Immigrant O visa

Hello eveybody, all this talk about no more double entry tourist visas, and the new METV, which might be the case of only being allowed to apply for it back home in our/your own country.

Okay, I know an Australian man, he's not over 50 years old, and he applied for an Immigrant O visa in Australia. He actually showed me the visa in his passport. I asked him, what did you write down for the reason for turning up in Thailand. He simply said "seeing friends in Thailand". This man has not got a Thai wife, has no Thai kids, nothing. Can you really put down "seeing friends" as your reason for going to Thailand ? Does anyone know of other people who have done this ? Also, does anyone know exactly which immigrant O visa it is ? Are there more than just one ? Thanks.

He is about 30 years old, not sure if it was O or OA. It was issued in Ausatralia, that's all I know. Sorry, it was not done recently, it was about two years ago, sorry, I suppose that's all been stopped now. It's just that, at the time, I was very surprised.

Sorry I didn't read the OP properly. If he's under 50 then it's not an 'O-A'

He is about 30 years old, not sure if it was O or OA. It was issued in Ausatralia, that's all I know. Sorry, it was not done recently, it was about two years ago, sorry, I suppose that's all been stopped now. It's just that, at the time, I was very surprised.

It was definitely possible in the past, but I doubt you could do that anywhere these days.

There is a Non-Immi "O" category - "Other" .

This is apart from the O specified categories.

Perth used to (but no longer) issue a Multiple entry One year visa for many reasons - visiting your GF (any TG ID copy would suffice), looking at retirement prospects etc.

Lovely people they were and I used this for a few years before retirement extensions.

Vastly different with new Consul, location and staff now.

I also wonder how recent this anecdote is and from where?

• Like 1

Yes until not so long ago these were available from several consulates, including some in UK. All stopped around 2012 or 2013.

• Like 1

There is a Non-Immi "O" category - "Other" .

This is apart from the O specified categories.

Perth used to (but no longer) issue a Multiple entry One year visa for many reasons - visiting your GF (any TG ID copy would suffice), looking at retirement prospects etc.

Lovely people they were and I used this for a few years before retirement extensions.

Vastly different with new Consul, location and staff now.

I also wonder how recent this anecdote is and from where?

Sorry, it was about two years ago when I saw the visa in his passport.

Non Imm O Visas are now only usually issued for;

Married to a Thai National.

Visiting a Thai Child

Visiting Thailand as a Pensioner 65 or over.

There can be exceptions, at the discretion of the Embassy/Consulate.

If your over 50, but under 65 and your intention is to retire in Thailand they can sometimes issue a single Non Imm O for the purpose of obtaining an extension from within Thailand.

Visiting a Thai Child

If your over 50, but under 65 and your intention is to retire in Thailand they can sometimes issue a single Non Imm O for the purpose of obtaining an extension from within Thailand.

Only the embassy and consulates in the UK have the 65 year old age limit to get non-o visas.

Most nearby locations will do a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over with financial proof.

Visiting a Thai Child

Only the embassy and consulates in the UK have the 65 year old age limit to get non-o visas.

Most nearby locations will do a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over with financial proof.

Canada doesnt seem to offer it at any age

Visiting a Thai Child

The UK will also issue a single entry Non O Visa, over 50 with financial proof in certain situations.

The 65 year old age limit and being in receipt of a state pension will guarantee you a Non O Visa.

The honorary Thai consulate in Portland, Oregon, has -- at least historically -- offered Non Imm O visas, including multiple entry varieties, for retirement eligible applicants (show you're over 50 and have the required financial proof) Again, this was several years ago, so not sure about today......

Also, their website is a little confusing about whether or not our Canadian cousins can apply from Canada:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

We accept cash or money order for payment of the visa fee - please do not send personal checks.

Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars.

So, you must cross the border (to be "physically in the US") to mail in your Canadian passport?

Somewhat dubious. But Mary Wheeler in Portland is very accessible, per reports here, so if I were a retirement eligible Canadian, I'd touch base with her on what's what. Nothing to lose.

A Canadian consulate gave me a Non O for visiting my GF 3 1/2 years ago. The consular officials were actively promoting these visas to travelers at the time. You would walk into the the consular office with the intention of obtaining a tourist visa and the official would immediately ask you if you have a GF in Thailand. If you didn't have a GF they would immediately offer a Non B visa. This is a good thread to remind us just how far the pendulum has swung the other way with respect to visas.

