Sky lanterns and fireworks will be banned in Bangkok in wake of aviation safety concern and fires

webfact

Sky lanterns and fireworks will be banned in Bangkok in wake of aviation safety concern and fires

211-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The decision to ban sale of sky lanterns and fireworks was made at the meeting of concerned government agencies and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday.

The meeting, chaired by Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra, was called as the Loy Krathong festival which saw fireworks were often played and sky lanterns were floated into the air previously is coming close on November 25.

Apart from reaching the sale ban of fireworks and sky lanterns, all relevant authorities agreed to set up joint administrative centres to oversee security procedures and provide convenience for revellers.

Rescue and medical boats will patrol along the Chao Phraya river and ready to respond to unexpected incidents, while road checkpoints will be set up to check drunk driving and speeding to ensure road safety for motorists and revellers celebrating the festival.

The BMA will arrange six major Loy Krathong venues for celebrants in the city which included Klong Phadung Krung Kasem beside Government House which has turned a new festival area.

Five other festival venues are Rama 8 Bridge, Rama 9 Bridge, Lumpini Park, Nawaminpirom Park. and Santi Chaiprakarn Park.

Meanwhile Chiang Mai authorities have also banned the release of sky lanterns in five districts during the Yee Peng festival on November 24, as the activity poses a risk to aircraft.

But they are free to do so on November 25 and on December 31 to mark the Loy Krathong and New Year Eve celebrations since flights are being rescheduled to accommodate the activity on those days.

The lantern release is the mainstay of the Yee Peng annual festival held to celebrate the full moon in the northern capital, preceding Loy Krathong by one day in November.

The areas subject to the ban are Muang district; Hang Dong district; Nong Harn sub-district of San Sai district; Muang Kaew, Don Kaew, Rim Tai and Mai Sa sub-districts of Mae Rim district; and Nong Pueng, Kuew Mung, Dong Kaew, San Sai and Ta Wang Tan sub-districts of Saraphi district.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sky-lanterns-and-fireworks-will-be-banned-in-bangkok-in-wake-of-aviation-safety-concern-and-fires

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-10

See, this is why the whole 'mai bpen rai' deal has got to stop.

We can't have half assed rules, either ban and STRICTLY ENFORCE all laws, or don't bother at all.

Wait until these lackadaisical retards lack of complete enforcement brings down a fuel loaded A380 on a Bangkok suburb, then see what happens...

By 'complete enforcement' I mean to ban public access to fireworks and lanterns.

A licensed private company deals with pyrotechnics in Sydney NYE and they are the ONLY ones with fireworks in Sydney. Everyone has a great show and nobody dies from a rocket in the face.

Thailand, you gotta STOP selling pyrotechnics to idiot punters, period.

"Wait until these lackadaisical retards lack of complete enforcement brings down a fuel loaded A380 on a Bangkok suburb, then see what happens..."

I don't think a Sky Lantern would bring down an A380! They test those engines by firing frozen chickens at them at speed! I would be more worried by Drones flying around and being digested and that happens everywhere!

We can't have half assed rules, either ban and STRICTLY ENFORCE all laws, or don't bother at all.

Wait until these lackadaisical retards lack of complete enforcement brings down a fuel loaded A380 on a Bangkok suburb, then see what happens...

By 'complete enforcement' I mean to ban public access to fireworks and lanterns.

A licensed private company deals with pyrotechnics in Sydney NYE and they are the ONLY ones with fireworks in Sydney. Everyone has a great show and nobody dies from a rocket in the face.

Ever heard of hyperbole and overkill?

.......They test those engines by firing frozen chickens at them at speed! I would be more worried by Drones flying around and being digested and that happens everywhere!

So, you think that an electric drone quadcopter would do more damage than a frozen chicken? The chickens used to test engines a defrosted before use since very few frozen solid birds are encountered during aircraft operation just regular warm-blooded species. A frozen bird would do catastrophic damage to a fan engine whereas most warm-blooded strikes are contained. A quadcopter by virtue of its rigid construction would cause more damage. As to non-fan engine types in military jets.......eject, eject, eject!

"Wait until these lackadaisical retards lack of complete enforcement brings down a fuel loaded A380 on a Bangkok suburb, then see what happens..."

I don't think a Sky Lantern would bring down an A380! They test those engines by firing frozen chickens at them at speed! I would be more worried by Drones flying around and being digested and that happens everywhere!

lol, quite right but the frozen part is a bit of a myth. Actually I think mythbusters tried it and at those speeds, frozen or not didn;t make much difference.

A lantern will never bring down an A380. But a large carbon fibre UAV with brushless motors can certainly take out an engine or maybe even get through a windscreen.

.......They test those engines by firing frozen chickens at them at speed! I would be more worried by Drones flying around and being digested and that happens everywhere!

So, you think that an electric drone quadcopter would do more damage than a frozen chicken? The chickens used to test engines a defrosted before use since very few frozen solid birds are encountered during aircraft operation just regular warm-blooded species. A frozen bird would do catastrophic damage to a fan engine whereas most warm-blooded strikes are contained. A quadcopter by virtue of its rigid construction would cause more damage. As to non-fan engine types in military jets.......eject, eject, eject!

Yeah. Just what I would like to have happen on my flight.

Sorry, but that is not a bird test. That is a blade failure test, A380 engine test. One blade is disconnected using explosive bolts at the base of the blade to test containment of the fragments from penetrating the wall. Can't trust YouTube titles anymore. biggrin.png

Same video but more accurate title. Turbine engine explodes. And the original test video explaining what they are doing. Airbus A30 Engine Explosion Test.

Sorry, but that is not a bird test. That is a blade failure test, A380 engine test. One blade is disconnected using explosive bolts at the base of the blade to test containment of the fragments from penetrating the wall. Can't trust YouTube titles anymore. biggrin.png

Same video but more accurate title.

. And the original test video explaining what they are doing.

Maybe this one is better. Either way, the expected possible outcome is failure of a blade.

As this is a "Main Tourist Attraction" on many brochures and adverts for coming to Thailand, banning it will only p*ss more people off from coming here. They should just gather up all the rockets and start shooting their feet off for real.

But as all who know about "culture" here - when losing face once a mad decision is made just carry on making a complete ass of your self to drive home the point. Once you blow one toe off you have 9 others to blast into oblivion.

Anyone who had never been to the far east arriving blindfolded here and sat in front of TV after 1800 at night would think they were in North Korea or China during big brothers' real commie time.

My GF told me there would be a blanket ban on fireworks in Pattaya weeks ago.... the locals know well in advance what is coming down the pipe from HQ in BKK.

As already stated who is going to enforce all this ?

Since not even one small aircraft has been downed by a rice paper and bamboo parafin lantern, I think you would be safe enough in a A380.....!!!!

Same video but more accurate title.

. And the original test video explaining what they are doing.

Maybe this one is better. Either way, the expected possible outcome is failure of a blade.

This is the one in detail:

The sky is falling and I want my mummy!

The Nanny-State has officially arrived in Thailand:

Breaking News - Loi Krathong is Now Permanently Banned in Thailand - Highly Dangerous

Up Next - Throwing Water to be Banned during Songkran 2016 - Highly Dangerous

In Today's News:

Thailand Still Kills More People on The Road Than All But One Other Country - No One Cares