Thai Cabinet to consider declaring Dec 11 a public holiday

webfact

Why choose a Friday in the first place? 5th or 6th would have been perfect, the King's actual birthday weekend and days when kids aren't at school, many people aren't at work and the traffic isn't going to be interrupted so badly..

The lack of logic in this country does make me despair sometimes.

The authorities know that the weekend of the King's birthday many Thais will go home to the provinces to see their own fathers.

Bangkok will be quiet that weekend so it's not a good idea to hold the Bike for Dad event then. Very logical.

But a working Friday?

Yes, because people will be in the capital and will just take a leave day at work and go cycle so there will be higher numbers at the event which will show how much people love Dad. On the long weekend, however, people will go see their REAL fathers whom they actually love more.

I

People only give a crap because of a possible alcohol ban. Otherwise how is this bad news? Do people complain when they get holidays back home?

Unless they are daily wage labourers, one can buy it the previous evening?

Yes, that is true. However have you not ever seen the length of threads when alcohol is banned for one day?

Why choose a Friday in the first place? 5th or 6th would have been perfect, the King's actual birthday weekend and days when kids aren't at school, many people aren't at work and the traffic isn't going to be interrupted so badly..

The lack of logic in this country does make me despair sometimes.

The authorities know that the weekend of the King's birthday many Thais will go home to the provinces to see their own fathers.

Bangkok will be quiet that weekend so it's not a good idea to hold the Bike for Dad event then. Very logical.

But a working Friday?
Yes, because people will be in the capital and will just take a leave day at work and go cycle so there will be higher numbers at the event which will show how much people love Dad. On the long weekend, however, people will go see their REAL fathers whom they actually love more.

I

Better delete your post my friend.

You might have thought that this up coming extra holidays might have been conceived at the begining of the year when we got our list of holidays for the diary, but, then again maybe not. We can take it that maybe there was not much on the Agenda when this was brought up in AOB and "Ive just seen a very cheap, sorry inexpensive holiday offer from the 4th to the 15th December chums only I have used up all my holiday entitlement, can anyone help me out?" "There are still some seats left if anyone is interested!"

Edited by nong38

Might as well just make all of December a public holiday........

You do understand that it means all of December is a BAR CLOSED and supermarkets prohibited to sell alcohol.

Well except for the coppers bars and my FamilyMart

It is not my experience that all public holidays entail bar closures and a ban on alcohol sales.

Otherwise how would all the drivers get by.

Can you imagine being a location scout for an International Company and trying to explain that if you open a plant in Thailand you might be closed for X number of days per year for public holidays but you can't pre schedule those holidays because the government will change the calendar whenever they want

Or your plant may be under water due to poor flood management

Or you may suddenly have to pay duty on goods imported to make your products

Or you must have 51% Thais telling you what to do

Business needs stability and how you can sell that in Thailand is a mystery to me

I see a lot of people moaning about how many holidays Thai people have but I think that you will find it is many days fewer than in the UK. Thai people do not have anywhere near the same amount of annual leave that I had in the UK which is at least 4 weeks paid leave plus the 8 bank holidays