13 died of dengue fever in four lower Isaan provinces this year

webfact

13 died of dengue fever in four lower NE provinces this year

12235662_10153744009718637_1003434203_o-

BANGKOK: -- Over 11,000 people in lower northeastern region were found to be inflicted with dengue fever this year and, of these, 13 of them have died, said Dr Thirawat Walaisathien, director of the 9th diseases prevention office based in Nakhon Ratchasima, on Wednesday.

Nakhon Ratchasim ranks top with the highest number of dengue fever cases numbering 5,621 with nine fatalities followed by Chaiyaphum’s 2,416 cases with one death, Buriram’s 1,384 cases with one death and Surin’s 2,163 cases with two deaths.

Dr Thirawat said that dengue fever prevalent this year with five times more cases than it was one year earlier in the four provinces where only 2,087 cases were reported with one fatality.

He attributed the disease prevalence to higher temperature which led to the widespread of striped mosquitoes.

As a preventive measure, health officials and all tambon administration organizations in the four provinces have been instructed to step up fumigation, especially at schools, to kill the mosquitoes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/13-died-of-dengue-fever-in-four-lower-ne-provinces-this-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-11

Min of Public Health reports 102 dengue fever-related deaths this year

dg.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 November 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has expressed concern over the spread of dengue fever, but affirmed that they have not discovered any new strains of the disease in Thailand.

Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, Deputy Director-General of the Department of Disease Control, revealed that the department’s Bureau of Epidemiology has recorded more than 100,000 dengue fever patients and a total of 102 dengue-related deaths from January 1 to November 2.

Phetchaburi province reportedly had the most dengue fever patients, followed by Rayong, Uthai Thani, and Pranchinburi provinces. Dr. Opart expressed concern for Nakhon Ratchasima province, Chiang Mai province, and Bangkok administrative area, which are expected to see a rising number of patients.

However, the department reported that no new strains have been found, and the four existing strains continue to be transmitted via mosquitoes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-11 footer_n.gif

Let's put thing into perspective. 13 deaths pales in comparison with the number that die each day in those provinces on the roads.

Also, dengue, and its vector Aedes aegypti, are primarily a human-created problem. These mosquitoes live with people. We are their hosts and we provide their breeding habitats via receptacles filled with water left all over the place. Thai knowledge of their breeding habitats is poor at best. Only at the community level can this be addressed - there should be major programs put into place to educate communities about how they can reduce breeding habitats (it can be as simple as leaving a tap dripping in the water or covering the pot to stop breeding. Then there is bti that can be added to stop breeding. You would risk a fine in Singapore if you were found to have aegypti breeding at your premises.

Lower Isaan? Southern Isaan. Or are we taking about the class of people living there?

not so much surin province ' s people are upper class , you know.....

in this case , lower or southern can be a synonym , you know.... wink.png

I don't suppose Mosquito's laden with Dengue Fever bug will be too concerned about your actual location!

Apparently it's unbelievably horrible. I spoke to a bloke who was poleaxed for weeks and then knackered after that. I'd no idea it was this common.

Yes! I have also spoken to the survivors, people struck down with this horrible disease, and sadly had the poor ones been wealthy they might also very well be alive today.

Apparently it's unbelievably horrible. I spoke to a bloke who was poleaxed for weeks and then knackered after that. I'd no idea it was this common.

Yes! I have also spoken to the survivors, people struck down with this horrible disease, and sadly had the poor ones been wealthy they might also very well be alive today.

I had Dengue fever about 20 years ago. The symptoms are back/neck ache and little bloody spots on the skin, as well as high fever and headache at certain times of the day. You certainly know about it, but I would not call it unbelievably horrible.

I was on an expatriate insurance, so money was not an object. Bumrungrad hospital told me it would take around 7-10 days to get a definitive test result, but most likely the disease will be on the way out after that time. They said it was almost certainly dengue fever. I declined the test, because there is no real point in it.

