Makro Membership

mulder12345

Do they only allow business affiliated people to obtain a membership card or can non-affiliated people get one also? I would go there and ask but am afraid I might be wasting the trip by recieving inaccurate responses. The website says businesses but that could be old info. Thanks.

When you enter the store, either ask at the counter for a day pass or save 2,000 baht in receipts and show them to staff at the desk and a permanent member card will be issued.

We posted at the same time there - are there any benefits for the average non-business type to being a member? We've been going for years and never looked into it.

When you enter the store, either ask at the counter for a day pass or save 2,000 baht in receipts and show them to staff at the desk and a permanent member card will be issued.

We posted at the same time there - are there any benefits for the average non-business type to being a member? We've been going for years and never looked into it.

I don't think so, we shop there because it's convenient and the prices on some items are the best around.

When I see makro promotions on line , there are sometimes double pricings , for members & non members. Don't know whether that is in de stores too. But if you buy an expensive item , can't you ask a Thai with a card on the check out and pay them back the reduced price ?

They ask if you have a member card when you are at the checkout, say no and they enter a number which looks suspiciously like 99999. We've never had a problem.

We do the same...

No need to ask for a number on the way in any more.

Edited by rawhod

As I understand it , by being a member and when you use your card your account number is shown on their records. This would would enable them to print out some type of receipt at year end tax time. As it is now anyone can go in and buy at Makro. If you don't have a card, you will just get a white cash register receipt.... with the card you get a full print out of item , item number, number of items purchased as well as how much baht.... all in the printout... Years ago Makro was set up solely for business owners buying in bulk or some volume. ..... the in coming of Lotus, Big C, Carrfoure and others created a need for change in this policy.

For information straight from the horses mouth , I would suggest going to one of the Makros and ask directly. After all the expense to go to a local Makro is not like a flight fare to Bangkok....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I visit Makro 2-3x/week. I've never owned a membership card. The prices quoted on my receipt always match the prices listed on the shelves.

Having returned to CM 3 weeks ago I noticed something dramatically different at Makro. Every 2nd night bulb (if not more) were turned off, inventory was markedly down and so was the number of products.

It's still a great place to shop!

It's also an accurate indicator of an economy in turmoil.

Having a member card, which we have had for 7 years, does get you a monthly mailing of specials which is sometimes handy.

Have often noted at the checkout that there is a slight price difference,in our favour, on the printed receipt, rather than the shelf price.If that's because we are a member not sure but its minimal. couple of baht at most.

Re stock shortages as I guess everything comes from Bangkok and surrounds it could be just increased demand ,lot more people in CM these days.

Also have often witnessed, say Tonic Water or Beer Laos, out of stock because a bar /pub owner has just loaded the last of the remaining stock into a mega trolley.

Makro is currently undergoing a major update to it's system and as such many items are out of stock with no-one able to say when they will be in stock. I was told it could take up to 2 months to be back to normal. They're constantly moving stuff to different aisles or even to a different position within the same aisle, which can be a bit annoying to those of us re-stocking our business that thought they know where everything is and want to be in and out as quick as possible.

They ask if you have a member card when you are at the checkout, say no and they enter a number which looks suspiciously like 99999. We've never had a problem.

Any particular reason for not joining it if you have used it for a long time and plan on continuing using it.

Any particular reason for not joining it if you have used it for a long time and plan on continuing using it.

No reason, to be honest I thought we couldn't without being a business, but for the amount we buy there it definitely isn't worth it. Almost all things that we either can't get elsewhere or I want the larger sizes of (nuts and tinned tomatoes mostly, nuts for the cheaper size in 1kg packs as we go through an awful lot of almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts and tomatoes because we use a fair amount of tinned ones and I can freeze the leftovers of the Italian catering size cans which are far better than any other tinned tomatoes here - or fresh ones for that matter, depends on what they are used for) and stewing beef and lamb.

Other things I pick up whilst we are there are only because I go supermarket shopping as infrequently as possible and get as much as I can when we are at one. I usually don't come out with any change from 5,000 baht or more, but I only go every two or three months.

Makro is currently undergoing a major update to it's system and as such many items are out of stock with no-one able to say when they will be in stock. I was told it could take up to 2 months to be back to normal. They're constantly moving stuff to different aisles or even to a different position within the same aisle, which can be a bit annoying to those of us re-stocking our business that thought they know where everything is and want to be in and out as quick as possible.

Thats a Supermarket ploy,to try and make us buy more,they move goods around

so you have to go looking for them,and in searching you might see something else

that you were not looking for and buy it.

Its a pain in the arse but,when they do move goods around,shopping takes twice

as long,and I at least find something that I had not planned on buying,so it works.

