Many Thai sex workers say they are happy in their jobs

webfact

You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a hooker. It's an entry level job, the likes of which are usually filled by students, the lazy, the stupid and the unfortunate. Pays better than flipping burgers if you're good at it, since it's paid by provision. Trying to solve nth degree differential equations in your head while the john is plowing away wouldn't bring in any extra $$. In fact bimbos are quite preferred as mattresses, also in the West.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First World people apply their values to developing nation's challenges.

argument #1: they hate their jobs

Lots of people hate their jobs. shall we despise global corporations for enslaving people? Maybe.

argument #2: sex trade workers are mentally retarded.

By what measure? WJ-III? Literacy rate? UNESCO puts Thai literacy rate at 96%

argument #3: Only old, disgusting farang participate in this trade and therefore should be shamed.

So many things interesting about this claim. Thai men are probably the most brutal and auspicious, and it is totally fair that you shame them, maybe shame them first. Yet many men participate, not all old, and only disgusting according to YOUR values which YOU thrust upon them, which might, coincidentally be a good time for reflection on your part as to why you feel a compelling need to make everyone live according to your standards. Technically, prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Maybe your wrath is misplaced and you should engage the Thai government.Realistically, anybody with US$50 can participate; many do and not all are old.

argument #4: prostitution is a downward cycle of drugs and helplessness

Entirely possible, but also not entirely guaranteed> If you have lived in Thailand long enough you would know that Thai people are really good at compartmentalizing things

argument #5: human trafficking is a crime against humanity

Absolutely. I would encourage you to protest against the genocide being perpetrating against the Rohingya of Myanmmar

e

Thai people as a whole are easily amused and generally happy if they get their som tam.

You sound like you regard them as more like animals than human beings.

Per usual, you're reading too much into a comment.

Just pointing out how your comments come across. If that's not an accurate reflection of your opinion, you should choose your words more carefully.

Thai people as a whole are easily amused and generally happy if they get their som tam.

You sound like you regard them as more like animals than human beings.
Per usual, you're reading too much into a comment.

Just pointing out how your comments come across. If that's not an accurate reflection of your opinion, you should choose your words more carefully.

Maybe you're interpretation of my comments is reflective of a stereotype you carry around about TV members.

Anyway, yeah, I think Thai people generally have a more playful attitude and seem like they don't like to discuss serious matters. Not with foreigners anyway... But they are what they are. And in some ways I admire those things about Thais. Now, implying they're mentally challenged bc they find happiness in simpler things? That's a bit much, mate. I'm not even sure what data the guy is using to support that idea. I mean, I get that many of these girls in the sex industry are not educated very well and may be dense to start with. But it's entirely possible and very likely they turn off whatever sophistication and intellect they have to prepare themselves for a night of partying and intercourse with guys old enough to be their grandfathers.

Anyway, yeah, I think Thai people generally have a more playful attitude and seem like they don't like to discuss serious matters. Not with foreigners anyway... But they are what they are. And in some ways I admire those things about Thais. Now, implying they're mentally challenged bc they find happiness in simpler things? That's a bit much, mate. I'm not even sure what data the guy is using to support that idea. I mean, I get that many of these girls in the sex industry are not educated very well and may be dense to start with. But it's entirely possible and very likely they turn off whatever sophistication and intellect they have to prepare themselves for a night of partying and intercourse with guys old enough to be their grandfathers.

I agree, implying that they're mentally challenged was perhaps a little extreme. Immature and ill-educated is likely nearer the mark.

But it's entirely possible and very likely they turn off whatever sophistication and intellect they have to prepare themselves for a night of partying and intercourse with guys old enough to be their grandfathers.

Isn't it the point of a night of partying to turn off your brains and let go, grannies or not? Most even use alcohol as an accelerant, numbs the frontal lobe. Fornicating is best done at the base animal level.

But it's entirely possible and very likely they turn off whatever sophistication and intellect they have to prepare themselves for a night of partying and intercourse with guys old enough to be their grandfathers.

Isn't it the point of a night of partying to turn off your brains and let go, grannies or not? Most even use alcohol as an accelerant, numbs the frontal lobe. Fornicating is best done at the base animal level.

