Advice on visa now double-entry tourist visa is gone

I came here from the UK on a triple entry visa

Then got a double from loas

My visa will run out in early January

I am not anywhere near 50 or have any plans to get married soon

I am not working here I have a medium size income coming from the UK from rental properties

I do not want to return to the uk

I was thinking about getting a ED visa before my Thai is shocking and would like to speak Thai

And was looking forward to haveing something to do

But is this still possible with all the changes with visa rules at the moment have they changed this? Or is it still possible

Also I am worried that I finally learn a second language and then can't live in the country

But I suppose it will come in handy when If i retire here or when I come back for hoildays

If i can't get a ED visa can I get at least one more single entry visa in loas, this will give me enough time to move somewhere else

Or is it possible I find my self stuck in loas with no way of returning to Thailand where I have a lot of belongings

I am not sure what to do I really don't want to leave Thailand But if i have to I have to

Anyone else in the same boat I would like to know what your plans are

And dose anyone know how many SETV I can get in a row if any from loas after a triple then a double

Also if you have to go live somewhere else where would you go?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by juice777

Wow that's a lot of questions !

1/ For ED visa I would say yes if you are outside BKK.

2/Yes you can get a single in Laos, they used to limit the double back to back at 3, so you should be fine.

3/ For SETV in row, we dont know yet the rule is new

• Like 1

2/Yes you can get a single in Laos, they used to limit the double back to back at 3, so you should be fine.

So you don't think it is time to panic yet and maybe start making plans to leave in Jan?

And I live in Pattaya but just curious why outside bkk is better?

Edited by juice777

I think only you can decide if it is worth the hassle to try to stay here or leave. My opinion is that actions speak louder than words and even though no one from the Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). Contrast the current policy to what was happening just three years ago and it is very easy to see where we are headed. Check out another thread currently running on TV where the OP talks about an Australian getting a 1 Non O visa for visiting friends in Thailand. I also added this; "A Canadian consulate gave me a Non O for visiting my GF 3 1/2 years ago. The consular officials were actively promoting these visas to travelers at the time. You would walk into the the consular office with the intention of obtaining a tourist visa and the official would immediately ask you if you have a GF in Thailand.." It was that easy just 3 years ago. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868486-immigrant-o-visa/

• Like 1

So you don't think it is time to panic yet and maybe start making plans to leave in Jan?

And I live in Pattaya but just curious why outside bkk is better?

Stop listening to scaremongers,If you are in Pattaya you have nothing to worry about.

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

• Like 2

Why outside of BKK for a ED visa?

There are lots of topics about this.

BKK is the worse place for private schools ED visa since the appointment of new head of ED immi last year.

Pattaya is fine.

I see. My friends triple entry tourist runs out at the end of January and he is thinking of getting an ED visa, he lives in BKK. Would this be a problem after 9 months on a tourist visa to switch to ED?

The thing is, you will still find some schools in BKK desperate to stay in business, selling you a year worth of ED visa and saying you will get extensions every 3 months. They have all the accreditation from the MOE, you will pay for the course, do the lessons, get the visa.

But unless you get a multiple ED, and you can just do border runs every 3 months, you will have to go to BKK immigration to extend. and that's when troubles start.

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Good ideal but I have no plans to sell yet maybe never

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

then maybe keep doing that for a few years

• Like 1

I think only you can decide if it is worth the hassle to try to stay here or leave. My opinion is that actions speak louder than words and even though no one from the Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). Contrast the current policy to what was happening just three years ago and it is very easy to see where we are headed. Check out another thread currently running on TV where the OP talks about an Australian getting a 1 Non O visa for visiting friends in Thailand. I also added this; "A Canadian consulate gave me a Non O for visiting my GF 3 1/2 years ago. The consular officials were actively promoting these visas to travelers at the time. You would walk into the the consular office with the intention of obtaining a tourist visa and the official would immediately ask you if you have a GF in Thailand.." It was that easy just 3 years ago. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868486-immigrant-o-visa/

"Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). "

Apparently the clarity has flown over your head (farang style).

They want those using visa exempt entries to be those who are making short term visits to Thailand and those using tourist visas to be real tourists who have money to spend rather than those who stay here either because they haven't enough money to qualify for any of the legitimate long stay options or those who have taken illegal employment here.

The number of "self-sufficient" foreigners here who can't manage one of the available options, including the option of visiting their home country to obtain the new METV or using the Thai Elite approach is undoubtedly underwhelming compared to the number who exist here year after year doing border runs because they haven't the resources to meet the requirements for a retirement or marriage extension or because they have taken employment without bothering with or qualifying for a work permit. And yet even they can probably soldier on a little less conveniently.

What should inspire clarity is that too many people have abused the system and too many of them have bragged about it on TV and the social media and way too many have continued to stay in the country long after their permission to stay has expired and now the loopholes are being closed. And, as always, there may indeed be some comparatively innocent victims of the crackdown, but put the blame on those who have been gaming the system, not on the government that is making a reasonable response to a problem that is happening world-wide ... economic refugees of one sort of the other regarding some countries as their personal refugee camps.

Sorry I don't fit into any of those groups

I am not retired

I am not married

Even if i could afford a elite visa, I am not sure if i want to live here for all those years

I am not working

And i can't even Get a METV as I don't work the only way for me is to go home take any job what i don't want, I can't even go to India or somewhere then come back in a year or something,that's the bit I hate why can't i go somewhere else as long as I am out of the country say for six months what difference dose it make to them, as long as I out of the country for a while that's the only bit i don't agree with,

I haven't been taking advantage of any loopholes I apply for visas they give them to me

If they don't want me and my money I suppose I will have to leave

The more I think about it the more I think it's time to go

single entry + extension, lao for another single entry + extension=6 months. home for 6 months. problem solved

• Like 1

Check into working for a NGO as a volunteer, most NGO's are able to get you a work permit. I had a friend who did this. He only worked a few days a week.