• Like 1

The honorary Thai consulate in Portland, Oregon, has -- at least historically -- offered Non Imm O visas, including multiple entry varieties, for retirement eligible applicants (show you're over 50 and have the required financial proof) Again, this was several years ago, so not sure about today......

Also, their website is a little confusing about whether or not our Canadian cousins can apply from Canada:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

We accept cash or money order for payment of the visa fee - please do not send personal checks.

Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars.

So, you must cross the border (to be "physically in the US") to mail in your Canadian passport?

Somewhat dubious. But Mary Wheeler in Portland is very accessible, per reports here, so if I were a retirement eligible Canadian, I'd touch base with her on what's what. Nothing to lose.

portland website:

1. O (Other) - Marriage certificate and proof of spouse's Thai citizenship, Letter of invitation from volunteer organization in Thailand, proof of condo or home ownership.

I am had a non o for 8 years in a row from Brisbane office but it shut down. I think the Tasmanian office does them but so far in typical thai style they refuse to reply to my emails

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Up until recently it was quite common for Consulates and Embassies -- especially Royal Thai Honorary Consul Generals to issue a Multi Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa for the purpose of regional touring, visiting friends Thai or Farang, visiting old military sites or NGO sites where one once served (a reason I was issued one). This sort of visa was GREAT. One only had to leave Thailand at least every 90 days and with correct timing one could get 15 months total (as I did). Plus they could / can be converted to an Extension of Stay Based on Retirement (over age 50 - as I did).

I would hate to see this Category of Multi-Entry Non Imm 'O' visa go by the wayside ... It was a great way to ease into retirement under an Extension of Stay - without being in a 90 day time crunch. The criteria as stated on the Thai Embassy Websites made it quite easy to interpret this Visa Category for general regional touring and seeing old service sites and friends.. Perfectly legitimate reasons in my eyes.

The reasons for non-o visa (vising friends, family, retirement, etc) are still on the books. But the individual consulates often make their own determination on what visas they will issue regularly.

So it's not that they CANT issue them; some embassies are more stubborn than others. Sometimes (with neighboring embassies), it is to cut down on fraud for certain categories. They are limiting long-stay visas to specific categories.

The reasons for non-o visa (vising friends, family, retirement, etc) are still on the books. But the individual consulates often make their own determination on what visas they will issue regularly.

So it's not that they CANT issue them; some embassies are more stubborn than others. Sometimes (with neighboring embassies), it is to cut down on fraud for certain categories. They are limiting long-stay visas to specific categories.

what books?

Visiting a Thai Child

I assume Vientiane Consulate is the easiest to obtain a single entry Non-O

for the over 50's.

What financial proof is required?

Should it be in a Thai bank a/c or overseas bank?

How much?

Visiting a Thai Child

I assume Vientiane Consulate is the easiest to obtain a single entry Non-O

for the over 50's.

What financial proof is required?

Should it be in a Thai bank a/c or overseas bank?

How much?

For a single entry non"O" visa based on being over 50 you would need to show.................

1. 800,000 Bht in a Thai Bank

OR

2. A monthly income of 65,000 Bht certified by your Embassy

OR

3. A combination of 1+2 Totaling 800,000 Bht.

what books?

It used to be on a page that looked similar to this:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You may still see it on some consulates' website that have not be updated recently. Or check archives.org . But 'vising friends' was just as valid of an "Others" reason as 'visiting family'; all you needed was a letter from the friend and a copy of their ID card. But few consulates now do it (or advertise doing it openly anyway). Everywhere is tightening up on their borders; Thailand is no different.

Some of the consular websites that now specifically say that they do NOT issue non-imm for visiting friends/fiancee/etc do this to clarify that their consulate does not issue for that reason.

edit: here is an old post that helps to confirm that people used to in fact apply for non-o based on visiting friends and got them: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/429299-non-imm-o-family-andor-visiting-friends/

Not sure if copies of older regulations/police orders can be found that state the same.

Edited by 4evermaat

Visiting a Thai Child

Faz

Can you expand on that "at discretion" comment at all please.

You also said "The UK will also issue a single entry Non O Visa, over 50 with financial proof in certain situations."

What might those certain situations be? AFAIK the only way to get an "O" from London is by using one of the 4 reasons detailed above.

I do realise that "OA" is available with different conditions but you specifically mentioned "O"

Have i missed something vital? If you don't want to go public, would you PM me please.

