The new multiple visa from sweden arrived today

"For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status in English from the school, college, or university."

This is positive news for me and many others for sure. Also maybe for those who were considering of setting up a shelf company for the sole purpose of obtaining this visa, maybe easier to enroll to some course and get proof of it in some cases.

Was made plain to me in Berlin last week that to get DE (till 12.11) which I had applied for, or METV (thereafter), proof of planned exits i.e. bookings must be shown.

And that’s the nub isn’t it? My outside trips depend on what I’m up to at any given time. Booked locally by me (plane, train, bus) on the spur of the moment when I get itchy feet, without plans for hotels etc. Take care of that when I get there.

I settled on the spot for a single entry, and will have to travel out/extend as needed. But that now means all the hassle of applying for a second single entry TR whilst in a different country on holiday if I want to avoid the visa exempt route (which I prefer to do) on longer trips. Do the Thais have a consulate in Snooky for instance? Or Hoi An? Now I also have to carry paperwork and fotos etc …

Pain in the &$$ at the very least.

• Like 1

For our Swedish friends it does not mention retired.

An employment certificate in English from an employer mentioning

the applicant's job position, salary, the

purpose of visiting Thailand, and the date when the applicant is expected to return to

work. For self-employed, please submit business license or business registration indicating the

applicant’s name. For a student, please submit an original certificate of student status

in English from the school, college, or university.

I guess individual liberties never really took hold in Europe (or thailand for that matter). But why would anyone beleive the Employer controls the lives of it's employees to such an extent?

These requirements have nothing to do with Europe, these are requirements set forth by someone in the Thai immigration department.

Most likely someone who doesn't or hasn't traveled overseas, but has sat down and come up with a list of requirements he/she thinks would be useful to know about the incoming visitors to Thailand.

Maybe even done by a committee....

Clearly you have never applied for a UK visitor visa!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423699/2015_04_20_Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_Final__2__-_CLEAN.pdf

Looks to me that the Thailand does not want to get the unemployed coming to Thailand on METV.

Yes, it is just typical Thai mentality, If the unemployed or anyone else wants to come to Thailand, contribute to the economy,

not do any work, or get into trouble, then just what is their problem?

Thailand does depend on tourism for it's economy, or do they?

Depend on? Not really, although if they lost all tourism they'd certainly feel it.

Tourism accounts for 17% of their GDP.

Check this site for data - http://knoema.com/atlas/Thailand/topics/Tourism/Travel-and-Tourism-Total-Contribution-to-GDP/Total-Contribution-to-GDP-percent-share

Looks to me that the Thailand does not want to get the unemployed coming to Thailand on METV.

Yes, it is just typical Thai mentality, If the unemployed or anyone else wants to come to Thailand, contribute to the economy,

I guess its really about the unemployed. Surely Thailand depends on tourism but people that lost their jobs are just the wrong people to visit this country. :)

If that figure is correct, I would say it's safe to assume they depend on tourism to maintain a healthy economy. They're not dependent on tourism for survival but no country could lose 17% of it's GDP without enormous repercussions.

And 99% of that 17% comes from the 2 to 4 week tourist.

The serial visa exploiters are the only ones to feel any pain.

Those that qualify for the METV will have no problems.

All my opinion of course biggrin.png

Depend on? Not really, although if they lost all tourism they'd certainly feel it.

Check this site for data - http://knoema.com/atlas/Thailand/topics/Tourism/Travel-and-Tourism-Total-Contribution-to-GDP/Total-Contribution-to-GDP-percent-share

Yes, that's fine, and all the more reason to want to encourage tourism, but they are so stupid it seems they don't.

They have a beautiful country, so surely they should want to take advantage of it, besides, it is not just tourism, a lot of

the under fifties want to stay here, so surely they should be encouraged, and not have to jump through so many hoops.

There is another factor here - countries not wanting their citizen-cattle to "escape" and pay sales and other taxes somewhere else. If only away for a little while, the tax-cattle will likely not become acclimated to a better life, offered elsewhere. But if they stay long term, they might have the realization, "Why would I ever go back to that place?" A Consulate must follow the Thai directives, but can also "improvise" to suit their own nation's interests, no?

A Thai Embassy and a Consulate is very much the same and they both report to the MFA.

Yes, that's fine, and all the more reason to want to encourage tourism, but they are so stupid it seems they don't.

They have a beautiful country, so surely they should want to take advantage of it, besides, it is not just tourism, a lot of

the under fifties want to stay here, so surely they should be encouraged, and not have to jump through so many hoops.

Try to stay under 50 in many countries without showing money and they don't want them as well.

If you are under 50 years an METV is perfect to make Thailand your base during the cold winter months. Thousands of farangs do it every year and after 5-6 months they return back to their home country. Their is no visa for a foreigner to stay forever as a tourist in Thailand but if anyone wants to be a tourist forever all he has to do is fly out every 8 months back home to get a new METV visa.

I think on TV a lot of foreigners are upset because they have to fork out a ticket which could cost as much as 20-50,000 Baht.

Edited by MobileContent

I guess its really about the unemployed. Surely Thailand depends on tourism but people that lost their jobs are just the wrong people to visit this country. smile.png

but people that lost their jobs are just the wrong people to visit this country. How do you make that out? There are lots of western people who have been made redundant

and want to come and visit Thailand, and maybe even get married, and live here, buy property etc. You are surely not suggesting that a lot of these people are undesirables just because they lost their jobs.

• Like 1

MobileContent. I am not saying that the under fifties should not show that they are financially stable, they can show proof of earnings from rented property, or

business interests, inheritance etc, from their western bank accounts.

