Commuter van crash kills four, injures 10 on elevated Bangkok expressway

webfact

What an awful photo to print.

That looks like blood all down the side of the van.

Surely a more respectful picture, if one really is needed, could have been published.

Actually, I think it's a great picture. The more graphic the photos are, the more it might begin to register into the minds of people that ignorant driving is wrong, and that they should be more careful.

what is awful there ? usually the Thai newspapers will rather print the pictures with the smashed bodies exposed in full. Thais LOVE to see that.

During a funeral I had to attend recently, the picture of a woman who was killed in a motorbike accident was passed around. It showed her smashed body in details. Most of the Thais attending the funeral were absolutely eager to see that and made comments about her smashed body.

any questions ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite thing during visa trips is when the driver stops the car 10 minutes or so after a gas station toilet break and goes off into the woods and returns 5 minutes later extremely energized and fidgeting and touching his face etc.

This picture should be presented to the Thai PM who is more worried about closing bars than road safety.

This is why I took the train fron BK to Hua HIn yesterday as I will never ride in one of these Kamakazi vans again.

I have been in 2 that had accidents, only minor but caused by speeding and ducking and diving.

I have had to speak to a couple of drivers to slow them down, I have heard many other falaangs have talked to mad drivers and won't ever ride in them again.

So when will this maddnes on the roads stop mr PM.

Surely a more respectful picture, if one really is needed, could have been published.

Actually, I think it's a great picture. The more graphic the photos are, the more it might begin to register into the minds of people that ignorant driving is wrong, and that they should be more careful.

Hahaha

I just saw what seemed a bus that run over a pedestrian on ramkhamheang road. There has a bunch of people lined up to take a photo from the best angle.

I am losing some respect for this place.

Thais are shocking rubber necks.

I've seen 30 or more cars stopped, parked and people getting out to have a look at a bus that had run off the roadbah.gif

what is awful there ? usually the Thai newspapers will rather print the pictures with the smashed bodies exposed in full. Thais LOVE to see that.

During a funeral I had to attend recently, the picture of a woman who was killed in a motorbike accident was passed around. It showed her smashed body in details. Most of the Thais attending the funeral were absolutely eager to see that and made comments about her smashed body.

any questions ?

No questions; it's just one of the cultural differences you have to get used to. I don't condone it, or want to see such photos myself, but hiding the graphic nature of death isn't helpful either.

I am right in thinking that a few years back a that a law / directive was introduce to speed limit all commuter vans to 90km or was that day dreaming or wishful thinking?

You are right, problem none of the mini van drivers found would pay the fine imposed, so the plan was dropped as they had no people or set up to enforce the fine collection. All true I remmember it well.

We were in a van going to the airport from Rayong. This manic driver was all over road ..from lane to lane. Even passing from left lane and tailgating with in inches. My 3 and half year old son threw up 3 times. I spoke up out loud a few times. The Mrs didn't like it. Never fazed the driver one bit. Things won't change here until we have cars that drive by them self.

I hate them. A recent mini bus trip to Pattya the driver was on the phone most of the way down. I was sitting in the front seat on the way down and made it obvious I was videoing the driver with my phone. He got the message and stopped.

The driver on the way back was tailgating everything that got in his way at over 90kph.

Hafl of these mini van drivers are out of control. It is absolutely disgusting. Thaivisa could do well to open a petition function for us to get some numbers up to petition government to take some real action on this.

You should see the photos that were leaked, some of the victims basically looked as if they'd gone through a meat grinder. Absolutely awful to see.

The only way to shame these drivers is Thai social media, the outcry is almost always enough to get the cops to do something. It has to come from Thais, foreigners simply aren't taken seriously by anybody with a uniform here.

I personally use these death traps as little as possible, but certain parts of Thailand are seldom travelled to by any other means of transport sadly

4 dead, 10 injured in minivan crash on Bangna highway

By Coconuts Bangkok

656374-01.jpg

Photo: @aodbu

BANGKOK: -- A minivan travelling from Bangkok to Si Racha, Chonburi, crashed into a barrier on Bangna expressway last night, killing four and injuring ten passengers.

The driver, Lekpetch Prasert, 46, told police he picked up 14 passengers from a minivan terminal at Victory Monument and he lost control on a curve before the right side of the minivan hit the barrier, dragging the vehicle about 50 meters farther down the road.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/03/4-dead-10-injured-minivan-crash-bangna-highway

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-03

I was driving back from the airport the other day, after picking someone up and there were at least four occasions with minivans driving flat out, in and out of the traffic, changing lanes like maniacs, cutting up other drivers and not a policeman or patrol car in sight. This also happened with a large tour bus/coach acting as if the motorway was their own private racetrack. It seems there is no one upholding and enforcing the law on the roads. Until there is enforcement of the rule of law accidents like this will continue to occur.

Edited by LuckyNo4

I hate them. A recent mini bus trip to Pattya the driver was on the phone most of the way down. I was sitting in the front seat on the way down and made it obvious I was videoing the driver with my phone. He got the message and stopped.

The driver on the way back was tailgating everything that got in his way at over 90kph.

Hafl of these mini van drivers are out of control. It is absolutely disgusting. Thaivisa could do well to open a petition function for us to get some numbers up to petition government to take some real action on this.

You should see the photos that were leaked, some of the victims basically looked as if they'd gone through a meat grinder. Absolutely awful to see.

The only way to shame these drivers is Thai social media, the outcry is almost always enough to get the cops to do something. It has to come from Thais, foreigners simply aren't taken seriously by anybody with a uniform here.

I personally use these death traps as little as possible, but certain parts of Thailand are seldom travelled to by any other means of transport sadly

This was the situation I was in, visiting a friend in Pattya for one night. Without a car in Bangkok to drive down.

I have read about them frequently enough on ThiaVisa to be very wary, however as you say, there are place where alternative transport is either unavailable or inconvenient, except for larger buses, some of which can be as dangerous, if not being operated by the major companies with good reputations.

I have warned friends coming to Thailand not to use them when possible.