Visa extension based on Marriage

I just wish to ask a few things about the visa extension based on marriage from those who have recently done the procedure

1. from the replies on the promenada thread the marriage extensions are still dealt with at the old Airport location? Is that still correct?

2. I have to wait until the final 30 days of my 3 month visa before applying.?

3. As this is my first one, is this the one I need to set up cuddly photos sitting in the garden; or a building site in my case (with the missus) and take proof of a 2/3 month 400k bank deposit on the day.?

4. is it a case of just turn up with the missus fill forms in there and be prepared to wait.

5. Finally, multiple entry or single entry (+ re-entries)is there any merit/advantage to either?

thank you

I recently did it for the first time after 37 years of living here [most of the year] on just about every kind of Thai visa available, at one time or another.

The one I preferred was the Non-immigrant one-year multiple entry "O" visa. In the past it was sometimes easy to get, and sometimes difficult. They are always changing the requirements and moving the goalposts.

To answer your questions as best I can:

#1... Yes, we did it at the airport location. Arrive early - 6AM or before.

#2... Not sure. Don't wait too long. Apply at least two weeks before your old visa expires. I presume you know that a Non-immigrant visa is required to apply for a one year marriage visa. Being here on a Tourist visa doesn't cut it anymore.

#3... Family photo is now required...yim ngahm. As is the 400k bank balance.

#4... Yes, basically that's it. Do yourself a favor and ask in advance what documents you will need, and show up prepared, if possible.

#5... I may be wrong, but I don't think you can choose single or multiple entry. If you want to leave the country, you get a single re-entry permit - 1000 baht or whatever it is - or a multiple re-entry for 3800 baht.

One other thing that I might mention is the frequency of home visits by immigration cops nowadays. Many farangs are getting them. It has only happened to me once and that was a long time ago - back in the early '80s. Two of them came, young guys, somewhat dour but civil. They filled out a form... information that had already been submitted. It was an obvious sham, but there was no direct or indirect attempt to shake me down. They left after about 20 minutes. It never happened to me again.

A few days ago my wife got a phone call from immigration asking her to come in and confirm the fact that I was living at the address given on the application form. She went in with a friend and neighbor who has known us since we were married. All went well and - presumably - I won't be getting a visit. So it goes.

Hope this helps... good luck.

• Like 2

I recently did it for the first time after 37 years of living here [most of the year] on just about every kind of Thai visa available, at one time or another.

The one I preferred was the Non-immigrant one-year multiple entry "O" visa. In the past it was sometimes easy to get, and sometimes difficult. They are always changing the requirements and moving the goalposts.

#2... Not sure. Don't wait too long. Apply at least two weeks before your old visa expires. I presume you know that a Non-immigrant visa is required to apply for a one year marriage visa. Being here on a Tourist visa doesn't cut it anymore.

#4... Yes, basically that's it. Do yourself a favor and ask in advance what documents you will need, and show up prepared, if possible.

#5... I may be wrong, but I don't think you can choose single or multiple entry. If you want to leave the country, you get a single re-entry permit - 1000 baht or whatever it is - or a multiple re-entry for 3800 baht.

One other thing that I might mention is the frequency of home visits by immigration cops nowadays. Many farangs are getting them. It has only happened to me once and that was a long time ago - back in the early '80s. Two of them came, young guys, somewhat dour but civil. They filled out a form... information that had already been submitted. It was an obvious sham, but there was no direct or indirect attempt to shake me down. They left after about 20 minutes. It never happened to me again.

A few days ago my wife got a phone call from immigration asking her to come in and confirm the fact that I was living at the address given on the application form. She went in with a friend and neighbor who has known us since we were married. All went well and - presumably - I won't be getting a visit. So it goes.

I might have misunderstood you but I believe the 400,000 baht in the bank must have been in there for two months prior to the application and 3 months for an extension. Also the letter from the bank must match to the baht your bankbook figure.

As is common some people have been able to get away with out that but most of them have to have it. Have seen several cases on Thai Visa where they had to go to the bank and get them matching.

I might have misunderstood you but I believe the 400,000 baht in the bank must have been in there for two months prior to the application and 3 months for an extension. Also the letter from the bank must match to the baht your bankbook figure.

As is common some people have been able to get away with out that but most of them have to have it. Have seen several cases on Thai Visa where they had to go to the bank and get them matching.

Yes, that's right.

A ton of documents are required - one of then being a bank statement [letter] issued on the day previous to the application verifying that the money is in the bank.

I shouldnt be asking you this question but as you wrote it.........

What exactly do you mean saying 2 month prior to application and 3 month for an extension?

Isnt the application and extension done on the same day? and a two month bank seasoning.

What exactly do you mean saying 2 month prior to application and 3 month for an extension?

Isnt the application and extension done on the same day? and a two month bank seasoning.

Well I am out of my league with your Visa as I read it you do not have a retirement Visa and are applying for one. I am fairly sure you need the money in the bank for two months prior to that. The extension is the visa you get every year for it you need the money in the bank for three months prior to the application.

I am not 100% sure I have the length of time correct. It might be 3 months for the retirement and 2 months for the extension. I believe it is covered in one of the permanent posts at the top of the forum.

Well I am out of my league with your Visa as I read it you do not have a retirement Visa and are applying for one. I am fairly sure you need the money in the bank for two months prior to that. The extension is the visa you get every year for it you need the money in the bank for three months prior to the application.

I am not 100% sure I have the length of time correct. It might be 3 months for the retirement and 2 months for the extension. I believe it is covered in one of the permanent posts at the top of the forum.

