METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

anotheruser, You don't get the point. Many, like myself would pay 100k for a Year. But for 5 Years? My plans can change. The Government can change, the stability of this country and many other variables.

100k is no money. But i wouldn't pay that for 5 Years in advance.

• Like 2

I think it is pretty obvious the Thai elite visa is there for anybody wishing to get a visa that doesn't have a retirement visa or a work permit. I used to think people were snobs who said this but seriously if you can't stump up the 500k to get the elite visa you really can't afford to be over here. They should get rid of the 20,000 limit for over staying and charge 500 a day with no limit at all. The elite visa is around 300 a day it is cheaper than that would be. If you can not afford 300 Baht a day then Thailand really doesn't need you and the argument about how much you bring into the economy is a moot point.

The EV is a good option for anyone that wants to marry a Thai from the bars in Pattaya, Nana or Cowboy so before they buy build a house, buy a car or a tractor for the family thy should get a 5y visa upfront which still permits them to stay after the marriage fails a year later (when the house is build) and the car is paid off. See it all the time, they build a houses, buy cars, bikes etc but on the end no money for a real retirement visa so they need to use the sharks (visa mills) in Pattaya to get their extension on retirement.

The cousin of my lassie runs one of the largest visa mills in Pattaya with close links to the police and immigration. The stamps and accessories are even at her office.

I think it is pretty obvious the Thai elite visa is there for anybody wishing to get a visa that doesn't have a retirement visa or a work permit. I used to think people were snobs who said this but seriously if you can't stump up the 500k to get the elite visa you really can't afford to be over here. They should get rid of the 20,000 limit for over staying and charge 500 a day with no limit at all. The elite visa is around 300 a day it is cheaper than that would be. If you can not afford 300 Baht a day then Thailand really doesn't need you and the argument about how much you bring into the economy is a moot point.

The EV is a good option for anyone that wants to marry a Thai from the bars in Pattaya, Nana or Cowboy so before they buy build a house, buy a car or a tractor for the family thy should get a 5y visa upfront which still permits them to stay after the marriage fails a year later (when the house is build) and the car is paid off. See it all the time, they build a houses, buy cars, bikes etc but on the end no money for a real retirement visa so they need to use the sharks (visa mills) in Pattaya to get their extension on retirement.

The cousin of my lassie runs one of the largest visa mills in Pattaya with close links to the police and immigration. The stamps and accessories are even at her office.

So why should/would anyone fork over 500K baht for the Elite when they could just pay a visit to the cousin of your lassie?

So why should/would anyone fork over 500K baht for the Elite when they could just pay a visit to the cousin of your lassie?

It's the over 50s on that service, so they wouldn't need Elite.

I'm happy for those guys, great that they find a way to stay.

Wrong.

I can afford 20 elite visas I just refuse to pay for one. It's a poor value for me and apparently many other people.

Let's look at it this way. I can afford to live in a hotel, but choose to rent. Yet in my case I'm not even renting, but living for free in my gf house.

Everyone's situation is different.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

So allegedly, your lassie cousin will have his business closed by next year?

You miss my point.......as usual .

Blind freddy could forsee no rule about the limit to back to back tv being just blank cheque to abuse. I am over this. Thai set up these rules and guess what.....they now see that the rules that THEY made are stupid. The solution....introduce another stupid visa. METV.

Most brainless mob you could nit invent

'Brainless' being the key word. And it applies to everything here.

Look at Singapore, geographically few hundred kilometers away, but light years ahead of Thailand in every economic measure. There is no comparison. Why is that?

Other South East Asian nations have legitimate reasons for laggig behind rest of the world, Vietnam was burnt to the grownd, Cambodia a devastating civil war.

Thailand has enjoyd peace and prosperity. But look at it. And now look at Singapore. These are neighbouring nations, yet they seem far apart as Nigeria and Denmark.

Thailand was greatly harmed by the events that affected Laos and Cambodia - there was a civil war here with the communists (or, rather, people who called themselves by that name), who routinely executed schoolteachers. In some areas, the military had to "become schoolteachers" because it was too dangerous for anyone else to do it. There were more Red troops on Thai borders than the entire Thai army, in the 70s.

It is a miracle Thailand survived, but it was not without cost - a cost than continues with the 'red/yellow' division, to this day, to spite the incredible work of the King to help the poorest of the poor. The irony is, the West switched sides (not the first time), backed China's rise, to undermine the citizens of the nations where it had consolidated power, and then backed the Red-Dubai alliance, against the very Thais with whom they had previously alligned against the Reds.

Power never adheres to a political ideology for ideological reasons - it does not "believe" in anything. Power just uses "whatever works for now" to increase power. I think what is going down with visas may be fallout from this, as Thailand attempts to maintain a balance between foreign powers, as they have done for centuries, to maintain their independence.

• Like 1

anotheruser, You don't get the point. Many, like myself would pay 100k for a Year. But for 5 Years? My plans can change. The Government can change, the stability of this country and many other variables.