There is no cure however much money you have, but it is very unlikely to be fatal.

There are apparently 4 different types, i got dengue fever two years ago but it was one of the weaker strains but bad enough. I stopped eating for four days, zero appetite and walked around as if i was drunk, when red spots appeared i went to the local doctor who said i had nothing wrong with me, i was dizzy because i was old, i was 65 at that time. I went to a private clinic in Surin who reacted correctly, blood and urine samples were tested in their lab. When the doctor held the results in his hand he tut tuted and shook his head. ''Whats wrong'' i asked somewhat alarmed. ''You have dengue fever and you have left it a little late to come for help,you are going into shock, immediate admission''. I was in hospital for 4 days, every hour day and night blood was taken and a tablet given, some times injections. Upon returning home it took me 3 months to get back to normal. Each time you get dengue fever it is worse than the first time which can then lead to death.

It is important to remember what strain you get. The problems arise when you get it the second or third time from a diffrent strain. If the second infection is from a second strain your immune system thinks it has seen the infection before and can handle it but it cant.

There are apparently 4 different types, i got dengue fever two years ago but it was one of the weaker strains but bad enough. I stopped eating for four days, zero appetite and walked around as if i was drunk, when red spots appeared i went to the local doctor who said i had nothing wrong with me, i was dizzy because i was old, i was 65 at that time. I went to a private clinic in Surin who reacted correctly, blood and urine samples were tested in their lab. When the doctor held the results in his hand he tut tuted and shook his head. ''Whats wrong'' i asked somewhat alarmed. ''You have dengue fever and you have left it a little late to come for help,you are going into shock, immediate admission''. I was in hospital for 4 days, every hour day and night blood was taken and a tablet given, some times injections. Upon returning home it took me 3 months to get back to normal. Each time you get dengue fever it is worse than the first time which can then lead to death.

Yeah, I know a guy who got it twice in Thailand, and he did mention that there were different strains of the virus.

Anyhow, he spent a few days in the hospital the first time, and about 2 weeks in the hospital the 2nd time.

I just got over a mild case of food poisoning (I know that's what it was because after I puked......after being on the verge of death for about 18 hours, I immediately felt better)...anyhow, just being super sick for a day is bad enough.

I couldn't imagine being that way for days or weeks.

There are to my knowledge 4 strains of Dengue. I was so unlucky to run into the worst kind a few years ago. 14 days at home thinking it was a kind of flu, when i finally got my ass to the hospital it was straight to the ICU, the pain in my body from head to toe was unbearable. Only pain killing medicine and salt water was given. The hardest periode was after i got home, Dengue is a sure energy killer. I would say it took up to another 6 months before i got my energy back, this periode was terrible. Fighting to find the power to sit at a table, to get up from the chair and of course problem gettong up from my bed. I was told by doctors that if there was a next time it would probably be worse, this did not happen. Next time only 3-4 days in hospital, and non of that loss of energy <deleted>. I found out by experience and by talking to others that Dengue hit very individual, some people get it and finish in a few weeks and others had experienced it very much like mine. As there is no cure, the best thing is to get in for a blood test 2-3 days in a row, that so the labratory can mesure bacteris in your blood going up or on the way down. If you are badly hit, admit as soon as possible, you will ned a lot of water intravenously, dont think you can beat this alone.

I contacted Dengue fever , there are 4 types , i had the bad one , went to hospital intensive care , put on a drip , 3 days later came out , very scary , you can die easily if you don't get the correct medication . The hospital told me i was then immune to contact that version of Dengue in the future , but not the other strains .

I put this in Google Translate and got the response "language unknown". What planet are you from sir?

verb [ with obj. ] hit, kill, or knock down with or as if with a poleaxe. the tigress had fallen to my bullet as if poleaxed. cause great shock to: I was poleaxed by this revelation.

dictionary works fine...coffee1.gif

Love it when a smart ass gets smart assed.

