BMA Ready To Issue Smart ID Cards

Jai Dee

BMA ready to issue Smart ID Cards

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA) stated that it is ready to give out the smart I.D. card again after suspending it because of the lack of stocks available. Mr. Yodsak Khongmak (นายยศศักดิ์ คงมาก), Director of the Division of Identification Card from the BMA, said that the current situations at major areas including Jatujak, Bangkapi, Bangkhen, Bangkhuntian and Prakanong is back to normal as the BMA is able to attain more cards now.

Magnetic cards are still in use but for the smart card, Bangkok has to wait for the Ministry of ICT as it is the one producing the cards.

Mr. Yodsak also mentioned about the budget for I.D. cards for the next year, which he believes will not exceed this October.

The BMA has also asked people whose ID cards have expired to keep their old cards for another 60 days before applying for replacements.

People who need ID cards for financial transactions will be given temporary copies.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 October 2006

Got mine. About as useful as the old one. It'd be more helpful if the banks -probably the place where your id card is most commonly used- actually caught up with the gov't (amusing that they are actually one step ahead for once) in terms of technology by replacing the 'signature examination under UV light' *system* with a simple fingerprint scanner like they have at all amphurs issuing the new id cards. It'd probably be better for their business in terms of time savings and fraud reduction as well.

:o