Renewing a retirement visa early at Jomtien, is it possible?

AbeSurd

If there was a pinned topic or FAQ explaining this very simple concept then the debate would not need to continue. That's the whole point.

The OP clearly did not fully appreciate the difference between an extension and a visa until it was pointed out to him. Many others make the same mistake every day.

Perhaps the OP didn't understand, but most people with "retirement visas" had no doubt. smile.png

Edited by tropo

If there was a pinned topic or FAQ explaining this very simple concept then the debate would not need to continue. That's the whole point.

The OP clearly did not fully appreciate the difference between an extension and a visa until it was pointed out to him. Many others make the same mistake every day.

Perhaps the OP didn't understand, but most people with "retirement visas" had no doubt. smile.png

One normally does not create FAQs or pinned topics for those who already know the answers. One creates them for the benefit of those who dont know the answers, so as to avoid having to endlessly answer the same simple questions.

I speak as someone who at various times has been paid to write professional FAQs and similar online help files.

Well, it could not possibly do any harm and might do some good. As such to me it seems worth the tiny amount of effort it would require.

OK. So write one up then and present it but be prepared for it to be torn apart.

Not my place.

So you want a pinned topic but also want somebody other than you to write it ?

Selfish .

I nominate Kitten Kong to write the pinned topic. coffee1.gif

I nominate KittenKong too.

After all, who else is there?

No one's going to entrust it to stupid old me.

I wouldn't touch it with my extension-bargepole anyway.

Edited by AbeSurd

You get no bonus points for number of continuous retirement extensions of stay. So if you are not here just visit a local Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa entry and extend that again when the time comes.

You seem to be inviting me to display more of my ignorance. OK, I'll go for it.

"You get no bonus points for number of continuous retirement extensions of stay."

Maybe no bonus points but I have heard it can help an application for permanent residence. Yes, I know permanent residence is little more than a pipe dream - and perhaps especially for a retiree like me. But I'd be very interested in permanent residence, should it ever become possible. One can only live in hope!

"just visit a local Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa entry and extend that again when the time comes"

You mean in the UK? It used to be very easy to get them from Hull, by mail. But I'm not sure if that's still the case.

There's also this from the Pattaya City Expats Club website: "if you qualify as a retiree and did not obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A visa in your home country or obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa for entry (i.e. entered using a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt status), Thai Immigration will allow you apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at the Thai Immigration Office on Changwatana in Bangkok, and will grant a 90 day permission to stay, which then can be extended for one year at the Thai Immigration office serving your geographical location."

But, you know, I'm old and stuck in my ways now, and I prefer the tried and tested route that's worked for me for the last six years (ie the retirement renewal thingy at Jomtien).

You get no bonus points for number of continuous retirement extensions of stay. So if you are not here just visit a local Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa entry and extend that again when the time comes.

"You get no bonus points for number of continuous retirement extensions of stay."

Maybe no bonus points but I have heard it can help an application for permanent residence. Yes, I know permanent residence is little more than a pipe dream - and perhaps especially for a retiree like me. But I'd be very interested in permanent residence, should it ever become possible. One can only live in hope!

"just visit a local Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa entry and extend that again when the time comes"

You mean in the UK? It used to be very easy to get them from Hull, by mail. But I'm not sure if that's still the case.

There's also this from the Pattaya City Expats Club website: "if you qualify as a retiree and did not obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A visa in your home country or obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa for entry (i.e. entered using a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt status), Thai Immigration will allow you apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at the Thai Immigration Office on Changwatana in Bangkok, and will grant a 90 day permission to stay, which then can be extended for one year at the Thai Immigration office serving your geographical location."

But, you know, I'm old and stuck in my ways now, and I prefer the tried and tested route that's worked for me for the last six years (ie the retirement renewal thingy at Jomtien).

Advice given was based on your OP that stated that you would not be in Thailand during the window of dates necessary to obtain an extension of stay. For that reason recommendations include obtaining a non imm o-a multi entry visa (my choice) or a non imm o visa back in your home country.

I think that the correct assumption concerning the non imm o obtained in Thailand is that it would give you the opportunity to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. You are not actually obtaining an extension of that visa. Once you obtain your new extension of stay that non imm o visa is dead and done.

But in the end, as always, you are welcome to accept or disregard any and all advice here.

Edited by SpokaneAl

If you were here working or on marriage extensions PR would be more of a factor - but on retirement it is not in the cards.

Yes there is the option to convert current stay to non immigrant O entry but now must be done in Bangkok and normally requires two trips so not really better than obtaining as a local country Thai Consulate on short vacation (and getting to experience another location for a few days).

Advice given was based on your OP that stated that you would not be in Thailand during the window of dates necessary to obtain an extension of stay. For that reason recommendations include obtaining a non imm o-a multi entry visa (my choice) or a non imm o visa back in your home country.

I think that the correct assumption concerning the non imm o obtained in Thailand is that it would give you the opportunity to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. You are not actually obtaining an extension of that visa. Once you obtain your new extension of stay that non imm o visa is dead and done.

But in the end, as always, you are welcome to accept or disregard any and all advice here.

Given what I said in my OP (version 2 of course), as far as I'm concerned, if Jomtien say "no" the best suggestion so far is to seek out the services of an agent. That'll be the first thing I'll be trying - should it get to that.

Thanks for your input.

If you were here working or on marriage extensions PR would be more of a factor - but on retirement it is not in the cards.

Not on the cards right now. But who knows what the future in Thailand might bring?

Always good to have dreams I guess.

pig-flying-__tigatelu_-_Fotolia_large.jp

Given what I said in my OP (version 2 of course), as far as I'm concerned, if Jomtien say "no" the best suggestion so far is to seek out the services of an agent. That'll be the first thing I'll be trying - should it get to that.

Thanks for your input.

This is not really a question for the OP as much as for other experts.

If the immigration office will not provide the extension of stay because the application does not meet the required date window, can one just hire an agent who has the ability to make this happen, whether or not it is legal and correct?

It sounds a bit fishy to me.

Edited by SpokaneAl

This isn't generally the best place to get tips on illegal practices, but I would say if an agent can manage to get a legal extension stamp from your local immigration with the old wink wink nod nod say no more ... then that stamp would be legal. I don't think there is a set national law on how early you go in. That's a matter of local enforcement policies.

So nothing stopping people from approaching agents with this question and they'll say yes or no, and tell you their fee.

Edited by Jingthing