MobileContent. I am not saying that the under fifties should not show that they are financially stable, they can show proof of earnings from rented property, or

Sure!

They can do that in their Western countries and if they can satisfy the requirements they will be issued a METV..........................

Sure!

They can do that in their Western countries and if they can satisfy the requirements they will be issued a METV..........................

That's OK the first time, but when they go to Thailand with the intention of maybe living there, why should they have to go back to there own country every so often to renew

there METV? Or have I got it wrong somewhere?

Sure!

That's OK the first time, but when they go to Thailand with the intention of maybe living there, why should they have to go back to there own country every so often to renew

You have understood perfectly.

An METV is not intended to facilitate "living" in Thailand which can only be achieved by qualifying for a (renewable) extension of stay based on marriage or other provable family reason, retirement or (legal) work.

Sure!

You have understood perfectly.

An METV is not intended to facilitate "living" in Thailand which can only be achieved by qualifying for a (renewable) extension of stay based on marriage or other provable family reason, retirement or (legal) work.

You are right, all I am saying is that the under fifties should not have to jump through

so many hoops if they want to stay in Thailand. If they can prove they are financially secure that should be it.

• Like 2

Actually it doesn't...tourism only makes up about 10% of Thailand's GDP. Manufacturing and agriculture make up most of the economy at about 60 and 30 percent respectively.

• Like 1

Off-topic, inflammatory posts and replies removed.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. That means addressing the issues presented in the post, not in making comments to or about other posters. Doing so is off-topic and your post will be removed and you could face a suspension. Digging through other member's posts and bringing them up on the forum can be considered stalking and it is against the forum rules.

You have every right to express your opinion about the topic. You may disagree, but it must be done in a civil manner.

• Like 2

If that figure is correct, I would say it's safe to assume they depend on tourism to maintain a healthy economy. They're not dependent on tourism for survival but no country could lose 17% of it's GDP without enormous repercussions.

The vast majority of those who qualify for the METV will have no need to apply for it. They have easier options. I think the powers that set the conditions for the METV visualize those on package tours, where all flights and hotels are booked in advance. The METV may, indeed, be of value to those few on package tours who do not qualify for visa exempt entries, but whose tour involves more than a single entry into Thailand.

All this assumes that the conditions for granting an METV are not relaxed at certain consulates for certain classes of applicants. My gut feel is that the condition to apply in home country, at least, is going to be firmly enforced initially by the MFA.

< snip>whose tour involves more than a single entry into Thailand.

. <snip>

Side trips to Luang Prabang and/or Angkor Wat. Maybe soon to Myanmar/Burma. The tour buses from Bangkok to Laos routinely spend the night in Khon Kaen.

Edited by JLCrab

I wasn't making any predictions about the effect of the METV, just pointing out that the health of the Thai economy is, in my opinion, most definitely dependent on tourist figures remaining strong.

Re. Your other point - Thai consulates in neighbouring countries used to offer double-entry tourist visas to those from Western countries. Citizens of Western countries therefore travelled to those consulates, applied for and obtained visas - how does that make them 'visa exploiters'? You seem to have appointed yourself judge and jury on this matter but your opinion carries no weight whatsoever as far as Thai immigration matters are concerned (neither does mine of course but then I'm not the one accusing people of exploiting the system).

Edited by eaglesflight

Maybe it's just me, but I think many people are taking the new rules too literally and that ways around the employment requirement, and possibly the financial requirements, will be found. Let's see how the first actual applications go and then how the procedures are "refined" thereon.

Let's hope the first reports are honest and not just fabricated BS either!

Well at least it's only 200,000 for three months.

Interesting that this consulate can only require 3 months of bank-statements. This contrasts with the others all requiring 6 months. This implies a greater flexibility in implementation, which is a good sign.

These current regulations are a prototype, expect to see many changes to the wording over the next few months.

• Like 1

I have just removed a post that was dragging this topic further off topic. The topic is about the METV not working online and etc.

Any further off topic posts will be removed without notice.

Just a reminder after removing some more posts.

I wasn't making any predictions about the effect of the METV, just pointing out that the health of the Thai economy is, in my opinion, most definitely dependent on tourist figures remaining strong.

Re. Your other point - Thai consulates in neighbouring countries used to offer double-entry tourist visas to those from Western countries. Citizens of Western countries therefore travelled to those consulates, applied for and obtained visas - how does that make them 'visa exploiters'? You seem to have appointed yourself judge and jury on this matter but your opinion carries no weight whatsoever as far as Thai immigration matters are concerned (neither does mine of course but then I'm not the one accusing people of exploiting the system).

I agree with you eaglesflight... If someone uses a Visa provision that is totally allowed - as the example you describe .. How could it be in any way exploitation ?

It is nonsense for people to say such things. It is the same as saying that anyone in the U.S. who uses authorized provisions of the Federal Tax Code to avoid paying more taxes is EXPLOITING the system ... total rubbish...

The vast majority of those who qualify for the METV will have no need to apply for it. They have easier options. I think the powers that set the conditions for the METV visualize those on package tours, where all flights and hotels are booked in advance. The METV may, indeed, be of value to those few on package tours who do not qualify for visa exempt entries, but whose tour involves more than a single entry into Thailand.

This new visa seems strange as they want applicants to have jobs. Well I'd like to find an employer that offers their employers 60 days leave !

People in jobs don't holiday for more than 30 days so they have no need for this new visa. They can come on visa exempt or regular single visa.

I still can not understand how this visa is any different from the previous tourist visas? Ok you can leave and enter 4 times instead of 3, and it costs more. Big deal