A rental condo that I really like, electric 6b/unit, water 40b/unit normal rates?

flyDelight

Average rate for electricity is about 4.5 Baht/kWh. Nationwide.

Exact number depends on consumption (progressive scale, complicated formula and small variation by "fuel surcharge" determined every 3 months).

Range of 4 to 5 Baht is the rule of thumb.

6 Baht/kWh is modest compared to other numbers that I read here.

Can comment on water rate. Thats a local number.

We pay 5 Baht/qm but thats a little upcountry village, so not comparable.

This month we paid 75 Baht tongue.png (15 qm for three adults and one child, no pool. no tub).

But we have to pay for our pump (electricity), changing water filters etc.

So 40 Baht/qm will not break your budget I guess.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Well I am in the water and electricity generating business. I thought it would be interesting for some to see some related facts.

We produce our water for less than 5 Baht/unit including investment payback and all other costs. We charge our domestic customers about 14 Baht/unit ( I know it's a ripoff and a big profit for us), Industrial customers who use a lot of water are charged 25 Baht/unit, these are the profit makers. An average household in our area uses about 11 - 15 units/month, as opposed to the average U.S. household of 30 - 50 units/month.

We also generate electricity, I do not have the exact production cost figures but we charge 3.7 baht/unit.

Add VAT of 7%.

It's a reasonable mark up by the "owner". Making sure the bill is paid is a bigger problem. Many a farang has come home to find is electric/water turned off. Sometimes its the condo association who controls the water and they act like your typical rent-a-cop thinking they can take an action such as cutting off a persons water supply without any recourse. This is and remains why guns were invented...to equalize and quash such attitudes.

Well I am in the water and electricity generating business. I thought it would be interesting for some to see some related facts.

We produce our water for less than 5 Baht/unit including investment payback and all other costs. We charge our domestic customers about 14 Baht/unit ( I know it's a ripoff and a big profit for us), Industrial customers who use a lot of water are charged 25 Baht/unit, these are the profit makers. An average household in our area uses about 11 - 15 units/month, as opposed to the average U.S. household of 30 - 50 units/month.

We also generate electricity, I do not have the exact production cost figures but we charge 3.7 baht/unit.

Add VAT of 7%.

This is my biggest hate about some people in business, why mention the VAT at all.

Why not just tell the customer the full price? Don't answer that, we all know the reason.

Central Parraya condo water is 35 bt per unit and government rate for electric seems to be near 4 bt per unit. No air and I use about 130 electric units per month, water is 13 to 15 units with a woman that uses it like it is priced the same as her village in Issan. Your rates are reasonable in my opinion.

Central Parraya condo water is 35 bt per unit and government rate for electric seems to be near 4 bt per unit. No air and I use about 130 electric units per month, water is 13 to 15 units with a woman that uses it like it is priced the same as her village in Issan. Your rates are reasonable in my opinion.

Yes, mine is much the same. Water is 35 baht per unit. A unit is 1000 litres or 1 cbm

Elec is 4 baht per unit. A unit is 1 kw/hr.

4 baht per unit is cheap. Cheaper than average direct payment to PEA/MEA.

water is 13 to 15 units with a woman that uses it like it is priced the same as her village in Issan

biggrin.png

Here its the grandchild who needs to rinse her hair for hours (felt).

When I complain to wife I get that angry look that could kill.

I don't complain for the price but for the waste of water in an area which got almost no rain this year.

Some water goes to the little garden.

We need 15 qm for four.

Does the owner own the whole condo? If he only owns that one room, he is ripping you off big time. Even for 40 baht / unit, it is a major rip off.

Most condos charge 20-25 baht per unit for water.

Electricity 7-8 baht per unit.

Edited by mike324

4 baht per unit is cheap. Cheaper than average direct payment to PEA/MEA.

Elec is 4 baht per unit. A unit is 1 kw/hr.

Average probably above 4 B/unit. The more you consume, the more expensive are your units.

BTW a unit is a kWh, not a kW/h wink.png

Most condos charge 20-25 baht per unit for water.

I really doubt about that knowing that the price paid by condos in Pattaya

is between 27.5 and 28.0 baht/m3, depending of the total volume.

Edited by Pattaya46

It's a reasonable mark up by the "owner". Making sure the bill is paid is a bigger problem. Many a farang has come home to find is electric/water turned off. Sometimes its the condo association who controls the water and they act like your typical rent-a-cop thinking they can take an action such as cutting off a persons water supply without any recourse.

It is entirely legal for the condo juristic person to cut off access to common areas and common services if bills are unpaid for more than a few months, though notice of the outstanding bill must be given. Water is a common service (electricity is not).

It's a reasonable mark up by the "owner". Making sure the bill is paid is a bigger problem. Many a farang has come home to find is electric/water turned off. Sometimes its the condo association who controls the water and they act like your typical rent-a-cop thinking they can take an action such as cutting off a persons water supply without any recourse.

It is entirely legal for the condo juristic person to cut off access to common areas and common services if bills are unpaid for more than a few months, though notice of the outstanding bill must be given. Water is a common service (electricity is not).

Just to be clear....we are saying that if said "owner" be they Thai or Farang or a "company" hasn't paid it's association fees for whatever period, and some innocent Farang comes along and rents said condo in good faith, said "juristic" person can then cut off the water supply to said unit demanding let's call it a year or three's association fees. This was and remains my point. This "person" does so with the mentality of a rent-a-cop much like the "Tourist Police" and has no fear of recourse which would be deserved in such an example, which has happened more than once.....Recourse aka violence does have an equalizing effect. We all understand blocking a sale of the unit is fair game, but cutting off the water to enforce a financial liability unrelated to said water supply(generally speaking)? Up to you and doing your due diligence prior to renting but to me, it's just not right. You think you can cut off my water? Who are you??(assume the water is paid up if you care to reply)

The juristic person is not a person. It is the co-ownership or building if you prefer.

Regardless of what you may or may not think, a condo building has no contract at all with tenants. The building only deals with co-owners. The building supplies services such as the pool, maintenance, elevators, security, cleaning etc and also supplies water. If the bills for any of these services, including water, are unpaid then all the said services can be withdrawn giving due notice. It's not violence it's just the law, and that's all there is to it.

If you are a tenant then it is in your interest to check that bills are all paid up to date before you move in, and to keep them that way. Is that unfair? Quite probably. Add it to the very long list of examples of inadequate consumer protection in Thailand.