I think it is you that can not grasp the point. If you don't have 500K then you don't have the price of admission. For what it is worth I was intending to stay awhile in Thailand and this impacts me as well as I am not 50 or over. I sort of thought the same thing as you about shelling out for 5 years but I am not going to do it and as such will be going somewhere else. See? I do get the point, I am not willing to part with the money so therefore I must find somewhere else to stay. I can afford it but choose to go elsewhere. If Thailand hadn't become so batshit crazy I would have done it.

This is a very very low amount of money to shell out to be a foreign resident. Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

So allegedly, your lassie cousin will have his business closed by next year?

I really don't care. She is so loaded with cash she could retire now with her 42 years.

In her 7 years in Pattaya she build herself many mansions and bought over 300 Rai of land.

Amazingly how she dumped her boyfriend at 19 because he didn't had enough money, then moved to Pattaya to got a farang sucker and dumped that old sucker to get one of the top cops in Pattaya as her hubby/door opener.

I have high respect for her but never took her services once as I prefer to get my visa once a year in my home country as compared to her visa mill.

anotheruser, i have 500k. I could buy 10 x this Visa. I explained already why i wouldn't. It seems, you and others believe that all the visa runners are cheap poor charlies. Money is not the problem. You and many others assume that people who don't want spend 500k for the visa, can't effort it. That's just wrong. It was you who calculate how much the visa costs per day. Who cares?

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

I think MobileContent is being swamped by PM asking for his lassie cousin number tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Not at all. Besides people that are staying in Pattaya know exactly who the visa mills are. Their are only a few.

I dont live in Pattaya, please enlighten me.(or PM me)

You miss my point.......as usual .

Blind freddy could forsee no rule about the limit to back to back tv being just blank cheque to abuse. I am over this. Thai set up these rules and guess what.....they now see that the rules that THEY made are stupid. The solution....introduce another stupid visa. METV.

Most brainless mob you could nit invent

'Brainless' being the key word. And it applies to everything here.

Look at Singapore, geographically few hundred kilometers away, but light years ahead of Thailand in every economic measure. There is no comparison. Why is that?

Other South East Asian nations have legitimate reasons for laggig behind rest of the world, Vietnam was burnt to the grownd, Cambodia a devastating civil war.

Thailand has enjoyd peace and prosperity. But look at it. And now look at Singapore. These are neighbouring nations, yet they seem far apart as Nigeria and Denmark.

This latest immigration disaster fits the patern of gross mismanagement and incompetence here perfectly! Apply logic and reason, and then do the opposite!

We speculate here what may have been the rational behind this new METV, and we are trying to come up with answers, doing it is waste of time.

There is no logic here. Things just happen here, and logic is not a word in dictionaries here. Economic growth, and countries development are not in minds of people coming up with rules here.

Nothing drastic will happen as a result of this new rule, maybe few less Thais learning English, few less dollars being spent to benefit Thai economy. But add past decades of similarly poor decisons in every field, the staggering, unbelievable incompetence, and it becomes clear why Thailand is where it's at today, and Singapore is what it is.

Again, other than management, and few hundred miles separate these two nations, yet in terms of Human Development Index (HDI) they can't even be compared.

Singapore is where it is today because it had the same (Benevolent) dictator in place for 50years & a couple of generations made sacrifices (still struggling today) so their kid's kid's kids could have the latest IPhones.

Perhaps the good general can do the same thing in Thailand, though I doubt the Thai people (never mind places like US) would give him the same leeway that LKY had.

Edited by JB300

Laws are regulations on human-activity written by other people with power. There is no diety involved - no spirit. One obeys laws for one of two possible reasons: 1. The consequences of not obeying are the use of force against oneself (would be 'foolish'). 2. It is not something one wanted to do anyway (would be 'wrong').

For me, violence, theft, and stealing jobs from people in their homeland fall into the 2nd category - removing laws on this would not change my behavior one whit. Those things are 'wrong'. But Immigration restrictions upon self-supporting persons with foreign-sourced income fall into the first category - the only reason to comply, is because the consequences for not obeying make disobedience 'foolish'.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with this activity - it even benefits the locals. Therefore, if the "rules" say there is no limit on "being in Thailand" while on TVs, then there is nothing at all 'wrong' or 'foolish' by doing so, IMO. I am puzzled by the opinions of others whom, it would seem, find it 'wrong' to do this. I cannot find any logical reason why it would be 'wrong'. There is no victim, and no "rule" has been broken.

you are misusing the meaning of the word "spirit" in this case. and just because there is an unintended loophole in a written law that can be used legally despite the fact it wasnt intended to be used that way doesnt make it moral. The use of loopholes like that is what lawyers do. lawyers dont recognize morality.

I do not consider the rather obvious omission of a limit on TV-stay in Thailand to be a "unintended" nor a "loophole." Yes, I did make a tangent on the word 'spirit' - to make a point about the nature of law and force - versus morality - and that the two are in no way synonyms, though they may sometimes overlap.

I would suggest that those who "do nothing wrong" attempt to do it in Australia by entering with a tourist visa and then staying for as long as they wish.

