Changing THB into VND

Cuchulainn

Hi all

I'm off to Vietnam soon and would like to know whether to change my THB into US$ first in BKK airport then into VND at Hanoi airport, or straight from THB into VND at Hanoi airport? I'm only talking about B10 - 15,000.

Thank you for any help.

Beware of the money changers at the airport. Some of them give a MUCH worse rate than the banks. There are lots of ATM machines in town. Also, beware of the taxi hustlers. Get a taxi from the regular taxi stand. In town, you can hire pedicabs by the hour. It's a convenient way to slowly get around. It's a long way to Ha Long Bay and the bus ride is tiring. Better to hire a private car if you can afford it.

Go to super rich : http://www.superrich1965.com/

download their application on ur mobile device, they offer the best rates whether to buy or to sell,

My advise, just get VT currency directly from THB, 'coz if you will change USD, then again to VT when you are at Hanoi, there will be double margin profit lost to money exchanger, so make it one transaction, and when you come back to Bkk, change the left notes into THB,,

Good luck,

Edited by momtaz

I am just back from Vietnam.

I changed some Baht at the airport because I wanted some local currency on arrival (not necessary).

I got a rate that was 10% better when I changed some more money at a street exchange shop.

One word of advice - when you go through immigration make sure you have the paperwork handy for your return flight, they will ask to see it.

I didn't have mine as 3 of us were traveling and we went through different immigration lines. The officious little shyt told me to go and get a visa if I didn't have details of my return flight.

Not a major issue, I just wasted 20 mins of my life in an immigration queue.

So, a friend of mine and I are off in early December for 2 weeks in VN. I have a few money related questions:

Other than the VOA fee at the airport which is payable in US$, how useful/accepted are US$ (small bills only) when traveling in VN?

I see references to ATMs being available. What currency do they dispense? I am assuming VN dong but I ask because the ones in Cambodia dispense US$.

Are the Vietnamese as prissy about the condition of UD$ as the Cambodians are?

Thanks for the information.

David

• 3 months later...

I got Dollars at Don Muang exchange before leaving as I knew usd is accepted in vn. Unlike Cambodia though their local currency is preferred no dispensed from the ATM's. I was getting worried because my US debit and Bangkok bank cards were getting refused and being Tet the banks were closed. I finally tried an HSBC ATM terminal and that worked with my US bank debit card. Didn't try the Bangkok card.

• 3 weeks later...

I am just back from Vietnam.

I changed some Baht at the airport because I wanted some local currency on arrival (not necessary).

I got a rate that was 10% better when I changed some more money at a street exchange shop.

One word of advice - when you go through immigration make sure you have the paperwork handy for your return flight, they will ask to see it.

I didn't have mine as 3 of us were traveling and we went through different immigration lines. The officious little shyt told me to go and get a visa if I didn't have details of my return flight.

Not a major issue, I just wasted 20 mins of my life in an immigration queue.

The officious little shyt told me to go and get a visa if I didn't have details of my return flight.

Don't you need a visa for Vietnam anyway?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Avoid Bangkok Bank in Hanoi to change Thai Baht into Dong.

Bangkok Bank in Hanoi offered me for 10 000 Baht an exchange rate of 0.56.

Exchange shops in the old quarter 0.62.

Gold shops are the best to echange Baht,USD, Yuan, European, whatever for Dong and vice-versa.

The gold shops are also faster.