Thank you for doing your best.

It may be a good idea to read the title of the topic then you dont need to talk about retirement which i am sure you are an expert.

If i do decide to retire i will be straight back at your door.

• Like 1

For marriage extension. The 400 k must be seasoned 60 days for each and every extension of marriage you apply for. Also when you apply you will be put on 30 day under review which gives immigration time to interview you and wife at your home. This 30 day under review becomes part of your 12 months extension when approved.

• Like 1

1. from the replies on the promenada thread the marriage extensions are still dealt with at the old Airport location? Is that still correct?

Yes

2. I have to wait until the final 30 days of my 3 month visa before applying.?

Yes you have to wait until the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

3. As this is my first one, is this the one I need to set up cuddly photos sitting in the garden; or a building site in my case (with the missus) and take proof of a 2/3 month 400k bank deposit on the day.?

Are saying you are wanting to submit photos at home that is no finished yer?

The 400k has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

4. is it a case of just turn up with the missus fill forms in there and be prepared to wait.

You will need to 2 completed TM7 forms with copies of the supporting attached to each one.

5. Finally, multiple entry or single entry (+ re-entries)is there any merit/advantage to either?

You can get a single or multiple re-entry permit after you get the one year extension stamp 30 days after you apply for the extension. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht. If you plan on making several trip during the year a multiple would be best.

• Like 1

Paperwork:

1. Two application forms T.M. 7 with two photographs size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

2. Copy Marriage Certificate

3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office, marriage registry (not older than six months, even if marriage certificate is under 6 months old)

4. Child's birth certificate (if any)

5. Copy wifes house registration (first page showing address and the page showing her details)

6. Copy wifes identity card

7. Copy passport (all pages with stamps), non-Im visa, arrival card.

8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife

9. Map to residency (names of roads and house marked in Thai and GPS coordinates)

10. 3 Pictures, one showing you outside the house with wife and house number visible, One in bedroom, One showing time relaxing.

11. Copy house book from residence (signed by owner and a signed copy of their ID Card, as this may not be the wife in some cases) or rental contract.

12: Copy of the letter from the MFA showing you were able to marry

With money in bank option.

1. Letters from your bank same day or day before stating bank records, and a transaction list for the past two months.

2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.

3. Letter from bank must show transaction during previous two months.

With Income in Thailand option

1. A copy of work permit (All stamped pages)

2. Personal income tax (PND.1) for latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year (PND.91) with receipts showing it has been paid

3: Copy of Company documents stamped and signed, Documents must be under 6 months old.

4: Letter of employment, stating location of employment, role and renumeration.

With Income from abroad.

1. Embassy letter stating your income.

All of the above in two copies, if not in BKK

• Like 1

They may also require you to bring a "witness" along to vouch that your marriage is real

so they need to be someone who is not family but knows you quite well as they do interview the "witness"

Witness needs to supply copies of house registration and ID card.

• Like 1

Well here's a dilemma…. in PoorSucker's post on the paperwork needed.

3.Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office,marriage registry(not older than 6 months,even if the marriage certificate is under 6 months old)

Last year the immigration officer we had in Chiangmai told my wife and I that we didn't have to keep getting an updated Kor Ror 2 copy every year(which is what we've been doing for the previous 3 years) and could use the same one from 2015 for 2016's extension.

This was a great relief to my wife because like a great many Thais she is intimidated by government offices and has just hated going to the amphur every year for a new copy(she says the clerks are rude and annoyed when she requests the copy).

I'm not doubting PoorSucker's post on paperwork requirements and if it was up to me I'd march into the amphur office once a week for a new copy but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that my wife will believe the not older than 6 months criteria or go back to that office after what the Chiangmai immigration officer told us last year.

I'll tell her it can't be older than 6 months she'll say that's rubbish and off we'll go to Chiangmai 75km's away with a very real chance of having to return another day with a up to date Kor Ror 2 before our application can start being processed.

I have seen reports tha CW does not ask for the Kor Ror 2 to be recently updated.

Some offices even want them to be no older than 30 days.

To be safe my wife gets one shortley before we do the application.

Exactly Ubonjoe!

I wish my wife would see it that way.

We pass the amphur office 2 to 3 times a week while we're doing various shopping runs out here in the sticks. It might take 10 minutes and just 40 baht just to stop and pick up a currently dated Kor Ror 2 and it's done just to be safe.

My wife will say we where told last year we didn't have to get a new one every year (and she's right) and and no amount of just in case logic will make her go into the amphur office where she feels she's being belittled. Unless of course we are told by a immigration officer this year that it must be current and that means another dark of night trip into Chiangmai perhaps to start the whole process again with the proper document requirements.

Maddening!facepalm.gif

Did not need an updated KR2 in CNX, the one was actually used 2 times already in BKK. One house photo was enough as well and I never heard of a GPS requirement. In BKK they accept a printout from Google Maps with the place marked, in CNX I had to redo a manual drawing. That was in June. So it's as with everything in this country. Unpredictable.

Edited by MadMac
  • Like 1

Is there any regulation regarding visa extension based on marriage that states how long the foreigner has to have been married for before making such an application ?

What I mean is, could I get married one day; and the next day make such an application ?

Is there any regulation regarding visa extension based on marriage that states how long the foreigner has to have been married for before making such an application ?

What I mean is, could I get married one day; and the next day make such an application ?

The is no rule that sets a minimum amount of time to be married. So yes you could get married and apply the next day.