Prayut launches crackdown on organized crime to improve the image of his government

webfact

Ahha... another day, another crackdown, if it wasn't for the daily crackdown announcements, I would think

I'm living in another country, wouldn't be easier to form a crackdown ministry already

with it's on minister of crackdowns? by the way, how do you say crackdown in Thai? do they even

have a proper word for it?

A crackdown means that the "money" is being spread around to far and wide you know the "money"? This way they will narrow the competition for the "money" or the "money" has started getting less and less into certain coffers and this will shake up the donors to get things back on track. The masses will eat this up as a "positive" factor and the "money" train will be put back on track. You kill two birds with one stone. Don't sell these guys short.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about a crackdown on crackdowns?

In all honesty though, if you overlook the ridiculing of the use of language 'improve the appearance'. Surly this is a good thing?

99% of you guys really should go back to where you came from, you obviously hate living in Thailand.

Oh Oh now a crackdown no sorry verbal putdown on the 99% that are unhappy.

Edited by elgordo38

Why doesn't he start with prosecuting the mafia inside the military and RTP? You know, the ones that smuggled or were paid off to provide protection for all those Royhinga and Uighurs that were trafficked through Thailand. That would be the best strategy for improving the image of the government.

There is a western term for this called "Its all Wd and Ps"

Let me get this straight!

The Thai economy is tanking.

The government has passed laws to protect itself from future lawsuits.

Freedom of speech and 1 person-1 vote have been waylaid.

...and "image" improvement by cracking down on anyone below the bosses of corruption is supposed to please the international community?

WaiLai?

Will it be like the crackdown on the tuk tuk drivers involved in the 'gem scam' that was supposed to have happened a couple months ago? The next day I walked by the corner of Ratchadamnoen and they were all still there preying on naive tourists from Khao San road who were walking towards the Grand Palace.

The mafia is so large and well protected that no one will testify against them. I was getting a hair cut and one of the mafias collector came in and my barber had to pay him. The mafia hurts the poor people more than any thing. His comment is like putting lipstick on a pig. All this is lip service but nothing will change because it is nation wide. Big cities and little cities and no one can stop them!

1/ I suppose every TVF member will note that the announced purpose of this crackdown is to 'improve the image of [the] government' rather than simply do the right thing and guffaw (rightly so) about it.

2/ The word 'mafia' is used as though it was a clearly defined concept, the same for everyone, like 'lawn-mower' or 'stuffed turkey'. But of course, it's nothing like that. The word mafia, in line with other highly used and highly sensitive words such as 'terrorism' or 'vice' (which I saw in another article earlier today) are extremely vague and subjective concepts, in spite of the fact that each person who uses them tends to assume that their difinition is the right - and only - one.

When does a 'lobby' become a mafia ? when does a trade union become a mafia ? when does an organization of any kind (local shopkeepers, taxis, parents in a school etc) become a mafia ? when does a political party become a mafia ? etc etc.

Now, before some of you start jumping up and down, telling me that the line is very clear : legal or illegal, please take the time to think about it. I agree, actually, about the 'legal or illegal' concept, but if we look around us we see people, companies, organizations, politicians, and guys in uniform crossing that line all the time. Crossing so often, in some cases, that you wonder if they ever cross it back.

On a small scale, people who share a common activity tend to get together in order to protect their business and is there anything more natural ? It's the 'I got mine, you get yours' attitude and it can remain within the boundaries of legality. Or not. Often not, of course. The Thai bashing team will of course say that 'this is thailand' (they write this idiotic mantra so often that they have to use the acronym TIT for short), implying that here, it's worse that everywhere else. Well, it's not. It's just more visible, more blatant, less hypocritical.

Remember that Gospel parabola about how hard it is to separate the wheat from the shaff ? It's one of my favourites, and it's so beautifully universal.

Edited by Yann55

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

The government yesterday held the first meeting to tackle the mafia problem within a six-month period

Six months.

gigglem.gif

Six months???

Chalerm would have done it in three!

Just give me Article 44 powers for 30 days. Then stand back! w00t.gif

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Ahha... another day, another crackdown, if it wasn't for the daily crackdown announcements, I would think

I'm living in another country, wouldn't be easier to form a crackdown ministry already

with it's on minister of crackdowns? by the way, how do you say crackdown in Thai? do they even

Funny thing is, because of the nature of the crackdown, if there ever was a crackdown on crackdowns it would not last long and the next thing you would know is there would be another one, crackdown that is...................biggrin.png

Actually when I read the heading of this story I thought they were just being silly now, why not just do what they do best and harass the crap out of the Shins. thumbsup.gif

Head to Samui with the corruption busters... The Taxi Mafia is out of hand and hurting the image of a happy place. There are also many many mafia figures on samui and in the Land Office... Land scams and encroachment... Its very sad here...

You make it sound like it is only there.

Newsflash from someone that have traveled the whole country.......

it is the same all over......

Always who to pay off to get something done Government, police or private enterprise

Taxi mafia you can find even in isaan

So good luck...

but with the attitude being that they want this only to improve image (all about that Face) They will fail.... again. and again i'm sorry to say

Always to "improve the image" and never because it's the right thing to do. Have these people no morals?

It is the newspaper that used those words, not the govt.....you did n't read the full story ?

Of course, I am sure a newspaper from shinawatra redshirt heartland would not make anything up to denigrate the govt, would they ? They would have more morals than that .....

A crackdown means that the "money" is being spread around to far and wide you know the "money"? This way they will narrow the competition for the "money" or the "money" has started getting less and less into certain coffers and this will shake up the donors to get things back on track. The masses will eat this up as a "positive" factor and the "money" train will be put back on track. You kill two birds with one stone. Don't sell these guys short.

So, the same intention as a coup?

The government yesterday held the first meeting to tackle the mafia problem within a six-month period

Six months.

gigglem.gif

And the mafia held their first meeting yesterday at military headquarters, the PM was guest speaker and chairman and they all laughed and celebrated. In fact they got so pissed, they drafted a month of crazy announcements that will progressively be released to the media.

Some were so off their faces, they included the same announcements from last year.

well he could start with a "crackdown" on the "mafia" police, nah, forget i said that, its not like i am going to arrest myself and take myself to jail,now i wonder who would the person be to investigate the police, ah i got it the police, didnt a certain person say recently there was no mafia in Thailand, oops, sorry, wrong again.