I imagine most of the young ones don't see it as fornication at all. Just moving parts. And I've found it's not that animalistic either. Many of em ask you to stop at the ten minute mark b/c it hurts too much.

What a load of Horlicks, Most Thai women Go into prostitution becasue there are no jobs for them, Many are poor and many have been abandoned by their Thai partners usualy with children. Thai women cannot get jobs until they are 18, then they are told they are to old at 30. If you know nothing else you would say, "yes I like my job"

"Thai women cannot get jobs until they are 18"

Um. No. Have you been to any restaurant in the country?

Minimum age is 15. But even that is bendable.

Where did you get your numbers on HIV rates at Patong? Doesn't surprise me, btw. I've read research that indicates 90% of the Thai women that have HIV do not tell their partners, or bosses, customers, etc. if they're sex workers. It also said most of those women do not use protection with their partners.

UN Aids GAP Report (2014), WHO annual assessment publications 2012-2014. Multiple academic reports and from discussions with public health researchers. I'll go one step further and state that I saw it first hand in Patong. What surprised me was how many had died within a 5 year period. (Inadequate.)

If one looks at the younger segment of sex trade workers and their demographic characteristics of lower intelligence and limited education it explains in large part why some are considered "happy". In plain language, many of the sex workers are mentally impaired and exist in a different mental reality than the rest of the population. Happiness to them is delaying the pain of yaba withdrawal, or in having somewhere to stay or a replacement family or in having someone care for them.

It is quite something to read the justifications in this thread from the males who have sexual relations with defacto mentally retarded people. True, not all sex workers are mentally deficient, but It is quite obvious that many are, and yet there are clients who seek them out, exploiting their vulnerabilities. People with above average IQs or job skills or an education are not typically going to seek out sex trade work. It is a job sector that attracts people with impaired cognitive skills, drug addictions, psychological issues and mental illness and debt. Happiness for these people is different for them compared to the young woman who is working as a bank teller or the male who is working at Tesco.

It's also shown statistically (world wide) that many sex workers were abused sexually at a young age by family or relatives. You sometimes do what you know.

I imagine most of the young ones don't see it as fornication at all. Just moving parts. And I've found it's not that animalistic either. Many of em ask you to stop at the ten minute mark b/c it hurts too much.

donkey

It is not surprising that many prefer this than working in a shop or factory on slave labour salaries of less than THB 10,000 per month. At least the girls have flexi-time and can pick and choose who they go with. It is not bad at all. I wish I had a job which paid me to party and decide which girls I fancied going with.

I wish I had a job which paid me to party and decide which girls I fancied going with.

Or alternatively, 'a job where I have to drink away my feelings and get to decide which of the older women repulses me least'.

After a few drinks they all start to look good to me, even the guys wearing dresses.

(That's another reason I rarely get drunk)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Where did you get your numbers on HIV rates at Patong? Doesn't surprise me, btw. I've read research that indicates 90% of the Thai women that have HIV do not tell their partners, or bosses, customers, etc. if they're sex workers. It also said most of those women do not use protection with their partners.

UN Aids GAP Report (2014), WHO annual assessment publications 2012-2014. Multiple academic reports and from discussions with public health researchers. I'll go one step further and state that I saw it first hand in Patong. What surprised me was how many had died within a 5 year period. (Inadequate.)

If one looks at the younger segment of sex trade workers and their demographic characteristics of lower intelligence and limited education it explains in large part why some are considered "happy". In plain language, many of the sex workers are mentally impaired and exist in a different mental reality than the rest of the population. Happiness to them is delaying the pain of yaba withdrawal, or in having somewhere to stay or a replacement family or in having someone care for them.

It is quite something to read the justifications in this thread from the males who have sexual relations with defacto mentally retarded people. True, not all sex workers are mentally deficient, but It is quite obvious that many are, and yet there are clients who seek them out, exploiting their vulnerabilities. People with above average IQs or job skills or an education are not typically going to seek out sex trade work. It is a job sector that attracts people with impaired cognitive skills, drug addictions, psychological issues and mental illness and debt. Happiness for these people is different for them compared to the young woman who is working as a bank teller or the male who is working at Tesco.

