Banks living in the stone age

Just because they have a different system, doesnt make them wrong, stupid, incompetent or anything else, it just makes them "different", to what you may be used to, nothing more.

My TGF misplaced her bank book for KTB (her bad). Went to the bank and asked for a replacement. Brought with her an older bank book and her ID and her ATM card. They demanded a police report. Went to get a police report and returned. The bank advised her she would have to travel from Phuket to where she originally opened the account (Saraburi outside Bangkok) to get a replacement. That's like a New York bank branch telling you to go to California to replace a lost atm card. That's not different. That's stupid, wrong and incompetent.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because they have a different system, doesnt make them wrong, stupid, incompetent or anything else, it just makes them "different", to what you may be used to, nothing more.

My TGF misplaced her bank book for KTB (her bad). Went to the bank and asked for a replacement. Brought with her an older bank book and her ID and her ATM card. They demanded a police report. Went to get a police report and returned. The bank advised her she would have to travel from Phuket to where she originally opened the account (Saraburi outside Bangkok) to get a replacement. That's like a New York bank branch telling you to go to California to replace a lost atm card. That's not different. That's stupid, wrong and incompetent.

No it's just different, that's the way the banking system works here and every Thai person at least knows that a police report is needed for loss of a bank book and that books can only be replaced by the account holding branch. It's actually a very safe system and there's nothing wrong or stupid about it, it's just not what you are used to perhaps.

No it's just different, that's the way the banking system works here and every Thai person at least knows that a police report is needed for loss of a bank book and that books can only be replaced by the account holding branch. It's actually a very safe system and there's nothing wrong or stupid about it, it's just not what you are used to perhaps.

"books can only be replaced by the account holding branch"

Not always as it seems.smile.png BUT! blink.png

I opened with help of my then GF (one child with her at that time) 2003 a Bangkok Bank account in Chumphe-Khon Kaen.

Later I changed to live more and more in Udon Thani, but left my Bank account in Chumphe.

I always found some Bangkok Bank branches in Lotus Centers who changed my full printed Bank books to new ones or gave me new ATM cards.

Special in a small Lotus in Nong Han - Udon Thani. I did no Bank book change in Chumphe for more than 6 years +

BUT, last time I got agitated in Udon Thani city's Big C -BB- as again all Bangkok Bangkok Bank ATM's the only I can use with my Chip Card, all Computers, the whole system - no payment at Lotus Cashier - broke down for some time.

My loud voice helped me at least to be served first when some of the system came to live again - only, since then I miss my latest Bank book made in Sawang Den Ding Lotus branch.

Straight to my small branch in Lotus Nong Han and - NO, I have to go Police and have this time to go to Chumphe to get a replacement with the Police report!

Often, they asked me to open a new account in their branch - so ok, now I asked for a new account and what they would need for it.

Wanted to just let die my old account.

To all papers same before necessary to get a new BB Bank account, they need now, NEW LAW!

a Signature of a Government Official who has to come to the BB branch and has to sign there in person and to confirm that I say the truth? =

= That I have now 3 children in Udon Thani, live with them and my GF, since 2004, have therefore NonImmigrant O Visa.

That I am registered to the house - as living there.

Birth certificates,

legal father paper-or kind of it and confirming that I live with my GF and my children,

confirmation of all, from my GF and my sons up to 11 years old - NO!

A Thai Government Official has to come to the Bank and confirm all, sign all.

That, or going to Police and Chumphe! As long as I have a working ATM card I can take my money.

BUT, for me that Government Official part - do this people have time for driving around?

For what cost? TING TONG!

Not sure why you actually went to the bank. Sit home and do it from your BBL Internet Banking webpage - if you don't have, well......

Just click down the transfer menu tab, enter other person"s bank and account number. Enter amount and click send.....

Not everyone can use the BBL internet banking.

I went to the branch where my account was opened, and asked them to set up internet banking, and they said they could not do it, because I once opened a bank account with BBL in 2004 without a work permit. I said that the account that I wanted to activate with internet banking was opened after that, at this branch, and I had my work permit by then. I showed him the WP, and he said "sorry, cannot".

I said "thank you very much, please can I close my account". He said sure. I felt that we were both happy at that outcome. I went and opened an account with K-Bank, who are awesome.

Also - don't talk to me about their stupid credit card. WAY more trouble than it was worth. Cancelling that one took me 2 hours, too.

Work permit? I have accounts at 3 Thai banks, all with internet banking including Bangkok bank and I've never had a work permit. When I opened an account at SCB, initially someone told me I needed a work permit to open an account. But I asked to speak to the manager and she opened the account for me. And I know this is not unusual.

