a couple of years later...

But that's just a guess.

Edit: And I suspect there's a note in her file saying whether she speaks English or not, and it's not wise to act like she doesn't if her interview(s) were in perfect English.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Well for a start I don't work at the same place that I was working at 36 months ago when the settlement visa was applied for. Struck me as being spur of the moment.

I told her next time to call me and I would go through security and answer any questions that they had that applied to me. The answer to where does your husband work was here.

Edited by theoldgit
Changed to default font

I may be wrong, but it could have been in connection with this: From ILR Rules!

"Please note that once you have been granted ILR, it is important to try to not spend 2 years or over outside of the UK, as this can lead to it being revoked"

Well for a start I don't work at the same place that I was working at 36 months ago when the settlement visa was applied for. Struck me as being spur of the moment.

I told her next time to call me and I would go through security and answer any questions that they had that applied to me. The answer to where does your husband work was here.

If she made it through last time, why change? You may just throw suspicion on her and open yourselves to a more onerous process if you insist on answering for her (if they even let you)..

They won't know if you're coaching her because she gets nervous, or because of the 20 pounds of cocaine in your luggage.

Makes you wonder what they asked Shaker Aamer given he had been absent for over 14 years.

How is this relevant?

Even UKVI know where he was and why he was absent for so long!

Unless you are saying that your wife was returning to the UK after being illegally detained without charge, let alone trial, by the US authorities!

If she can't speak English, they won't question her.

"Hello, I'm on holiday, I can't speak English"

Repeat until passed through.

Wrong.

Non English speakers whom immigration wish to question will be detained until an interpreter can be arranged.

Anyone settled in the UK but not holding a British passport is quite likely to be questioned for a variety of reasons, very few of them sinister.

As suggested these questions will help confirm the identity of the passenger and also give information about absences from the UK which could impact on further visa applications. I suspect for the large part, they do it because they can!

They are looking for signs that something does not add up. Someone settled in the UK that claims they are here on holiday and don't speak English are quite likely to be detained for questioning as both suggest they are not settled in the UK therefore the visa may no longer be appropriate.

As long as they are polite and pleasant, they are just doing their job!

As suggested these questions will help confirm the identity of the passenger

Isn't that what the passport is for. It seems a bit odd to me to ask somebody who is on a settlement visa, tourist visa I can understand.

I used to get pulled up when returning to the UK with my kids but without my wife. They would ask me if I was the kids father. Always seems odd to me because if I wasn't would I admit it. Plus the fact the 3 passports applied for at the same time had, with in a few digits, sequential numbers. I used to take their birth certificates on holiday after that.

"This time?" When was that?

Very recently one assumes, otherwise you would have brought this up before; you are, after all, not shy about posting your thoughts on UKVI!

Since at least last June you have regularly been asking about her FLR application and complaining about the difficulties you have experienced over that. Only last week you said that your solicitor had succeeded in making a premium appointment for her when you had been unable to do so after many attempts to do so!.

How can she be making an FLR application if she is out of the UK?

Answer; she can't!

Maybe immigration questioned her so thoroughly because they called up her records and saw that she was in the process of applying for FLR and therefore wanted to ensure the person front of them was, indeed, who she said she was and not someone using your wife's passport fraudulently.

Of course, immigration have the right to question any non British citizen who is seeking entrance to the UK; regardless of the type of visa or LTR they hold.

I think at some time I made the point that she returned to renew her passport, and to see her son who was refused a settlement visa. I assume that she has the right to visits her son and her parents? Is it frowned upon for a spouse to make visits to her home country?

"Of course, immigration have the right to question any non British citizen who is seeking entrance to the UK; regardless of the type of visa or LTR they hold."

Well yes I suppose they do but I assume that they must have some relevance, otherwise why ask.

Asking, how long will you be staying in the UK, to somebody holding a settlement visa does seem a particularly dumb question. I just wondered how general it was to ask dumb questions.

Well you have to forgive for thinking that sometimes the questions seem to serve no purpose. My wife was quite distressed by it. I am not sure how the questioning would sort it whether she had been in a sham marriage or not. As I said I just wondered how normal it was.

Edited by theoldgit
Changed to default font

My wife gets asked all those questions everytime. Asking how long you intend to stay, would probably be a routine question trying to find out those who over stay. Maybe the officer asked your wife from a matter of habit?

Nobody should really have a problem with the questions. Unless you're in a sham marriage perhaps.

• Like 1

You will probably be aware that Border Force Officers do not encourage holders of Airside Passes to visit their area when relatives and friends are clearing Immigration, in fact they actively discourage it, I think your solution could cause more problems than it addresses.

