Toyota Camry 2013, disabling the annoying reverse bleep-bleep buzzer

smallbear

The subject more or less explains what I want really. The standard model without reverse sensors, has this annoying and constant bleep-bleep-bleep buzzer sound when reversing the car. In the USA, it appears that the dealer can disable it. I asked at the Toyota dealership here and got the usual silly reply, that it's for safety and they cannot.

It's the second Camry I've owned and after the first, I decided I'd never buy another, because of some of the stupid features that appear to be designed for incompetents and its poor quality ride, but, long story, I find myself with another Camry, and rather regretting it.

Hope someone can help because it's driving me nuts!

Find the bleeper box open it up and pack it with black under bonnet sponge that's what i did on a Toyota but it was for the Ign key/lights on the bleep is still there but very muffled and in the background which i find OK not ear splitting in your face.

Edited by kartman

Don't ask an official Toyota dealer to disable a (security) feature!

Find a small oily workshop and they will find the wire to cut.

Anyway I am astonished that this feature is a significant problem for a personal car.

How often do you drive backward?

I was annoyed by some excavator on a nearby construction site.

But this bloody machine was driven back and forth all the time.

Crazy loud beeper.

And that was not in Thailand.

My Mazda beeps on open door and safety belt not locked (driver site).

I never had the idea that I need a wire cutter.

I have a Tuna that allows you to switch off the beep thing. As I have a reversing camera left it off.

Fatal I reversed out of a Hotel car park didn't bother to look at camera. There was a small wall round a flower bed you've guessed it, clumped the rear not a lot of damage but there all the same.

Now the Beep Beep is on permanently suggest you leave well alone. How often are you going backwards anyway.

I have a Tuna that allows you to switch off the beep thing. As I have a reversing camera left it off.

Fatal I reversed out of a Hotel car park didn't bother to look at camera. There was a small wall round a flower bed you've guessed it, clumped the rear not a lot of damage but there all the same.

Now the Beep Beep is on permanently suggest you leave well alone. How often are you going backwards anyway.

I done the same in mine when I managed to turn the warning off by accident, now it stays on.

I opt for switching it off on the Tuna, for the reason that I've other cars that don't have the sensor beepers and therefore I don't get into the habit of relying on hearing the bleep. Of course this was only decided after having reversed one of the other cars into a post.

I opt for switching it off on the Tuna, for the reason that I've other cars that don't have the sensor beepers and therefore I don't get into the habit of relying on hearing the bleep. Of course this was only decided after having reversed one of the other cars into a post.

Tuna,???keyboard malfunction rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

sad.png The flower garden did not jump out of the way???? Oh sorry ... it is used to waiting for the beep thing !

cheesy.gif

The reversing noise is a safety feature for adults behind your vehicle. An absolute essential in the workshop of a busy heavy equipment mine site I used to work in. Does not work for children and crawling babies. So walk around the car before you reverse, tell everyone that is in the vicinity that you are reversing And calm down, take a big breathe and know that you are contributing to safety. Learn to feel good about it.

Surely a Thai mechanic must know how to do this, the same one that disables all the rear lights on most vehicles as they are superfluous.

I am quite certain that also disabling the buckle-up beeper is a must for Thai drivers.

Who needs safety belts wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

By way of clarification, the bleep is an internal sounder, hidden deep behind the dashboard and exists primarily for the driver's irritation, not an external sounder and not therefore a safety risk as some have suggested. It is, aparently, to warn the driver that he or she is in reverse gear. This feature is deemed necessary for the Thai market - Toyota does not appear to provide this in certain other markets and for those in which it does, it appears that the feature can be disabled using the Toyota Intellent Tester, though contrary to what I was informed at the dealership.

Kartman's reply correctly identified this - glad you were able to think outside the box Kartman, thanks. In actual fact, the buzzer is very difficult to reach and I don't imagine for one moment it's a task which is as straightforward as it might have been on an older vehicle.

I was looking for any first-hand owner's experience, in which Toyota agreed to change the settings to the owner's preference - there are many settings incidentally and the US market has a guidebook for owners to request the dealership to modify their preferences. Presumably there are no first-hand experiences, but thanks anyway.