sending packages via post in Chiang Mai?

jpgirl

I understand a few months ago some changes happened to postage rules for packages. That you need to show passport/ID for packages over 2kg?

I just wanted to confirm with those in Chiang Mai its OK without ID to send packages under 2kg.

Apologies if this belongs in another forum, but mostly inteterestd to hear from folks in Chiang Mai.

Not sure I can help but I sent a gift package (box) which probably was 1-2 pounds (under 2kg) a few weeks ago to the US through the Chiangmai post office (Kad Suan Kaew branch) and I wasn't asked for anything other than the approximately 300 baht for the mailing cost. What surprised me is that I wasn't asked for nor provided any customs form which I've always had to provide when mailing packages before (the form lists sender's and receiver's name and address, description of goods in the box, and estimated value). I've never had to show any ID to mail a package here (but everything I've ever mailed from here was probably under 2kg).

Thankyou for feedback!

I should perhaps clarify - I have an online webshop and will soon come to Chiang Mai for 1 month break.

Debating whether to suspend my shop while away. What I sell is very small products so other option is to bring some stock along with me and keep my business operating while on holiday. As I am in beginning of the venture, would rather not suspend things in terms of customer service.

Know that 'digital nomad' activities could potentially be a problem and is a kind of grey area. I don't want to break rules while I am in Thailand and would rather prevent paper trail for potential problems in this regard.

Make sure that you send things through a 'real' post office rather than the contract shops, Kad Suan Kaew being an example. Less chance of light fingers being applied to your parcels.

Huh? Please tell us how you know/think that the postal branch office at Kad Suan Kaew is not a "real" postal branch office.

re

Huh? Please tell us how you know/think that the postal branch office at Kad Suan Kaew is not a "real" postal branch office.

the real thai post office in ksk basement closed about two years ago

i think what you are using is the por lor shop ( or something like that )

which is an agent like dhl and has branches in ksk , maya mall , central festival , tesco ,big c etc

dave2

ps ... thai post offices are painted red and white

agents are not !

post-42592-0-74502600-1447041557_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

re

which is an agent like dhl and has branches in ksk , maya mall , central festival , tesco ,big c etc

dave2

agents are not !

You're right, Dave, the "real" Thai post office in the basement (the one unfortunately situated way to close to the karaoke machines!) closed early last year; however, they just moved the office (which, I suspect, that neither you or the other poster has ever visited). Anyway, I happened to go buy a few stamps this morning and, just for your benefit, took a photo of the outside of the "real" post office. Here it be (and hopefully there's enough red and white there for you....):

post-26519-0-83250400-1447044639_thumb.j

Actually, it's now located at the north end of the Lotus hotel building....and you reach it by going out the door at the back of KSK after you go up the steps to the food vendors (or out the back door by the artists).

Make sure that you send things through a 'real' post office rather than the contract shops, Kad Suan Kaew being an example. Less chance of light fingers being applied to your parcels.

Wrong! KSK is a real Post Office and has been for years now. The franchise P.O. closed years ago.

re

dave2

agents are not !

Actually dave2 that is not entirely correct. People who buy franchises from Thai Post have the absolute right to paint the shop exactly like a real Post Office, wear Thai Post uniforms, display the logo and so forth. However the new Post Office at KSK which opened 2 years ago is a real Post Office. What is NOT a Post Office (and looks EXACTLY like one!) is the agent outside of Central Festival between the Doi Saket road and Kaew Narawat.