Air conditioner recommendation

bkkgooner

Mitsubishi and Daikin seem to be the favorites - b/c very quiet and efficient. I have some friends that really like their Samsung. There are folks that love the great deal they get on Chinese "no name" brands - but maybe the same folks that complain about their electric bill. ?

I have a Mitsubishi inverter unit. I will never buy another inverter unit and I wouldn't recommend it if you live outside of the larger metropolises. A lightning strike cost me 16,000 Baht and 2 months waiting on parts.

And that was the fault of your aircon unit was it ?

I have Daikin inverters which are great. Had a lightning strike and they stopped working. Rang Daikin and they said switch off the fuse for a few seconds and then switch back on. Everything fine after that. Sounds like Gonsalviz had the p**** taken. The Daikin and the Mitsubishi are made in the same factory and are virtually identical. Daikin is both economical and works as it should. Would definitely never buy any other make.

We have a Samsung 18,000 btu Inverter for the bedroom which is 36 sq.m. floor area. It pulls the room down to 26 deg in 10 - 15mins, dependent upon external temperature, and then runs virtually silent for the rest of the night. It appears to be very economical to run. We paid about 25K baht at Siam TV.

In our previous house, which had a smaller bedroom, we had a 12,000 btu Panasonic Inverter unit which was also very economical and silent..

Thank you for all of your suggestions, definitely looks like I should be going for an inverter and Daikin or Mitsubishi with Samsung as a backup

I was going off this calculator and selecting 18,000 BTU based on a room of 20 sqm

http://www.rung-ruengair.com/new/InformationAir.html

Maybe I should be opting for the 12,000 BTU?

Edited by bkkgooner

we bought one of mitsubishi latest units,ECON AIR 18,000BTU. 28,000bht.

this replaced a 12,000btu.saiji denki in our master bedroom.savings have on average been 400-600bht.a month.

ours is not inverter,its a thermostat controlled very cold set at 24,unless someone opens the bedroom door and dont shut it,thats the only time the transformer will come in.very quiet.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone has their preferences and as with all things some may have good experiences and bad experiences with certain makes and models of air conditioning units.

We had a Samsung and was very disappointed with it. It seems Mitsubishi is the way to go. They are usually more expensive then the rest because Mitsubishi has a good reputation. Most Thais will recommend Mitsubishi.

Edited by cyberfarang

What's the difference between Inverter and non-Inverter?

Inverters regulate compressor rpm according to need.

(Lower noise, less power in theory)

Old school is just compressor on/off.

Inverter referring the the converting circuitry of voltage from 220v mains to something variable to the compressor.

^ Check your Customer Unit / Breaker Box and see what the Main Circuit Breaker Size, and Ideally, you need to have one separate breaker for each aircon, so check if you have spares in the Customer Unit / Breaker Box.

One more thing to think about is Wire Size from the Box to the Aircon

Maybe ask your question here ? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/191-the-electrical-forum/

Edited by MJCM

A few months ago we installed LG's top of the line 24000 btu inverter model in our bedroom. I don't think I'll ever buy an LG aircon again. Even on the lowest fan setting, it is still blowing relatively loud and hard. Sort of reminds me of the cheap motels with really old air conditioners that blast air like mad no matter the setting. Of course it's not quite that bad but for such an expensive unit it is unacceptable. Even the cheap Samsung unit we have in our condo has a quiet mode which is really quiet.