The banks are definitely 20th century here. I have many examples. And they charge you money to move your money from one account with your bank to another of your accounts with the same bank, just because the two bank accounts are held in a different county/state/province of Thailand!!! Thailand service businesses usually provide a facility but not a service for their customers. But they are better than the Philippines. If you have a bank account there and want to transfer money to someone else's account because you have to pay a bill of repay a loan, and you use internet banking because you are not in the country and/or it is more convenient, (you will not believe this!), you can only transfer money if the recipient banks with the same bank as you do. No inter-bank transfers! That trumps Thailand by a long way, for sheer uselessness (usually).

Bangkok bank - not the easiest bank to bank with.

I once went to a branch to open an account, they asked for work permit or letter from Embassy/High Commission. Embassy said they don't issue such letters. Came back to the branch told them this, but they kept saying they needed letter from Embassy.

I approached another bank and they opened the account in half the time I spend speaking to staff at Bangkok bank.

OP - mistake number 1 - logic is not a feature in the 'thainess' scale. Even if the scale extended to another galaxy, I still don't think it will feature in it. Some of the stuff I've come across...honestly..It defies belief. Absolutely shocking...I would spend hours trying to figure out what on earth possessed the thai person to behave in a certain manner...

Reckon if they were good bits worthy enough to be picked-up, these behaviours would suddenly start to make sense to me.

I also have a BKK bank account and once tried to pay my rent to my Landlady. They did not want to take it, but told me to go to the Siam Commercial Bank where the Landlady's account was and pay it in. The fact is banks in Thailand don't want to handle business on behalf of other banks. It APPEARS they don't have a universal clearing system like western countries. So everything is ad-hoc depending where you go at any one time and what rules each individual bank operates under. There is no uniformity.

All you need to do is use the ATM. You can transfer from your bank to another bank with the ATM.

He wants just a basic bank service but well done...who else will make a cash deposit for a second person without his name on the voucher?

This is the first time but this time CharlieZ is not wrong.

You clearly are the problem and think that they are.

Anyway EVEN if it was to pay a rent WHO CARES from whom the money comes from ?

Ridiculous <3

Rare way do see this issue..

Some of you guys seem to think that everything in Thailand should be designed to meet the standards set in other countries and/or provide services and facilities similar to the ones you have known previously. Heads up, being fit for purpose in Thailand means meeting the needs of a mostly rural population of low income and poorly educated people, the banking system does that and with respect to security, it does it in spades.

If someone wanted to put money in my account I suggest they do it on-line or via mobile banking.

I should get an SMS telling me whatever the depositor wishes and the name of the senders account will be available to me.

Seems a bit 'stone-age' doing it over the counter anyhow, but if strangers are putting money in my account perhaps I can live without knowing their names.

I once paid for an air ticket by using a teller at Bangkok Bank to take money from my account and put it into the travel agencies account, I had a receipt that I had done this and used it to get the air ticket. Things are even easier now.

Some of you guys seem to think that everything in Thailand should be designed to meet the standards set in other countries and/or provide services and facilities similar to the ones you have known previously. Heads up, being fit for purpose in Thailand means meeting the needs of a mostly rural population of low income and poorly educated people, the banking system does that and with respect to security, it does it in spades.

Dont' think the OP went in to a Bangkok Branch bank out in the sticks. Even if he did, I doubt the same would not have occurred for a rural low income thai person.

...and with respect to security, it does it in spades.

Probably more needs to be done to check the excesses of the execs.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Dont' think the OP went in to a Bangkok Branch bank out in the sticks. Even if he did, I doubt the same would not have occurred for a rural low income thai person.

...and with respect to security, it does it in spades.

Probably more needs to be done to check the excesses of the execs.

Read again what I wrote, you've not understood what was said.

saai.gif ....Anyway....have a look at the Bangkok bank website that claim they have support for foreign customers:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/default.aspx

That's correct. They claim this. Whether the foreign customer receives this support (especially at the branch) is what is key here. I mean, does the foreign customer receive this feature (foreign customer support) from Bangkok bank?

Edited by meltingpot2015

You provided a link in English language, which part of what is written in that link do you think Bangkok Bank doesn't deliver to foreigners? And the choice of words is yours, you use the word support twice in your post, I don't see that Bangkok Bank actually claims to offer support in an all round or general sense

As I said this had nothing to do with me so I guess "every Thai is not used to it" as you claim. If you support this type of nonsense, you have revealed yourself as stupid as well.

As I said this had nothing to do with me so I guess "every Thai is not used to it" as you claim. If you support this type of nonsense, you have revealed yourself as stupid as well.

Creating imaginary quotes out of thin air is one way to debate a topic I suppose, "every Thai is not used to it", a mature person might respond differently or if not able to do so, simply evaporate!!

