Blue Moon Diamond sells for a new world record at auction

webfact

Blue Moon Diamond sells for a new world record at auction

606x341_316937.jpg

NEW YORK: -- The rare and flawless Blue Moon Diamond has sold for $48.4 million to a buyer from Hong Kong, setting a world record for the sale of a gemstone at auction.

The 12.03-carat diamond is said to be among the largest known vivid blue diamonds and was the showpiece sale at Wednesday night’s auction at Sotherby’s in Geneva.

The blue diamond stone was found in South Africa’s famed Cullinan mine in January 2014.

Sotherby’s auction house said in a video that the Cullinan mine was the “only reliable source in the world for blue diamonds,” and only a tiny percentage of those found in it contain even a trace of blue.

Blue diamonds are formed when boron is mixed with carbon when the gem is created.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-12

Trinkets for moneyed people with low self esteem. I used to work for Rio Tinto and in Australia we employees were allowed to buy diamonds from Argyle Diamond mine at cost price. A display was shown to me, one was a small fingernail sized pink diamond for $16000. I saw that same diamond in the same layout 10 years later. Valued at $125000. Did I regret that I did not buy a trinket? You bet.