Fair play to you.

Let's put thing into perspective. 13 deaths pales in comparison with the number that die each day in those provinces on the roads.

Also, dengue, and its vector Aedes aegypti, are primarily a human-created problem. These mosquitoes live with people. We are their hosts and we provide their breeding habitats via receptacles filled with water left all over the place. Thai knowledge of their breeding habitats is poor at best. Only at the community level can this be addressed - there should be major programs put into place to educate communities about how they can reduce breeding habitats (it can be as simple as leaving a tap dripping in the water or covering the pot to stop breeding. Then there is bti that can be added to stop breeding. You would risk a fine in Singapore if you were found to have aegypti breeding at your premises.

I seem to remember that any householder or apartment dweller in Singapore with flower pots containing water, is given a very stiff fine. The mosquito police don't mess around.

Public education is vitally important, and if this is not done, stagnant water is left around in old tyres, even some plants, with the results we're now getting.

I put this in Google Translate and got the response "language unknown". What planet are you from sir?

verb [ with obj. ] hit, kill, or knock down with or as if with a poleaxe. the tigress had fallen to my bullet as if poleaxed.cause great shock to: I was poleaxed by this revelation.

dictionary works fine...coffee1.gif

Forget google! Ask your wife- she claims to know everything.

I used to have an apartment outside Bangkok that was next to a fish farm, which regularly bred swarms of mosquitoes. I was lucky to avoid dengue. At least with malaria there's medicine that can cure it. With most dengue you just have to wait it out and avoid aspirin.

• Time to spend some of the useless military budget on protecting the citizens of Thailand, spend it on health, try and eradicate this desease.

Perhaps you should tell them how to eradicate this disease.

It affects many countries .........

http://phil.cdc.gov/PHIL_Images/08051999/00004/dengue_phf/sld013.htm

Perhaps , after you have informed the Thai Authorities how this disease can be eradicated, you will share your expertise and knowledge with the experts at the World Health Organisation and also those at the Center for Disease Control would love to know how Dengue can be eradicated

http://www.cdc.gov/Dengue/

I had Dengue fever about 20 years ago. The symptoms are back/neck ache and little bloody spots on the skin, as well as high fever and headache at certain times of the day. You certainly know about it, but I would not call it unbelievably horrible.

I was on an expatriate insurance, so money was not an object. Bumrungrad hospital told me it would take around 7-10 days to get a definitive test result, but most likely the disease will be on the way out after that time. They said it was almost certainly dengue fever. I declined the test, because there is no real point in it.

There is no cure however much money you have, but it is very unlikely to be fatal.

Mine was diagnosed in 1 day, also I want to comment that if you get the complex versions it can be unbelievably horrible, it was in my case

Mine was diagnosed in 1 day, also I want to comment that if you get the complex versions it can be unbelievably horrible, it was in my case

Suspect that was a clinical diagnosis supported by the "classic dengue" results of routine blood testing.

Viral identification is rarely undertaken and usually only for epidemiological purposes.

Edited by oncearugge

Min of Public Health reports 102 dengue fever-related deaths this year

dg.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 November 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has expressed concern over the spread of dengue fever, but affirmed that they have not discovered any new strains of the disease in Thailand.

Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, Deputy Director-General of the Department of Disease Control, revealed that the department’s Bureau of Epidemiology has recorded more than 100,000 dengue fever patients and a total of 102 dengue-related deaths from January 1 to November 2.

Phetchaburi province reportedly had the most dengue fever patients, followed by Rayong, Uthai Thani, and Pranchinburi provinces. Dr. Opart expressed concern for Nakhon Ratchasima province, Chiang Mai province, and Bangkok administrative area, which are expected to see a rising number of patients.

However, the department reported that no new strains have been found, and the four existing strains continue to be transmitted via mosquitoes.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-11-11 footer_n.gif

Isn't there a vaccination for Dengue fever?