It is extremely unlikely that you would be allowed airside but it is helpful to have a mobile number so they can call if there are concerns. My wife has always been able to give as she gets so these questions have not generally phased her.

If the Border Force officer has caused your wife upset by his or her behaviour then you have the option to make a complaint.

Thai immigration staff can be a miserable lot to deal with on arrival. Once had a senior officer who smiled and had a good chat with my younger son (some in 'pigeon' Thai!!) about the football kit he was wearing. You could have knocked me down with a feather but it was a wonderful start to our holiday!

Edited by bobrussell

bobrussell, on 03 Nov 2015 - 16:39, said:

It is extremely unlikely that you would be allowed airside but it is helpful to have a mobile number so they can call if there are concerns. My wife has always been able to give as she gets so these questions have not generally phased her.

He has indicated that he has a security pass, if he's referring to his Airside Pass, then he could very well make his way to the Border and present himself to an officer, but would almost certainly cause him a problem

• Like 1

Very recently one assumes, otherwise you would have brought this up before; you are, after all, not shy about posting your thoughts on UKVI!

Since at least last June you have regularly been asking about her FLR application and complaining about the difficulties you have experienced over that. Only last week you said that your solicitor had succeeded in making a premium appointment for her when you had been unable to do so after many attempts to do so!.

Answer; she can't!

Maybe immigration questioned her so thoroughly because they called up her records and saw that she was in the process of applying for FLR and therefore wanted to ensure the person front of them was, indeed, who she said she was and not someone using your wife's passport fraudulently.

Of course, immigration have the right to question any non British citizen who is seeking entrance to the UK; regardless of the type of visa or LTR they hold.

I think at some time I made the point that she returned to renew her passport, and to see her son who was refused a settlement visa. I assume that she has the right to visits her son and her parents? Is it frowned upon for a spouse to make visits to her home country?

"Of course, immigration have the right to question any non British citizen who is seeking entrance to the UK; regardless of the type of visa or LTR they hold."

Well yes I suppose they do but I assume that they must have some relevance, otherwise why ask.

Asking, how long will you be staying in the UK, to somebody holding a settlement visa does seem a particularly dumb question. I just wondered how general it was to ask dumb questions.

No one is saying that the holder of a settlement visa cannot spend periods out of the UK; for any reason; of course they can!

Although she could, of course, have renewed her passport at the RTE in London.

Are you now saying that this incident occurred before you and she first tried to submit her FLR application; i.e. over 5 months ago?

If so, why leave it so long to post about it?

If it occurred after you first tried to submit her FLR application, then it would have appeared to the IO, assuming they checked her records, that they had in front of them a person who had applied for FLR and therefore should be in the UK. In which case the IO had reason to suspect they may be dealing with a person holding a fraudulent passport and so the questions seem very relevant!

Of course, I realise that you wont accept any explanation or theory; especially one which suggest that you may have been in error!

Edit:

Having re read the OP, I know realise this incident was a year ago.

So I do have to wonder why you have left it this long to post about it.

Even so, the questions do seem reasonable; even for someone entering with a settlement visa. Not everyone is honest, and such questions can catch the dishonest ones out.

Edited by 7by7

This time it was when did she return to Thailand, what was she doing, how many children did she have what where their ages, how old where my kids, what was my job, where did I work.

Hold that thought as your wife will face similar questions for her eventual passport interview.

Answer; she can't!

No one is saying that the holder of a settlement visa cannot spend periods out of the UK; for any reason; of course they can!

Although she could, of course, have renewed her passport at the RTE in London.

Are you now saying that this incident occurred before you and she first tried to submit her FLR application; i.e. over 5 months ago?

If so, why leave it so long to post about it?

If it occurred after you first tried to submit her FLR application, then it would have appeared to the IO, assuming they checked her records, that they had in front of them a person who had applied for FLR and therefore should be in the UK. In which case the IO had reason to suspect they may be dealing with a person holding a fraudulent passport and so the questions seem very relevant!

Of course, I realise that you wont accept any explanation or theory; especially one which suggest that you may have been in error!

Edit:

Having re read the OP, I know realise this incident was a year ago.

So I do have to wonder why you have left it this long to post about it.

Even so, the questions do seem reasonable; even for someone entering with a settlement visa. Not everyone is honest, and such questions can catch the dishonest ones out.

ok if it is a reasonable question to ask the fair enough. Having been subjected to the third degree myself more than once by UK Immigration I have my doubts.

To clarify this happened last week end. No the FLR application had not gone in. Yes she could have chosen to renew the passport in the UK but was more comfortable doing it in Thailand and to visit her family.

