One person killed and six injured in head-on Phuket crash

webfact

One person killed and six injured in head-on Phuket crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1446784869_1-org.jpg
The driver of the Honda accord was pronounced dead on arrival at Thalang Hospital.

PHUKET: -- One man was man killed and six people, including two Chinese tourists and a two-year-old boy hospitalised when a minivan crossed the central reservation and collided with an oncoming car early this morning (Nov 6) in Thepkassattri.

Thalang police were called to investigate a head-on collision between a minivan carrying two Chinese tourists and a Honda Accord on the southbound side of the Thepkassattri Rd at 1am. It was reported that the driver of the Honda had died and six people had been injured as a result of the accident.

Police arrived at the scene with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find a wrecked Honda Accord with its front completed crushed and the driver, 26-year-old Rachasak Chaithep, trapped inside.

Using the “Jaws of Life”, rescue workers were able to remove Mr Rachasak from the vehicle and immediately took him to Thalang Hospital where he was pronounced death upon arrival.

The passengers in Mr Rachasak's vehicle were his mother, wife and child, they were named as Rachanee Chaithep, 54, (mother), Montawan Raksarak, 26, and 2-year-old Napat Chaithep.

The three passengers suffered minor injuries and were also taken to Thalang hospital.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-person-killed-and-six-injured-in-head-on-phuket-crash-54840.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-06

RIP to the victim. Condolences to family. Speedy recovery to other victims.

When are these minivans going to be stopped? Possibly the worst and most dangerous drivers EVER!

In the "hub of crackdowns," taking these speed demons off the road should be a top priority.

They need to ban Black Killer Film off windscreens.

What's the connection between window tint and this accident?

Exactly - what connection ?

It was the minivan (likely speeding/crazy driving) that caused this accident.

If that's the photo of the car, what did the minivan look like.

I have given up the hope that the roads would be made safe in near future.

I think the chances to have safer driving in Thailand probably relies only in the self-autonomously driven vehicles in the next decades. There is not much other way if they don't want to drive in a respectful manner. Lack of law enforcement also a big factor, we dont see many time speeding drivers chased down by any patrolling police, they even take over the policemen high speed and no helmet...

Edited by huahinjoe

Its just unbelievable that this goes on and and on,surely every country should warn their travelers/tourist the death trap of a country they are entering, because its obvious to one and all non thais, that Thailand are incapable of enforcing the law or even care how many are killed!

When are these minivans going to be stopped? Possibly the worst and most dangerous drivers EVER!

In the "hub of crackdowns," taking these speed demons off the road should be a top priority.

Thai drivers are maniacs.

The van drivers are suicidal maniacs , Kamakazi lunatics with no concern for human life, they only think of getting one more trip in the day.

The thai PM has never mentioned doing anything about this problem in Thailand as he is more interested in closing bars.

Shame on him and his big crackdowns, but no driving concerns for the deadliest roads in the world.

Just remember to flash your lights and accelerate towards hazards in front of you ,if they are not out of your way in time then hope you have enough merit to come back as a soi dog.

RIP to the deceased and condolences to family and friends Another shocking road accident in Thailand sure they happen in other countries but not as often as in Thailand, and no silly police comment that if the bars were to stay open later they might have all been still sitting having a drink in a bar rather than driving on the road. Blame the early closing times for the accident.

Thailand seriously needs a "Vehicular Manslaughter" law, with a minimum 5 year, non-suspendable sentence.

Vehicular Manslaughter usually has an alcohol component which substitutes for criminal intent making it a criminal act punishable by imprisonment. An accident (minus gross negligence) however, is just an accident and part of life and death on roadways throughout the world.

The majority of Thai Drivers are not maniacs, they simply drive by a different set of rules.

The driving test does not set a high benchmark to start with. People require very little tuition to pass it.

But even then many have not taken it, either obtaining one via the back door or just not bothering.

Then many believe in reincarnation and Spirits and they assume their path is already laid out for them.

Their driving style is the same as pedestrians. Follow the same rules you would do on foot and it all makes more sense.

The government's priority is not to develop safe driving, but to ban the sale of alcohol near schools so that students have to walk further to buy it.

Thailand seriously needs a "Vehicular Manslaughter" law, with a minimum 5 year, non-suspendable sentence.

Vehicular Manslaughter usually has an alcohol component which substitutes for criminal intent making it a criminal act punishable by imprisonment. An accident (minus gross negligence) however, is just an accident and part of life and death on roadways throughout the world.

You're an expert on Thai law?

I would guess that gross negligence, as you term it, could be attached to a high proportion of accidents in Thailand: speeding, driving without regard for conditions, dangerous overtaking, running red lights, driving without lights at night, driving an unroadworthy vehicle, driving without a licence..........I could go on.

Actually, western governments should issue travel advisories against visiting Thailand. How many tourists are killed in Somalia or Sudan? and how many in Thailand as a result of road carnage? a multiple I should think. The only way to get Thai government / bureaucracy to do anything is when their face.... "image" is on the block......

Edited by eddie61

Compare this guy getting a slap on the wrist and a small fine, to this guy who gets life in prison without the possibility of parole. Not quite the same case, but still killing with a vehicle. Some countries have justice, while others have payola. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sxsw-hit-and-run-driver-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-20151106

Its just unbelievable that this goes on and and on,surely every country should warn their travelers/tourist the death trap of a country they are entering, because its obvious to one and all non thais, that Thailand are incapable of enforcing the law or even care how many are killed!

Australia does on their Smart Traveller website.

look at the time, 1 am, just wondered if he fell asleep at the wheel, they drive for hours without a rest,i had a taxi driver last week, at 4 am, he was out on his feet, luckily my journey was only a couple of miles i could see he was not far off dozing off, so i kept him talking

It's a pity the mini bus drivers always seem to escape with minor injuries when they seem to cause most of the accidents.

It's the same with drunk drivers. They cause the accident, kill and hurt others involved, but they seem more than not to walk away from it with minor or no injuries.

It is not a "accident". They are murderous Thai drivers. They try to kill me almost everyday in their deliberate game of chicken.

I have lost track of how many times I have been forced off the road by a mini van driver coming straight at me in my lane.