The double pricing referred to is not traders Vs the common man (or woman),

but for unit price against full case price.but you have to be careful,as the full

case price is not always the cheapest,

regards worgeordie

Losing his John Doe identity?

so you have to go looking for them,and in searching you might see something else

as long,and I at least find something that I had not planned on buying,so it works.

but for unit price against full case price.but you have to be careful,as the full

regards worgeordie

Because I'm shopping for the business I make my list on the computer and list items according to where they are in the aisles. Moving them around usually means I end up not buying something because it wasn't where it was, and gets forgotten about. I hate shopping and just want to get in and out as quick as I can, so prolonging the agony by making me search for something that they've moved is not to my liking and often results in lost sales. Out-of-stock items are on the increase again and the answer as to when it will be back in stock is basically, 'we've absolutely no idea until we've finished the update to the operating system'. I'm due a trip today............

Anybody can shop at Makro, but as far as I know non-members has to pay cash.

Bring your own plastic bags as Makro don't provide any.

Makro certainly doesn't accept anything but cash in Buriram. There is a system whereby you can deposit a certain amount, thereby getting a better discount. Don't confuse business cards which generally get used by people with a liquor license, with normal customer cards.

There are quite a few items that are much cheaper in Makro, in fact some items are cheaper than in the market. Chicken carcass (for our dogs, I hasten to add) at as little as ฿17 / Kg,

฿24 / Kg on the same day at BigC.

the BIL is a member and he says he not only gets a discount from the shelf price but because he buys in such large quantities (for his private business and for the government agency he also is affiliated with), that he gets incredible offers that come in the post and by email. i'm not sure what they are but i believe discounts on airline tickets, freebies when he takes a large group of people to certain restaurants, and so forth. he says over the years he has gotten incredible offers which are sent only to Thai business owners and government people. he also needs the itemized invoices for reimbursement, that only members get.

regards worgeordie

Because I'm shopping for the business I make my list on the computer and list items according to where they are in the aisles. Moving them around usually means I end up not buying something because it wasn't where it was, and gets forgotten about. I hate shopping and just want to get in and out as quick as I can, so prolonging the agony by making me search for something that they've moved is not to my liking and often results in lost sales. Out-of-stock items are on the increase again and the answer as to when it will be back in stock is basically, 'we've absolutely no idea until we've finished the update to the operating system'. I'm due a trip today............

...as I do exactly the same as you say, make a computer list according to the pattern I go thru in the aisles, then as you say something is moved from its usual location. I have prepared a Makro form also showing the price previously paid as I also have been going to the hwy Makro for close to 20 years now..... still refuse to give up my original Orange Makro card. One of he biggest complaints I have about the new management , is their lack of managing. The stocking with pallets scattered everywhere, not pushed to the side of the aisle but in the center of the aisles, and the lift truck/buggies . They act as if the store is there for them to do as they please , with no concern for the customer..... but they will learn when the customer base falls. No manager ever is around to make a complaint. I have gotten so aggravated that I have left in place a half filled buggy out on the floor and proceeded to leave the store. Shouldn't do it but did it anyhow. Makro a very good store for many years , has gone downhill to the dogs since the sellout and new management.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

regards worgeordie

...as I do exactly the same as you say, make a computer list according to the pattern I go thru in the aisles, then as you say something is moved from its usual location. I have prepared a Makro form also showing the price previously paid as I also have been going to the hwy Makro for close to 20 years now..... still refuse to give up my original Orange Makro card. One of he biggest complaints I have about the new management , is their lack of managing. The stocking with pallets scattered everywhere, not pushed to the side of the aisle but in the center of the aisles, and the lift truck/buggies . They act as if the store is there for them to do as they please , with no concern for the customer..... but they will learn when the customer base falls. No manager ever is around to make a complaint. I have gotten so aggravated that I have left in place a half filled buggy out on the floor and proceeded to leave the store. Shouldn't do it but did it anyhow. Makro a very good store for many years , has gone downhill to the dogs since the sellout and new management.

There is an extremely attractive young lady that is in the office directly in front of the tills (superhighway branch) and I had a chat with her today. She speaks excellent English and she said that the new system will hopefully be completed by the end of this month, but it won't be till New Year that the store is fully stocked again. A nationwide update is in progress, I'm told. I used to go to Makro and get everything that was on my list and now I have to fart about trying the different stores, going from one to the other.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Was there today, many empty shelves in every aisle. Was like that last week already. No coffee, no creamer of the brands I usually buy.

'Praise' salad dressing has gone up from 59 to 98 Baht. Beer is cheaper at my local shop where I can buy 24/7. Seems, that after takeover by CP group, the management has gone downhill.