Further checks on the troubled Waterfront Development in Pattaya Bay

webfact

Further checks on the troubled Waterfront Development in Pattaya Bay

tower-5.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- On Tuesday a delegation from the National Legislative Assembly were in Pattaya to discuss new applications from the developers of the Waterfront Residence so they can resume construction.

Professor Sanit, Vice Chairman of the Environment and Natural Resources Committee, which is part of the National Legislative Assembly, led the delegation and was told that construction had been halted since 2014, as complaints regarding the impact of the construction on the local environment were raised, despite the development receiving EIA approval, which is required before construction can begin and confirms that the Environmental Impact of constructing the building was evaluated and deemed to be within acceptable parameters.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219039/further-checks-on-the-troubled-waterfront-development-in-pattaya-bay/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-11-11

Should just bulldoze the whole thing into the bay, turf it over and bring back some greenery to the area!!

Interesting idea. Are you going to pay the landowner for the government acquiring his land? The landowner has complied with all the regulations for developing the condo. He's entitled to be paid the value of the land, as developed with the condo that is under construction. Or, did you leave that due process right at the door and are just going to be a communist and steal his land? Maybe you should think about moving to Venezuela, where that policy has been put into practice, and the economic outlook for the country provides evidence of the long-term impact of nationalization of private property.

Should just bulldoze the whole thing into the bay, turf it over and bring back some greenery to the area!!

Interesting idea. Are you going to pay the landowner for the government acquiring his land? The landowner has complied with all the regulations for developing the condo. He's entitled to be paid the value of the land, as developed with the condo that is under construction. Or, did you leave that due process right at the door and are just going to be a communist and steal his land? Maybe you should think about moving to Venezuela, where that policy has been put into practice, and the economic outlook for the country provides evidence of the long-term impact of nationalization of private property.

I think the landowner should be compensated, yes of course. And the responsibility lies with the EIA , who gave the initial approval. PROVIDING no illegal payments were made or other 'illegal' methods to pbtain said approval.

No need to look as far away as Venezuela where misappropriation of land is concerned.

It is very likely there is more to this situation than I can ever be aware of, but one look at that monstrosity in the sky and I can make a quick, negative, decision. And, I too could change my mind if I had a new car.

My understanding regarding this case is that condo exceeded height guidelines, and I would assume landowner knew that. However, when I see sign saying "EIA approved" I do often wonder how fat the brown envelope was that got that stamp of approval.

There are two ways of stealing something. Communists who nationalize and capitalist who privatise companisies that are doing ok , where

government invested a lot ,( risk taken by taxpayers ) and giving away benefits to share holders once risk became lowers.

All this by government infiltration with lobbies. Not that i feel empathy for communism ( which is now largely converted to capitalism ) but i like things to be described in a fair way :)

Going back to the topic , its wise for a city to maintain it good looking , so building a high rise tower just in front of the touristic peer was not the best idea.

And given the country track record ,we may be skeptical about how approvals have been granted. The country can't afford the prejudice of an hugly unfinished tower

because following the capitalist logic , its a prejudic to all other investors around which needs the best image as possible to attrack tourists.

Capitalism does not need communism to be destroyed , it just does it by itself by means of greed...

I am just a little sceptical that the whole approval process was above board. I have read

it is too tall, too, close to the water etc....etc......With the way things seem to work here

a few very thick envelopes change hands and everything is approved. If that is the case

no compensation to the owners would be necessary. Indeed a bill to tear the structure down

would be more appropriate. I just don't know. whistling.gif

Just another official with a bad attitude thru a spanner in the works down at city hall, throwing some bone around.

No need worry about inviromental studies you bafoons Prayut has already canceled the red tape rubbish :)

Listen this assembly may require some "" attitude adjustment """ down at the barracks

Smarten Up !

It's ridiculous this has dragged on for so long--way over a year now. How long does it take to compare approved blueprints to the actual building being built? City Hall originally stopped the construction after a minor protest by a small group that objected to it. Now, after doing nothing for a year, it looks like they have just passed the problem on to someone else. I personally think is it a better-looking building than most being built in Pattaya, although a 40 story height approval would have been better for the site. I hope it will be finished rather than sitting half-finished for the next 10 or 20 years like that awful 'ghost' building in BKK.