Mr. Mudcrab, describe your post as rather harsh! I need not address your post nor say anything negative about you or your friend!

I'm here to notify others of improprieties and to beware. The police today gave me the name of the Thai who has been receiving monies from my account. The person is located in BKK and I'm in Chiang Mai.

I want to keep this topic alive, since it's a serious problem for all of us. We must stand together and not criticize each other. Yes, I'm a PhD and hopefully have common sense and a sense to assist others. Considering that I do lecture students from all over the world.

Conclusion is the BKK Bank has not replaced monies to my account and rely heavily on the police. FYI!

The truth is there are numerous, inconvenient but usually manageable, gaps in service capability, which simply vary from bank to bank. But most thai banks suffer from the syndrome to greater or lesser degree. A single knowledgeable, competent and fluent foreign consultant on staff would go a long long way, but perish the thought of a foreigner on the payroll. Thainess & all that. Short of that, there's usually a workaround. Banging your head against the teak door will get you nowhere.

Why the hell should Thai banks in Thailand pay a skilled linguist to be around every branch, just in case some farang can't use an ATM. From your post, I assume you mean English speaking consultant. I worked in an English bank for a few years many years ago, and foreigners always came in with an interpreter as a matter of course.

In this case the "can not" seems to be the result of not giving her the information before she did something. Not related to banks, but if I am always 100% clear and provide all information, they normally do what is required.

However, once I needed a more difficult task done at Kasikorn, the lady said "can not" - I called a lawyer and handed her the phone, after the call ended, it was only "can do".

Also I can never see who transferred, there is never a sender displayed. I think this is why they mostly use sms confirmation.

I truly believe the employees are not properly trained. Example: I was charged 3100 baht plus 11.83 for a transfer fee! I've been doing this for years and never had been charged this amount. Naturally the branch couldn't answer the problem, answer, call the call center!

Ok, called them and she indicated a new rule or law was being implemented October 1st. Must maintain a $100.00 minimum balance in my foreign deposit account. I was never informed of this change but okay. I later went to the main branch and it was stated, must maintain a $250.00 minimum balance.

I don't mean to be critical of the bank but the employees must be better trained to deal with the foreigners! I have lost money for the past 3 months, unusual fees, hacked, and skimmed once for 10,000 baht. Three police reports and a mountain of paperwork and many hours at several banks! Conclusion: no money as been entered into my account! I still concur that Thailand is not the place for ex pats to retire and live relatively a comfortable life.

This topic is dealing with the banks. Many other problems a foreigner must deal with on a regular basics. I do apologize for my negativity. I have lost a considerable amount of money from the banks through corruption or negligence of the employees.

Mr. Mudcrab, describe your post as rather harsh! I need not address your post nor say anything negative about you or your friend!

I'm here to notify others of improprieties and to beware. The police today gave me the name of the Thai who has been receiving monies from my account. The person is located in BKK and I'm in Chiang Mai.

I want to keep this topic alive, since it's a serious problem for all of us. We must stand together and not criticize each other. Yes, I'm a PhD and hopefully have common sense and a sense to assist others. Considering that I do lecture students from all over the world.

Conclusion is the BKK Bank has not replaced monies to my account and rely heavily on the police. FYI!

I truly believe the employees are not properly trained. Example: I was charged 3100 baht plus 11.83 for a transfer fee! I've been doing this for years and never had been charged this amount. Naturally the branch couldn't answer the problem, answer, call the call center!

Ok, called them and she indicated a new rule or law was being implemented October 1st. Must maintain a $100.00 minimum balance in my foreign deposit account. I was never informed of this change but okay. I later went to the main branch and it was stated, must maintain a $250.00 minimum balance.

I don't mean to be critical of the bank but the employees must be better trained to deal with the foreigners! I have lost money for the past 3 months, unusual fees, hacked, and skimmed once for 10,000 baht. Three police reports and a mountain of paperwork and many hours at several banks! Conclusion: no money as been entered into my account! I still concur that Thailand is not the place for ex pats to retire and live relatively a comfortable life.

This topic is dealing with the banks. Many other problems a foreigner must deal with on a regular basics. I do apologize for my negativity. I have lost a considerable amount of money from the banks through corruption or negligence of the employees.

I suggest you start a new thread if you want specific responses to your issues.

However -

We must stand together and not criticize each other

You have 2 hopes, Bob Hope and ....................

I don't mean to be critical of the bank but the employees must be better trained to deal with the foreigners!

It is because of comments like this that people criticise. Being polite I could say that of course there are "theoretical" reasons why they should but at the end of the day I would guess foreigners account for such a small percentage of their overall transactions that they have decided to spend their money elsewhere.

In other words get real. facepalm.gif