Keeping score. How to measure your success as a Thai expat

Gecko123

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. How much money is in the bank is the first line measures of success in Post #1

B. You seem to always bring up that I 'pay" someone to be with me as if that is the only reason she would be with me.

C. I'm not upset -- dealing with guys like you is Sunday afternoon sport as you seem to have comments about me but, other than that you like to make comments about me, I don't know that I make comments about you other than that for some perverse reason you like to make comments about me.

and D. I not answering any of your questions.

I don't care if a

man pays a younger

woman to be with

him or not but I

do find it amusing

that some of them

think it qualifies

as a measure of

your 'success'.

As if to suggest

it's beyond the

means of the

majority of men

who find it

necessary to do so

What you say is 'necessary' I say is desirable.

Not the first time

I've heard people

describe their only

option as their most

desired one

Happiness is seeing my 3 young nieces growing up,

their dad left them at a young age and my sister and

my elderly mother to raise them, so knowing that there

is a pile of money somewhere for them should they

ever need it and knowing they are financially secure

is all i need, as for the other stuff, been there, done

that, got the T shirt, now i move on.

Maybe like my Dad I think that happiness is related to the fewness of my needs not ther notches on my belt or the thought that i maybe just a tad too materialistic

But in a materialistic world where you need some dosh to exist maybe just being able to survive counts towards your contentment and happiness

The last time I measured anything it was about 8.5 inches and as long as they keep saying so strong,so strong and at 69 I do not take ANY medication I am very very happy.

Some may say I am being facetious,call it what you will but I think it puts into perspective the meaningless of the original question, so my advice for what it is worth is this.

Do not waste your life measuring your success or failure if what you do makes you happy, enjoy it you are a success.

If what you are doing is not making you happy it is a failure, so stand back look at it in the round and change it.

Come on fellas you live in a good country albeit with a few problems, don't think it is different any where else Britain,America, Europe they all have there problems.

You live in a good climate,living costs are low,it is possible to find a good woman amongst the scammers and if you lean towards the ladyboys then I presume it is possible to find a good one there also.

Most of you have found someone who is good to you so just enjoy,enjoy,enjoy. Measurements are for wood workers or engineers or others of that ilk

A lot of vague references to happiness but no real attempt to explain what that means other than to say it has nothing to do with the list in the OP. I don't find that very convincing.

Happiness cannot be travelled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.

Happiness is being content with who you are, what you are, not how much you have, but how much you enjoy, to love and be loved.

Happiness is to give and receive, to take care and be taken care of. It is not that you seize happiness, but that happiness seizes you.
Life gives you the right to pursue happiness, but you have to catch it yourself.

Its a simple formula...

(The size of your john thomas * the # of times you get to use it * the quantity of bar girls * the quality of bar girls) / (the amt you have to spend * the amt you must pay for various useless relatives * the number of "brothers" she has) - (the number of times you've been done for money * the number of houses you have lost) + daily alcohol consumption to forget all of the above.

QED

A lot of vague references to happiness but no real attempt to explain what that means other than to say it has nothing to do with the list in the OP. I don't find that very convincing.

Happiness cannot be travelled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.

Happiness is being content with who you are, what you are, not how much you have, but how much you enjoy, to love and be loved.

Happiness is to give and receive, to take care and be taken care of. It is not that you seize happiness, but that happiness seizes you.
Life gives you the right to pursue happiness, but you have to catch it yourself.

So which is it, you can’t seize happiness, happiness seizes you or you have to catch it yourself? Sounds a little contradictory to me.
If you can travel somewhere beautiful, stay somewhere nice, wear nice clothes and eat amazing food with someone you love deeply and who loves you equally, doesn’t that contribute to ones happiness and give you more to enjoy?
Are we to assume that only those with less are to be blessed with happiness?
Edited by villagefarang

By no longer needing to base any decision on finances.

I think this comes pretty close, but I think moving here from any country gives you a chance to re evaluate your life and the things that are important. From that perspective the experience has been a success. List don't settle anything. If I was younger and single I would have different aims if I was older different priorities.

Personally I am happiest when I have had a mild sensation of the Scotish amber nectar but then again being a realist I supppose that when in this alchololic euphoria I am not in a sensible or logical state of mind

I judge my success by how many children I father.

Current score,

4 in the UK.

1 in Thailand.

Currently looking for more success in Thailand.

Not worried about money, I have enough.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

No we all don't FYI. Genius

However, if there is going to be a measuring stick, anywhere on Earth, Did I wake up today a better man than I was yesterday?

What can I do to help you today Good Lord.

Lose the Temporal attitude. It will work wonders for you.

The word man isn't just designet for the male of the species. So few which actually post on TV. Men that is. The last mention of men is designed for the male of the species. The civilized and unselfish among us.

Edited by nithisa78

Odd measuring stick.

However, if there is going to be a measuring stick, anywhere on Earth, Did I wake up today a better man than I was yesterday?

What can I do to help you today Good Lord.

The word man isn't just designet for the male of the species. So few which actually post on TV. Men that is. The last mention of men is designed for the male of the species. The civilized and unselfish among us.

Peace of mind is worth more than all those things and health is up there with peace of mind! Wisdom is the fruit of a life well lived and is more valuable than money because if you are wealthy you can loose your wealth but if you are wise you can always get some money.Success is to know yourself. Its a fake world you live in if you had to buy everything that makes you happy.

Success as an expat.

We all have a different measure.. Mine is getting smash out of your mind driving your expensive car home with 2 hookers in tow.. Smashing the car into your expensive house...getting freaky with the 2 girls.. Without waking your wife up (in the same room bonus points)..still make it to work the next day... Pull that off you are a successful expat.

Edited by wow64

Nice List -- They Are Important Things.

But To Me -- Respect & Love.

I am happy and proud that people and family respect me. I will take my respect to the grave.

I am happy that people love me - tell me they love me -- my son says "I Love You, Dad" and I love to show my love to others too.

I will take my love for others and the love they've give me to my grave.

The rest is are just "life's accessories".

People really think about this? Honestly it has never even crossed my mind.

Reading the OP, Its almost like the level of success that some feel they have is based on a comparison to others.

Edited by JAFO

If I say hi to less than one backpacker per month..

If I look at less than two ex-pats per week..

If I pay less than one bar fine per day...

If I spend more than 100 baht per hour..

If I get a like per minute...

coffee1.gif

Edited by puukao