From what I gather renewing a UK passport in Thailand is a complicated process so if combining it with a trip back to the UK that some people would prefer to renew it in the UK.

In the OP you say it was a year ago, now you say it was last week end!

You are now saying that her FLR application has not yet gone in, yet you have previously made many posts about the difficulties you have had in submitting it and said that your solicitor had finally succeeded in making an appointment at a PEO for her to do so.

So, if she did return to the UK last week end, which is after you said that her appointment had been made, I can fully understand why she would have been subject to intense scrutiny by immigration. As said previously, FLR applications have to be made from within the UK. Immigration found themselves with a person seeking entry who, according to their records, should already be in the UK!

Maybe all the difficulties you claim to have had over her FLR application are due to the simple fact that she was not in the UK!

I find it incredible that you have been subject to "the third degree" by UK immigration once, let alone more than that; are you not a British citizen?

But then, to be blunt, much of what you post I find so contradictory to be absolutely incredible; but perhaps that's just me.

The difficulties, or otherwise, of renewing a British passport in Thailand against renewing it in the UK are irrelevant to this topic.

• Like 1

In the OP you say it was a year ago, now you say it was last week end!

You are now saying that her FLR application has not yet gone in, yet you have previously made many posts about the difficulties you have had in submitting it and said that your solicitor had finally succeeded in making an appointment at a PEO for her to do so.

So, if she did return to the UK last week end, which is after you said that her appointment had been made, I can fully understand why she would have been subject to intense scrutiny by immigration. As said previously, FLR applications have to be made from within the UK. Immigration found themselves with a person seeking entry who, according to their records, should already be in the UK!

Maybe all the difficulties you claim to have had over her FLR application are due to the simple fact that she was not in the UK!

I find it incredible that you have been subject to "the third degree" by UK immigration once, let alone more than that; are you not a British citizen?

But then, to be blunt, much of what you post I find so contradictory to be absolutely incredible; but perhaps that's just me.

The difficulties, or otherwise, of renewing a British passport in Thailand against renewing it in the UK are irrelevant to this topic.

ok reading it again perhaps not very clear. It did happen a year ago, but then again last week end. So it was the occurance last week end that I was referring to.

Last year she was asked how long she intended to be staying in the UK, a very strange question to be asking somebody on a settlement visa.

Last week end it was all about when she last left the UK, her kids, my kids, my job etc. What I also find off putting is that these questions are being put to a person whose first language is not English and that can barely understand what they are being asked.

So she was out of the UK while you were trying to submit her FLR application.

Q.E.D.

BTW, she must be able to understand some English or she wouldn't have passed the language test to get her initial visa. Surely that must have improved over the 30 months she's been living in the UK and using English every day: at least enough to have asked for an interpreter!

If not; better get her studying PDQ; she's only got 30 months to get up to the much higher standard needed for ILR and the LitUK test!

• Like 1

So she was out of the UK while you were trying to submit her FLR application.

Q.E.D.

BTW, she must be able to understand some English or she wouldn't have passed the language test to get her initial visa. Surely that must have improved over the 30 months she's been living in the UK and using English every day: at least enough to have asked for an interpreter!

If not; better get her studying PDQ; she's only got 30 months to get up to the much higher standard needed for ILR and the LitUK test!

I had net been trying to submit her FLR, we had opted for the Premium service. I have been trying to make the booking when I thought that the visa expiry was in September. Not that I understand the relevance of that.

You know as well as I know that half the problem of people whose first language is not English is that they are accustomed to a particular accent or way a question is put. The English test is still pretty basic. Is a passenger going to have the bottle to challenge Immigration to asking for a translator?

On the subject of not understanding, clearly I am a fluent English speaker but I can guarantee if I get somebody call me, or I call a call centre, and the other person in in India or the Philippines then I am constantly asking them to repeat what they say because they are speaking badly pronounced English at 500 mph. So expecting a non English speaker to follow the questions put to them is a little unreasonable. But I will try that the next time I get an Indian call centre as to whether I can have a translator.

• Like 2

I reckon ukba and the Home Office have it in for you and your wife Trevor.

You're being clearly targeted by them.

I won't be surprised if they make the lituk test even harder when your wife logs into the system, that's if they let you book it in the first place.

Bang out of order this treatment. Should maybe write to the nationals and see if they'll print your story. It needs to be aired.

• Like 1

Trevor1809,

The more you post the more you contradict yourself and the more it appears that any problems you may have had are of your own making.

What your experiences with foreign call centres have to do with UKVI, UK Border Force or any UK immigration matter only you know.

• Like 1