Would that work out OK ?

No, it would not - unless Australia is like the USA, where they could even do immoral things, like take jobs from locals, with no consequences. Assuming Australia enforces its laws (key word-root is 'force'), this would match the "foolish" example, above. This is the same reason I have made trips to nearby Thai consulates for visas, as required by law, and stayed out of the country for months at a time.

Maybe lassie cousin can organize an METV. Save flying back to farang world. Sadly though illegal

Nope - Her main focus are on Farangs, Indians etc in Pattaya that don't have the money for retirement (extension of stay) (800k) and they charge between 30-50k plus on top 3k for doing the 90 days reporting.

The METV visa is just the start of the whole clamp down.

Immigration Chief of Sakon Nakhon (great lady) will reach out once again this Sunday at our Amphur so hopefully I can know more details. She is currently in Bangkok where all immigration chiefs are meeting up in Bangkok from all over Thailand this week.

Edited by MobileContent

...This is a very very low amount of money to shell out to be a foreign resident. Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

But the deal isn't for permanent residency. If it was - yes - it would be a great offer. It is just a 5-year pass, then "poof" - you are back to TVs (if still under 50 and/or the laws for over 50s haven't since excluded you).

Edit - correction, there is a 20-year offer, too - but still not a permanent solution, as even a 30 year-old doesn't know what the 50+ rules will be in the future. Could get all set up, then nowhere to go.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

Maybe lassie cousin can organize an METV. Save flying back to farang world. Sadly though illegal

Nope - Her main focus are on Farangs, Indians etc in Pattaya that don't have the money for retirement (extension of stay) (800k) and they charge between 30-50k plus on top 3k for doing the 90 days reporting.

Immigration Chief of Sakon Nakhon (great lady) will reach out once again this Sunday at our Amphur so hopefully I can know more details. She is currently in Bangkok where all immigration chiefs are meeting up in Bangkok from all over Thailand this week.

30-50k a year per head ! That's how you get yourself mansions.

Must remember to get a immigration officer BF...

I think MobileContent is being swamped by PM asking for his lassie cousin number tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Not at all. Besides people that are staying in Pattaya know exactly who the visa mills are. Their are only a few.

I dont live in Pattaya, please enlighten me.(or PM me)

Its not my business to enlighten you. Try a wat :)

30-50k a year per head ! That's how you get yourself mansions.

Must remember to get a immigration officer BF...

Nope its police. Immigration is under Police and they control everything in Pattaya. The immigration just get a small tip.

...This is a very very low amount of money to shell out to be a foreign resident. Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

But the deal isn't for permanent residency. If it was - yes - it would be a great offer. It is just a 5-year pass, then "poof" - you are back to TVs (if still under 50 and/or the laws for over 50s haven't since excluded you).

Edit - correction, there is a 20-year offer, too - but still not a permanent solution, as even a 30 year-old doesn't know what the 50+ rules will be in the future. Could get all set up, then nowhere to go.

Okay, for the people that seem to fail to understand... you pay the money for 5 years, no country gives out permanent residency for 500K. If you are unwilling or unable to buy this visa and do not qualify for any other visa you simply are not welcome in Thailand. What is so hard for people to understand about this? People think they can haggle like they are buying flip flops at the market. 5 years for 500K is a bargain. Again this is about as low as you could possibly set the bar on this one.

For people saying they do not want to commit to 5 years, maybe part of the reason for making that the minimum is to affirm the people that buy it are committed to the country. By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

You see members posting that they decided to do it to end all of the hassle. They post it does what it says. This option is available to ANYONE so it is an easy option. If you are so committed to living here that you can not justify forking out a measly $15,000 maybe you are indeed the sort of person Thailand is trying to eliminate. I am not trying to be sanctimonious by any means but the thing people don't seem to realize is if you don't have an adequate amount of money or have it but claim to be unwilling to pay it Thailand no longer wants you. Get it?

• Like 1

Amongst all this speculation, the Thai authorities have not announced any crackdown on certain groups or stated who they want in and out of the country.

Its just a whole lot of BS by the same farangs that run down everything about Thailand, yet scream blue murder when it looks like they might have to pay a little more or leave the country every so often.

I would not be suprised if there is no big conspiracy against certain groups, and Thailand is either just streamlining its visa system

or fitting in with the new the system that all the ASEAN countries agreed on

• Like 1

You see members posting that they decided to do it to end all of the hassle. They post it does what it says. This option is available to ANYONE so it is an easy option. If you are so committed to living here that you can not justify forking out a measly $15,000 maybe you are indeed the sort of person Thailand is trying to eliminate. I am not trying to be sanctimonious by any means but the thing people don't seem to realize is if you don't have an adequate amount of money or have it but claim to be unwilling to pay it Thailand no longer wants you. Get it?

Err... Actually there are posters who said they were quite cheesed off by elite visa.

No limo transfer as promised for one, another one also lost his passport, he was told to buy himself a visa run (sit in a smelly van for 2 days) to re-apply abroad. Not a happy chappy. So even 500K does not buy you the end of hassle.