Or speak to someone that owns a company and see if they will help you get a work permit and you work a few days a week for them. I worked for one company 2 days

a week for 1 year in exchange they provided me all the documents to get a multi B visa and work permit.

• Like 2

"Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). "

Apparently the clarity has flown over your head (farang style).

They want those using visa exempt entries to be those who are making short term visits to Thailand and those using tourist visas to be real tourists who have money to spend rather than those who stay here either because they haven't enough money to qualify for any of the legitimate long stay options or those who have taken illegal employment here.

The number of "self-sufficient" foreigners here who can't manage one of the available options, including the option of visiting their home country to obtain the new METV or using the Thai Elite approach is undoubtedly underwhelming compared to the number who exist here year after year doing border runs because they haven't the resources to meet the requirements for a retirement or marriage extension or because they have taken employment without bothering with or qualifying for a work permit. And yet even they can probably soldier on a little less conveniently.

What should inspire clarity is that too many people have abused the system and too many of them have bragged about it on TV and the social media and way too many have continued to stay in the country long after their permission to stay has expired and now the loopholes are being closed. And, as always, there may indeed be some comparatively innocent victims of the crackdown, but put the blame on those who have been gaming the system, not on the government that is making a reasonable response to a problem that is happening world-wide ... economic refugees of one sort of the other regarding some countries as their personal refugee camps.

Sorry I don't fit into any of those groups

I am not retired

I am not married

Even if i could afford a elite visa, I am not sure if i want to live here for all those years

I am not working

And i can't even Get a METV as I don't work the only way for me is to go home take any job what i don't want, I can't even go to India or somewhere then come back in a year or something,that's the bit I hate why can't i go somewhere else as long as I am out of the country say for six months what difference dose it make to them, as long as I out of the country for a while that's the only bit i don't agree with,

I haven't been taking advantage of any loopholes I apply for visas they give them to me

If they don't want me and my money I suppose I will have to leave

The more I think about it the more I think it's time to go

single entry + extension, lao for another single entry + extension=6 months. home for 6 months. problem solved
Yes I hope so but will I get those single entry visas after a triple and a double

Yes I will look into that I have wonderd if there is some sort of volunteer work I could do as I say I haven't got much to do

Don't think I know anyone who owns a Company and not sure if I want to bend any rules

Yes I hope so but will I get those single entry visas after a triple and a double

if u stay out for 6 months? sure

Nonsense, There is no rule that say you have to stay out of the country for 6 months to get another.visa.

It will not be a problem for him get a single entry tourist visa in Laos.

• Like 1

Nonsense, There is no rule that say you have to stay out of the country for 6 months to get another.visa.

Nonsense?? where did I say he had to stay out for 6 months?? It was him that said he wanted to be out of the country for 6 months?

Options:

• You can clear your history at "consulates" with a new passport - this will allow you to get more SETVs, but will not affect what Immigration sees. Bottom line, you can then apply for more SETVs. Leaving for months then coming back still shows the old Visas, which may be held against you at the consulates (it was in my case), resulting in a blue-stamp.
  • Two SETVs plus 2 visa Exempts (VEs), all extended, gets you ~10 mo here. If 3 SETVs before blue-stamp, then close to 13 months. After this, it is "new passport" time. There is no legal time-limit on living in Thailand as a Tourist, and the METV does not change this.
  • Yes you can do Edu - costs ~25K to the school + visa-cost + 1900 Baht every 3 mo at immigration for extensions. Downside - 4 days/wk now (or is it now 5 ?), and every few months, the rules for "tea money," to be left in peace, seem to change.
  • Volunteer work, per the above poster's advice, or work here, if you have a qualifying degree. AFAIK, you must be hired at a min-salary for a particular profession, so not sure how the story told above met the mark. If working as a teacher, with a legal visa / work permit, the salary requirement is waived.
  • See the other thread for ideas on how to apply for an METV without "going home": http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/page-9#entry10049407 and

whistling.gif If you have a current double or triple Tourist visa you will NOT be able to get a new one after 13 November 2015.

However, according to what I was told in immigration on 5 November, if you currently have a valid double entry tourist visa you may continue to use it after 13 November as long as it stays valid.....to include activating your 2nd entry.

However, once that double or triple entry tourist visa expires you will not be able to get another double or triple entry after 13 November.

But if you are currently on a double entry tourist visa at this time, it will not simply be canceled on 13 November but it will remain good until it would normally expire anyway.

That is he word I was given at CW on 5 November.

Like everything, however, we will have to wait to see what really happens after 13 November.

Is the Elite card out of financial reach?

-------------------------------

In my particular case, it is right now, but it won't be in January......which is exactly why I am presently on a double entry tourist visa.

In my case, in January my bank account will be over 500K, so the elite visa should be a viable option.

I hope that is the case but I think that will go soon as well, why get rid of the double but keep back to back singles makes no sense to me

• Like 1

Nonsense?? where did I say he had to stay out for 6 months?? It was him that said he wanted to be out of the country for 6 months?

I don't see where he says he going to stay out of the country for 6 months.

It appeared you were saying he could not get another visa for 6 months.

I don't see where he says he going to stay out of the country for 6 months.

It appeared you were saying he could not get another visa for 6 months.

I think everyone one is geting confused lol

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

Good ideal but I have no plans to sell yet maybe never

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

then maybe keep doing that for a few years

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.