It's also shown statistically (world wide) that many sex workers were abused sexually at a young age by family or relatives. You sometimes do what you know.

Yeah, that's definitely one of the sick aspects of it, and something I think about when I see young women with a much older man. They say sex is a formative experience for women and they tend to go back to guys that resemble their first partner.

donkey

Not that big, no. But bigger than their Thai bf for sure.

I must remember to turn my BS from analog to logarithmic before reading your posts, that one nearly burnt it out.

I used to run an informal, and free, English language class for bar girls, accompanied by my g/f. They were eager to learn and showed excellent improvement in conversational English, an earning booster for those catering to farangs. The suggestion that many were "mentally impaired" is both insulting and ridiculous.

How would you react if someone claimed the same about PTP voters? Most I encounter on Samui come from the same demographic.

Edited by halloween

Is that what they tell you? You must really be a hansum man.

Then

How do you explain, most of them learnt English, and you didn't learn Thai?

(Not to mention the girls that learnt Swedish, French, Mandarin and German)

PS

You need to pay guarantee money (100kbht and up) to work as a bank teller.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Walked into that one.

Walked into that one.

EEAWWWWWW

Also how about the sex workers that get married and got houses and cars in their names

They are more than happy

Yep i know many blokes in issan and the north and central Thailand married to x bar girls. Ive been surprised at how many there are. They change and become good wives and mothers. Not all but a lot. Many girls go to the bar with the dream of becoming like so many other bargirls who marry farang. Whats the option? Factory worker for 300 bart a day,or field work for 200 bart a day?

Why cant customers just see its a job for the girls!

Those hour long boom boom sessions where its all thrusting n the girl enjoying it is BIGTIME folklore by idiots..................hahahaha.

Edited by Nomyai

I think most people defend and justify prostitution in Thailand because Thai prostitutes give much better personal service than their Western counterparts. It's more personal and it often feels like a relationship.

I assume a Western prostitute would not even kiss her client.

I admit that I am curious about bargirl scene and if I wasn't in a relationship I would certainly explore it.

But.... I still highly doubt the original happiness report.

Why dont they wake up, realise what they are doing as suggested on this forum try a dating website instead? Surely its better to meet someone and get to know them, enjoy company and maybe have some fun that leads to sex then to pay some poor girl to demean herself?

And websites cater for all ages,,,

so what youre saying then is i shouldnt bang my 30 yr old regular who has 3 girls at school and who is desparate for my contributions to their school fees. instead i should apologise for demeaning her and go bang some tart off a dating site for free instead..........meanwhile she feeds her kids with WHAT?

I am sorry, I didn't realise that the reason you are banging a hooker was part of a social justice program to fund her kids through school and feed them, please be clearer next time.

Of course if you were serious about wearing the "cape" of social justice you could just donate the money to send her kids to school and feed them and skip the bit where you take advantage of her situation just to release your sexual tension.

Unless of course she tells you that she loves you giggle.gif

Goodness me, I am sure the poor young girl things the same about your "base animal level" as she is "enduring" your old wrinkly carcass panting all over her whilst she is covered in drool.

Without the need for cash none of these girls would put themselves through a single night with 95% of the old geezers on here.

I find it all repulsive. I doubt anyone of you has the fortitude to google the human trafficking nightmare in this part of the world and the training ground Thailand has become for shipping prostitutes all of the world. Just carry on regardless telling yourself you are part of a social justice plan contributing to a way of life these women would not have without you,, very sad.

As I have said before, I hope there is a custodial sentence for the "punters" sometime soon.

Without the need for cash none of these girls would put themselves through a single night with 95% of the old geezers on here.

My previous one just wanted sex and money,I lived with her a year.

Sex 5 times a day, and money if she could get it as well.

As an 'old geezer' I can truthfully state I didn't want it more than once a day, the rest was all her.

And the extra times she made me do it, didn't get her any extra money either.

Then

How do you explain, most of them learnt English, and you didn't learn Thai?

(Not to mention the girls that learnt Swedish, French, Mandarin and German)

PS

You need to pay guarantee money (100kbht and up) to work as a bank teller.

Speaking a language is little or no measure of intelligence. Children all over the world learn them every day.