Thanks....VBF

Edited by VBF

Visiting a Thai Child

Faz

You also said "The UK will also issue a single entry Non O Visa, over 50 with financial proof in certain situations."

What might those certain situations be? AFAIK the only way to get an "O" from London is by using one of the 4 reasons detailed above.

I do realise that "OA" is available with different conditions but you specifically mentioned "O"

Have i missed something vital? If you don't want to go public, would you PM me please.

Thanks....VBF

Sure, nothing sinister or underhand.

I made the decision to retire early at 60 and move to Thailand.

I already knew the Immigration requirements to be met in Thailand for an extension based on retirement, specifically B800,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to application for the extension, and that you must be on an '0' type Visa to get an extension.

According to the information based on the Thai Embassy website in the UK though, I could only apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa because I didn't meet the criteria for a Non Imm O Visa. I really only needed a single entry Non Imm O which would allow me the time to transfer funds for the extension.

Police records and Medical checks seemed time consuming and expensive for what I wanted.

So, I contacted the Embassy in London and explained my situation and intentions and they advised me to contact my local Consulate in Liverpool.

Liverpool said they could offer me a single entry Non Imm O Visa under the circumstances, provided I could show a bank statement with sufficient funds to cover the period of the Visa (approx. £4,200). I made an appointment and it took 15 minutes to issue the Visa.

So regardless of the guidance given on their websites, they can, dependant on the circumstances, issue a Visa type at their discretion even though you don't match the criteria.

Edited by Faz

Visiting a Thai Child

Faz

Thanks....VBF

I already knew the Immigration requirements to be met in Thailand for an extension based on retirement, specifically B800,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to application for the extension, and that you must be on an '0' type Visa to get an extension.

According to the information based on the Thai Embassy website in the UK though, I could only apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa because I didn't meet the criteria for a Non Imm O Visa. I really only needed a single entry Non Imm O which would allow me the time to transfer funds for the extension.

Police records and Medical checks seemed time consuming and expensive for what I wanted.

So, I contacted the Embassy in London and explained my situation and intentions and they advised me to contact my local Consulate in Liverpool.

Liverpool said they could offer me a single entry Non Imm O Visa under the circumstances, provided I could show a bank statement with sufficient funds to cover the period of the Visa (approx. £4,200). I made an appointment and it took 15 minutes to issue the Visa.

So regardless of the guidance given on their websites, they can, dependant on the circumstances, issue a Visa type at their discretion even though you don't match the criteria.

Thanks Faz for the very comprehensive, and surprising explanation.

Given how often these things change (ie there was a time when "O" visas were easier to get than they are now), 2 more questions if I may:

How long ago did this take place?

Did you have to attend the Consulate in person or would they have issued the visa by post? I only ask that due to my location being nearer the Embassy than any Consulate.

Thanks again

Edited by VBF

Visiting a Thai Child

Faz

Thanks....VBF

Thanks Faz for the very comprehensive, and surprising explanation.

Given how often these things change (ie there was a time when "O" visas were easier to get than they are now), 2 more questions if I may:

How long ago did this take place?

Did you have to attend the Consulate in person or would they have issued the visa by post? I only ask that due to my location being nearer the Embassy than any Consulate.

Thanks again

Two years ago and yes I had to attend in person at the Consulate.

An acquaintance did the same at Birmingham Consulate this year though.

You do have to speak to them first and explain your reasons. I found them very helpful and obliging where possible.

They can issue a single Non Imm O for the purpose of acquiring an extension based on retirement in Thailand, at their discretion.

I'd just cashed in a private pension policy, but they weren't interested in seeing that proof, just sufficient funds to cover 3 months.

Two years ago and yes I had to attend in person at the Consulate.

An acquaintance did the same at Birmingham Consulate this year though.

You do have to speak to them first and explain your reasons. I found them very helpful and obliging where possible.

They can issue a single Non Imm O for the purpose of acquiring an extension based on retirement in Thailand, at their discretion.

I'd just cashed in a private pension policy, but they weren't interested in seeing that proof, just sufficient funds to cover 3 months.

Thanks again - all the best wai.gif

any other experiences from other Consulats in Europe issuing or not issuing MULTIPLE non-O based on age 50+ to actual citizens of their country ?

Someone would have to be very lucky to obtain such a visa.

The London Thai Embassy will issue to UK citizens in receipt of a UK old age pension.