Thousands rally in Madrid against domestic violence

webfact

Thousands rally in Madrid against domestic violence

606x341_316681.jpg

MADRID: -- Some 21,00 people gathered in Madrid on Saturday to demonstrate against domestic violence.

Members of hundreds of women’s groups from across Spain traveled to the capital to take part.

Forty-one women have died at the hands of their partners or ex-partners so far this year, according to Spanish government data. Only seven of the victims had complained before.

Taking part in the demonstration, former victim Olga Aranza said: “I think it’s important that people like me demonstrate today, because I’m an example of a woman who’s been able to get out of domestic violence.

“And that means that all abused women can also get out violence and that they deserve a better life. You really can get out.”

“I think it’s essential that we men also take part here in this demonstration, so that we send a clear message to women, telling them that they are not alone in this struggle,” said demonstrator Miguel Navarro.

Spain is seen as a pioneer in Europe on legislation to combat violence against women.

A 2004 law introduced an emergency phone number that doesn’t appear on the telephone bill – as well as free legal assistance and accommodation for abused women.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-09

A sign of the times. Women demonstrating against domestic violence, with men marching along with them to show their support.

Nobody begrudges these senoras and senoritas, or their equivalents elsewhere who have been abused, the right to protest at ill treatment by their male partners. But often the boot thudding into the ribs is on the other foot - the one with the coral-painted toenails - and nobody seems to give a damn. Certainly not women, anyway.

According to a Guardian newspaper report I read, up to 40 per cent of domestic violence victims in the UK are men. I doubt the figure is much different for Spain, as we all know what the Latin temperament is like. Yet few Western nations offer men rape crisis centres, safe houses, counselling, etc or in any way take their plight seriously.

We are certainly not being deafened by militant feminists beating the drum and marching on their behalf.

Imagine, for a moment, the predictable public and and media reaction if a bunch of men marched on to Westminister to complain that their wives or girlfriends had been giving them a hard time.

The so-called women's movement has a lot to answer for in continuing to widen the differences between the sexes. This divisive and short-sighted strategy has been a gift to the ruling classes, enabling them to divert public attention from massive political and economic failings by playing men and women off against each other in a non-stop media circus.

We are constantly being told we live in a "rape culture" and as a man I know this to be true. No, I am not talking about the small minority of men - and women - who commit the declining number of sexual offences we classify as rape. I mean the rape of all OF US, around the clock, by greedy corporations, corrupt banks and venal politicians.

The sooner we wake up to this reality and stop fighting phony and futile "battles of the sexes" which serve only to keep us divided and easily ruled, the sooner we will have the better, more equal society we all crave.

Edited by Krataiboy