How dose a ED visa work

Hi I am thinking of getting a ED visa

I was thinking of getting one any way even before they double-entry tourist visa went

I would like to learn Thai and I have plenty of free time and need something to do lol

Can someone please explain how it all works I've been searching Google but get conflicting or out of date information

Or post a link to a website which explains it all

I need to know how much the visa cost do I have to go on visa runs or extend it here after 3 or 6 months

Or is it good for 1 year

Can I get one in Thailand or do I have to leave and get one in loas

And can anyone recommend a good school in Pattaya which also helps you with getting the visa

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

The first step is to choose a school that can qualify for you to get an ED visa and extensions of stay. Pay the tuition for 400 hours of study if you want to remain for a year or 200 hours for 6 months.

Then you will need to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-ed visa that costs 2000 baht. The visa will allow a 90 day entry.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you can apply for a 90 day extension at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

Between the 90 entry and extensions can get a total stay for 12 months before needing to go out for anther visa.

The ED visa game is over. You have 2 options:

Pay a lot of tuition for a legit school and attend classes as stipulated by Education ministry. A lot of work and time and money.

-or-

pay even more money and work with the school to falsify your attendance records to show you have been attending.

In either case depending on whether the Imm officer is constipated or not that day...he may test you on whatever subject you are supposed to be learning...and no matter what the results....he may give you only 30 days extension and tell you to come back in 30 days for another test.

Each time...you are $1900 baht lighter or more (school may them want a bribe to share with him)

You first must get a Non B Ed visa with school documentation (out of Thailand) .this gives you 90 days ...then after this 90 days...the fun as detailed above starts....I would recommend against it unless you really want to be a legit student and have the funds to do so.

• Like 1

The ED visa game is over. You have 2 options:

Pay a lot of tuition for a legit school and attend classes as stipulated by Education ministry. A lot of work and time and money.

-or-

pay even more money and work with the school to falsify your attendance records to show you have been attending.

In either case depending on whether the Imm officer is constipated or not that day...he may test you on whatever subject you are supposed to be learning...and no matter what the results....he may give you only 30 days extension and tell you to come back in 30 days for another test.

Each time...you are $1900 baht lighter or more (school may them want a bribe to share with him)

You first must get a Non B Ed visa with school documentation (out of Thailand) .this gives you 90 days ...then after this 90 days...the fun as detailed above starts....I would recommend against it unless you really want to be a legit student and have the funds to do so.

I want to be a legitimate student I've just been quoted 17000b for 180 hours

Plus 8000b for a visa run

Plus 1900b x 3 stamps at the Embassy

Which seems like a good deal 2 me

As it works out about 2000b more then 2 geting 2 doubles a year and you can't do that now anyway

And I learn Thai and only have 2 go on one visa run

What do you think about that? Dose that sound ok or am I missing something?

Just 180 hours of study might give you a total stay of 6 months.

You go to the local immigration office to get the 90 day extensions for a fee of 1900 baht. You don't have to go out to an embassy to get them.

that's about right...so for 12 months your likely expense would be:

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

= 41,600 + 2 Visa Runs for Non -B s (8000) = about 50,000 baht total

As I said...it's not cheap. And every 90 days you are faced with the stress of Immigration 'maybe' not giving you 90 days extension. In Bkk now it is quite common that people are getting 30 days and then told to come back. Another $1900 then they get an additional 60 days.

Edited by tonray

You go to the local immigration office to get the 90 day extensions for a fee of 1900 baht. You don't have to go out to an embassy to get them.

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

As I said...it's not cheap. And every 90 days you are faced with the stress of Immigration 'maybe' not giving you 90 days extension. In Bkk now it is quite common that people are getting 30 days and then told to come back. Another $1900 then they get an additional 60 days.

Why are the visa runs so expensive? 8000 baht for what? A train journey to Vientianne and back with cheap accommodation isn't going to cost 8000 baht. What am I missing?

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

Why are the visa runs so expensive? 8000 baht for what? A train journey to Vientianne and back with cheap accommodation isn't going to cost 8000 baht. What am I missing?

I simply used the OPs number.....should be closer to 4500 baht unless he likes to fly first class....(2000 for the Non-B , 1500 for the Lao Visa, 1000 for travel)

Edited by tonray

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

Do you have a breakdown of how many hours per day/days per week you must study? I also want to head down the same route. I can speak quite a bit of Thai but cannot read and write. A long term stay to learn is my goal, though I don't like the sound of the unnecessary 30 day at 1900 baht extensions.

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

Do you have a breakdown of how many hours per day/days per week you must study? I also want to head down the same route. I can speak quite a bit of Thai but cannot read and write. A long term stay to learn is my goal, though I don't like the sound of the unnecessary 30 day at 1900 baht extensions.

The official Ministry of Education requirement is 8 hours classroom study per week in an MOE approved school.

In some parts of the country namely Chiang Mai, they raised it to 10 hours.

If you dont want to do extensions get a multiple entries.

Multiple entry Ed visas are not obtainable within the Region.

says who?

Why not just tell members where, in the Region, a multi entry Ed visa is available if you believe I have posted inaccurate information.

Edited by oncearugge

In some parts of the country namely Chiang Mai, they raised it to 10 hours.

If you dont want to do extensions get a multiple entries.

Multiple entry Ed visas are not obtainable within the Region.

says who?

Why not just tell members where, in the Region, a multi entry Ed visa is available if you believe I have posted inaccurate information.

Because that would close yet another loophole, and I have been reproached to do so previously.

People who want info can PM me

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

That includes visa for loas and visa for Thailand

With the double I worked it out and I think I could have saved about 800b if i did it myself, this way it is nice and easy

17,000 + 17000 +

(1900 x 4)

post-66997-0-95130000-1446885050_thumb.j

Sorry it was for 6 months not one year so a lot more then I thought

Edited by ubonjoe
resized immage to fit page

I have a friend who wishes to do this course http://www.thongsookinternational.com/ba-tesol.html and obtain an ED visa to study. The studying is the 3 months of the year when the schools are on holiday, he currently works as a teacher in BKK, no degree, no work permit, no Non B, currently on triple entry tourist visa that expires end of January 2016.

Is this a good idea to become legal to teach in Thailand?

Edited by tribalfusion001

Best your friend checks that this "degree" meets the requirements of the Thai Teaching council.

Without the Councils approval there will be no "B" visa or work permit.

It would seem that as the course takes three years to complete even if your friend manages to resolve the visa issues he will still be working illegally.

• Like 1

Best your friend checks that this "degree" meets the requirements of the Thai Teaching council.

It would seem that as the course takes three years to complete even if your friend manages to resolve the visa issues he will still be working illegally.

Yes, he will still be working illegally. Someone said of here last night to get a multiple entry ED visa, not single, but they are harder to obtain?

I don't know why I'm bothering to ask questions about his status, lazy sod should be doing it himself 555

Yes, he will still be working illegally. Someone said of here last night to get a multiple entry ED visa, not single, but they are harder to obtain?

I don't know why I'm bothering to ask questions about his status, lazy sod should be doing it himself 555

Multi entry ED visas cannot be obtained within the Region.

It is also illegal to work whilst on an ED visa.

Multi entry ED visas cannot be obtained within the Region.

It is also illegal to work whilst on an ED visa.

I know it's illegal, but he is early 30's with a Thai girlfriend and doesn't want to go home. Does the UK do multiple entry ED?