Visa consulate interrogation

Hi all,

i'll be applying for a new Thai Tourist visa in the Royal Thai emabssy of Switzerland. Since i have 4 single thai tourist visa in my passport for the last 12 months, i'm expecting the consulate officer to ask me why do i travel so often to Thailand as he did with other applicants. What would you advise me to answer the officer? (i genuinely don't work in Thailand).

Edited by galolo

Unfortunately, i won't be able to go to another consulate than Bern's. Due to personal reasons, I'm writing my memories in Thailand (because i find inspiration here) and on top of that, i have many friends established in the country. But i don't wanna tell them that, i'm not they'll understand the meaning of it.

well based on my experience I would not go to the Zurich consulate. But maybe it was just me. I tried to obtain a single entry tourist visa last July from the Zurich consulate and was refused. I had all papers prepared, including flight documents in/out country etc but the lady wouldn't even look at it. She looked at my passport and saw I had many exempt entry stamps (although never a tourist visa before) and she determined that I'm not a tourist. She explained to me that a tourist would be someone that works in Switzerland and maybe spends 1-2 weeks in Thailand on holiday and then returns. I tried to explain that for a 1-2 week holiday in Thailand you wouldn't need a tourist visa as a Swiss citizen but she wouldn't listen. She said I could try it with their embassy in Bern which I didn't do, simply didn't have the time to travel there to possibly be refused as well. I left it at that and got a tourist visa in Vientiane in Laos.

• Like 1

The part with the bank statement is the easiest one. For people who don't work, the request of the employee paper could be the issue.

Last time i tried to got a 3x Entry but they gave me only 2x Entry. They explained, for 3 x Entry i would need to show my Thai Bank Account Book with enough funds. I hadn't the book with me. Now it looks, the money can be on a account in the home country. It's even better since i don't want have too much cash in Thailand. They ask for 200 000 Baht? No problem, not at all. Will they give me a METV, even without a job? Nobody knows.

Edited by alocacoc

Unfortunately, i won't be able to go to another consulate than Bern's. Due to personal reasons, I'm writing my memories in Thailand (because i find inspiration here) and on top of that, i have many friends established in the country. But i don't wanna tell them that, i'm not they'll understand the meaning of it.

Just asking out of curiosity, Switzerland is arguably the most beautiful country on earth, how come you will find your inspiration in Thailand, which apparantly no way near the same class as Switzerland in case of natural beauty ) and not there?

The part with the bank statement is the easiest one. For people who don't work, the request of the employee paper could be the issue.

Last time i tried to got a 3x Entry but they gave me only 2x Entry. They explained, for 3 x Entry i would need to show my Thai Bank Account Book with enough funds. I hadn't the book with me. Now it looks, the money can be on a account in the home country. It's even better since i don't want have too much cash in Thailand. They ask for 200 000 Baht? No problem, not at all. Will they give me a METV, even without a job? Nobody knows.

It is not customary for a tourist to have bank accounts in the countries to which he travels.

I have never had to show evidence of funds with an application for a tourist. For the currently available tourist visa, the most a consulate can ask for is evidence of the equivalent of 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family, regardless whether the visa is valid for one, two or three entries: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

It is not customary for a tourist to have bank accounts in the countries to which he travels.

I know. But it was that way.

I have never had to show evidence of funds with an application for a tourist. For the currently available tourist visa, the most a consulate can ask for is evidence of the equivalent of 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family, regardless whether the visa is valid for one, two or three entries: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

At least on nearby Consulate has asked for evidence of adequate funding being available beyond the 20K but only in respect of repeated applications for back to back tourist visas. Evidence of income derived from overseas helps remove any suspicion of the tourist visa being used as a means of indulging in illegal work.

Just asking out of curiosity, Switzerland is arguably the most beautiful country on earth, how come you will find your inspiration in Thailand, which apparantly no way near the same class as Switzerland in case of natural beauty ) and not there?

"I'm writing my memories in Thailand (because i find inspiration here)"

""Switzerland is arguably the most beautiful country on earth, how come you will find your inspiration in Thailand, which apparantly no way near the same class as Switzerland in case of natural beauty ) and not there?""

Maybe -galolo- finds his inspirations in the night and the natural beauty of Switzerland in the night,

is no way near the same class as Thailands natural nights beauty in some special places! tongue.png

For a 90d tourist Visa, Basel is definitely the choice to go, they are easy, friendly and highly efficient. I got my Non-imm O (90d validity) within 20 from arriving without having to have an appointment.

Not sure about "interrogation" aka interview, I was there with a guy applying for his 10th tourist Visa, he got it within minutes same as me. Might however depend on the number and frequency of your previous Visa

Bern would be your only choice for a non-imm-oa (1 year), as the consulates in Zurich and Basel are not allowed to hand them out, they would need approval from Bern anyway, as far as I know.

Why can you not make it to Basel? Once in Bern, take the 08:04 ICE to Basel, arrive 08;59, 5 min walk (or take any of 3 trams) down to the Embassy, out in 30 minutes, back to train station and you can make lunch in Bern without losing a single drop of sweat...

• Like 1

My question to the OP is who is going to be asking these questions ?

A Thai Foreign Service Officer or a local (Swiss) hire clerk

If the latter demand to speak to a Thai since one of the functions of consular services is to encourage foreign tourism, and certainly Swiss citizens must be the quality type that TAT say's they want

I was asked in NZ what i do in Thailand , I said drink with friends.

They said what's their names , I said I can't remember.

• Like 1