Current financial requirements for "following" spouse under 50?

Ok, after our fiasco in KL (a bad choice to try to get non-immigrant visas), we are back in the country with tourist visas. Thanks to an oversight on my part and changing regulations, we are back to square one for the retirement visa process. We have been down this road before but apparently the rules have changed. I am hearing different stories from different people, as well as different stories from different immigration offices.

I have my side figured out...pretty much the same as it was two years ago with my first application. Pension plus savings must equal 65,000 baht per month or 800,000 baht per year. No problem. I got that figured out.

The problem child is my wife and what her financial requirements are to obtain her non-immigrant and eventually piggy back on my "retirement visa". She is American and under 50 years old. We have been told she needs 500,000 baht in the bank by some and others have said she needs the same amount as me...the difference between my pension money and the 65,000 baht per month. Does anyone know the actual amount needed?

You certainly went to the wrong place for your visas. Penang or Vientiane are the best choices.

The requirements for your extension is 800k baht in the bank or 65k income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Your wife will get an extension as your dependent based upon your extension. There is no requirement for her to show any financial proof.

See clause 2.20 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay. Clause 2.22 is for retirement.

The problem child is my wife and what her financial requirements are to obtain her non-immigrant and eventually piggy back on my "retirement visa".

If you are legally married and she "piggy backs" on your extension then she usually needs no financial proof at all.

Usual term used here is a "dependent" extension.

Formally she applies after your extension is done.

You both need to obtain "O" visas . Yours on the basis of retirement which will require you to demonstrate either 800,000 in a Thai bank or income of 65k/month. Your wife applies on the basis of being your dependent.She requires no finances.

Best obtain the "O" visas in Penang or Vientiane.

Once you have the "O" visas come back here and someone will walk you through the remainder of the process.

Thanks for the answers. So according to what everybody is saying, we could both go to Vientiane. I could obtain my "O" visa first with my documents and proof of finances in hand. My wife would be able to then obtain her "O" visa at the same time as my dependent with no financial requirements. Is that correct? I remember the last time she obtained her "O" visa after me (two years ago) she did need a certain amount of money in her account. We were told by a local visa agency that the 500,000 baht is a recent change. I don't believe it but I want to make darn sure that I have my t's crossed and my i's dotted before I try this "0" visa run again for the two of us.

Thanks for the answers. So according to what everybody is saying, we could both go to Vientiane. I could obtain my "O" visa first with my documents and proof of finances in hand. My wife would be able to then obtain her "O" visa at the same time as my dependent with no financial requirements. Is that correct? I remember the last time she obtained her "O" visa after me (two years ago) she did need a certain amount of money in her account. We were told by a local visa agency that the 500,000 baht is a recent change. I don't believe it but I want to make darn sure that I have my t's crossed and my i's dotted before I try this "0" visa run again for the two of us.

Here is some very good advice!

"Stay away from Agents". The process is simple and you do not need what will prove to be an expensive adventure

To get your non-o visa in Vientiane you will only need your financial proof. For your wife's just your marriage certificate to prove your relationship.

There has never been a financial requirement for a dependent extension. Their has been no changes to the police order clause for them.

The 500k baht number is for getting an extension as a parent of a child attending school.

Thank-you very much for clearing this up. I thought that was the case.

@oncearugge...We are doing it ourselves. I just popped into a local agency today to try to get an answer to this question since everybody has been telling us something different for the last couple of weeks. Not a lot of help!