A few months ago they were saying only the top penthouse floors were sold. 90% of the condo unsold.

Why would anyone want to proceed when there are so few buyers out there.

Only in Thailand can you proceed with a development without been subject to 'sold off the plan' legislation.

What about hidden costs and maintenance fees ... i wouldnt go near it. Rent is the safest and cheapest way to go.

My understanding regarding this case is that condo exceeded height guidelines, and I would assume landowner knew that. However, when I see sign saying "EIA approved" I do often wonder how fat the brown envelope was that got that stamp of approval.

Brown Envelope??? more likely a G4S lorry...

A few months ago they were saying only the top penthouse floors were sold. 90% of the condo unsold.

Only in Thailand can you proceed with a development without been subject to 'sold off the plan' legislation.

What about hidden costs and maintenance fees ... i wouldnt go near it. Rent is the safest and cheapest way to go.

" i wouldnt go near it. Rent is the safest and cheapest way to go. "

Or at least if anyone is still hellbent on buying a property here “ off the plan “ I haven’t the faintest clue why they would have any interest in dealing with a developer who doesn’t adhere to the Escrow Act in Thailand ( which was introduced specifically to protect the buyer/ consumer.)

If the developer doesn’t agree to be bound to this legislation I consider it’s equivalent to a big flashing sign they need your money to build the project and are therefore under capitalised.

http://www.chiangmai-attorney.com/escrow-in-thailand/

Edited by Asiantravel

30,000bht /month over 20 or 30 years is cheaper way to go? <deleted> you smoking..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

30,000bht /month over 20 or 30 years is cheaper way to go? <deleted> you smoking..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I read cheapest and safest. Do you suffer from word blindness? You are also assuming that the person will be living in the apartment as their main home for twenty or thirty years or will have it constantly rented out to someone else for the periods they are not. A few very large leaps you are taking there.

If they are not living there permanently and it is not being rented out at a price that will cover all costs, that is hardly cost effective. Let's be frank, it's not a particularly desirable place. It's mostly a shoddy mess. Let's put up an "iconic"(their words, not mine) building in a slum and sell it to a bunch of mugs who don't know better. Great idea. :)

The idea failed when the promised marinas and development failed to materialise seven years ago. Anyone who has eaten at a Thai restaurant and has watched their courses arrive randomly will understand my meaning.

How do we know what height the EIA approval was approved for ?

If it was approved for 10 stories and it exceeds that it would seem to me that the EIA approval is no longer valid

Any way, after the fiasco in Jomtien about the view blocking condo on the the beach, I thought that the government passed a law that sea side condos could no longer be higher than 12 stories or did I dream this

Due to the very imprecise way they are drafted most laws and rules in Thailand are a movable feast open to several different interpretations but as I understand it buildings of 8 stories or more have to be:

1) at least 100m from the sea (though amazingly there is no sensible or clear definition of where the sea is)

and

2) on a road at least 7m wide

Someone trying to sell a top-floor unit in a 50+ story Jomtien building told me that the law now prohibited buildings of that height, but I have no idea what law that might be and personally I dont believe a word of it.

I'm pretty sure Wong Amat Tower and The Palm also in Wong Amat are less than 100 Metres from the sea, there was talk of the 52 Storey Mustique Condominium going up that is less than 100m from the sea.

Not sure what is happening with Mustique, as nothing has happened on the Land proposed for the building, the Condo next to that land were protesting, , had banners up, banners are down now, perhaps the project has been stopped, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure Wong Amat Tower and The Palm also in Wong Amat are less than 100 Metres from the sea, there was talk of the 52 Storey Mustique Condominium going up that is less than 100m from the sea.

The distance rule is fairly recent. Prior to that anywhere was fair game. Several examples of buildings that are just yards from the water on Pratumnak and in Na-Jomtien. Fewer in Jomtien itself because nothing can be built on the sea side of Beach Road (apart from police stations smile.png ).