USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

Maybe outlying areas of Puget Sound WA or greater Portland, OR area. Snoqualamie type towns in Western WA, maybe even Bellingham or even smaller towns south of Canadian border. Maybe 1-2 hours outside of Bangor, ME or Portland, ME. Santa Rosa, CA?

To tell the truth, first suggestion that comes to mind for Jingthing was Merida, Mexico. Meets low cost of living, access to health care (good reputation/English speaking doctors), and has diverse ethnic food options. Also has large gay expat community. Have two relatives who have bought old colonials outside of downtown area there who seem to like it there. Progresso on the coast less than 1 hour away.

I couldn't qualify for legal retirement status in Mexico. The needed levels have gone up considerably. But, yes, I've heard Merida is a nice place, but very hot. I know and love Puerto Vallarta and if I do move back the U.S. I hope to visit there again.

If I was in the market for an alternative expat destination, I would be looking into Cuenca Ecuador, which I can qualify for.

Anyway, this thread is really limited the USA destinations.

Edited by Jingthing

please stop promoting yourself as a gay man, who is only capable of living on the dole.

If you're just here to post hateful (and distorted) personal attacks, please go away.

As far as my personal situation, which the topic does touch upon.

-- Yes I am gay so whether a USA destination is gay friendly or gay hostile is one factor, among many, in choosing a potential destination.

I am not interested in living in gay sauna, but I don't want to live in a place where I'm likely to be violently attacked for being gay either. Get it?

-- Yes, as I am under 65 and Medicare age, I think it is wise to move to a state that offers expanded Medicaid, because I am highly doubtful I would be able to afford the retail cost of private insurance. The situation is this, if you're not eligible for regular Medicaid (I wouldn't be) and you don't make enough income to be eligible for government subsidies of private insurance (which I anticipate is likely) then your only current choices in the U.S. are:

- go without insurance

- pay full retail for private insurance

- enroll in EXPANDED Medicaid, if you live in a state that offers that.

For me to have that THIRD option, obviously, I would need to live in one of those states. Chart was posted early in this thread.

I highly doubt that French expats, for example, would have to endlessly apologize and defend themselves to mean spirited right wingers about wanting to return home and use as needed their universal health care system.

To add: THIS IS NOT A DEBATE TOPIC ABOUT U.S. POLITICS or "OBAMACARE"!

If you want to debate the pros and cons of Obamacare, etc. please do so on on one of the POLITICAL threads on the World forum.

I don't want this thread closed as I know I am not the only American who may be interested in lower cost USA destinations to move to if for whatever reasons, good or bad, they need to or want to go home.

The topic is:

USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

There is another option for health insurance which is the employer provided type.

In all of the years I was self-employed and before Obamacare, I bought health insurance rather cheaply. What I did was self-insure for all but the catastrophic. IIRC I chose a policy that had a $10,000 annual deductible and then 100% coverage (no co-pay) after that. I never collected on that policy because I never had the $10k of bills in any year. I never had $1k in bills in any year but what there were, I paid them.

I came out way ahead on that because what I did pay each year was much less than what total health care insurance premiums would have cost me.

Before that when I was a banker the bank provided "Cadillac" insurance for me.

• Like 1

I have no intention of ever leaving Thailand unless I am forced to. That said, one never knows what the future will bring so I do watch things in the USA. No way would I ever consider renting. I look at states with low property taxes and reasonable housing prices. You can find a small house for less than $40,000 in a number of states. Once you have that you have removed the biggest variable expense. Obviously you won't be in a prosperous city but I'd rather be in a rural area anyways and driving a ratty old pickup truck. Farm market food is cheaper and likely healthier. I like to fish and hunt. My favorite fish is catfish and they are easy to catch while sitting on a river bank. A deer in the freezer will feed you for a long time. The gun propped in a corner provides needed security. Obviously I'm not a city lover and would need to be in a rural area to be happy. I like and am able to install solar power and maintain it myself. That would cut down drastically on my utility bills. I would easily survive as long as I am somewhat fit. I'm not the type who needs or wants fancy clothes or a mansion. When it comes to the point that I can no longer take care of myself, who knows? That is out of my control.

I have no intention of ever leaving Thailand unless I am forced to. That said, one never knows what the future will bring so I do watch things in the USA. No way would I ever consider renting. I look at states with low property taxes and reasonable housing prices. You can find a small house for less than $40,000 in a number of states. Once you have that you have removed the biggest variable expense. Obviously you won't be in a prosperous city but I'd rather be in a rural area anyways and driving a ratty old pickup truck. Farm market food is cheaper and likely healthier. I like to fish and hunt. My favorite fish is catfish and they are easy to catch while sitting on a river bank. A deer in the freezer will feed you for a long time. The gun propped in a corner provides needed security. Obviously I'm not a city lover and would need to be in a rural area to be happy. I like and am able to install solar power and maintain it myself. That would cut down drastically on my utility bills. I would easily survive as long as I am somewhat fit. I'm not the type who needs or wants fancy clothes or a mansion. When it comes to the point that I can no longer take care of myself, who knows? That is out of my control.

It sounds like you have pretty much figured out what works for you, congratulations.

The problems begin as we age and our health begins to decline. I have seen that issue in my neck of the woods, where a number of people, who pretty much fit your description, are getting old, feeble, and are having a hard time making ends meet, and find it necessary to make that long drive to the doctor or the pharmacist more and more frequently. And that ratty old pickup becomes more and more cantankerous and undependable.

And they are not particularly wealthy, with their dream home out in the middle of nowhere which would be very difficult to sell, so they spend their days wondering and worrying and their equally elderly and fragile spouse takes up more and more of the slack until that is no longer possible. Eventually one spouse dies and then the other is really alone and floundering.

Those are sad days.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

Jing, the thread is at 23 pages now.

Would you be willing to do a quick recap on whatever top couple location choices you've come to considering at this point, and what you see as the main pluses and minuses of each?

I really think it would be better if you read the thread.

But the top choices (IF I go back before age 65) are:

Tucson AZ

Albuquerque NM

Cleveland OH

Pittsburgh PA

Rochester NY

Medford OR

with Tucson being way at the top.

So I suppose I need to visit there to check it out.

Main criteria are:

Affordability

Affordability

Affordability

Mid Sized city or even large city (bias against small towns and rural)

Expanded Medicaid Option

Public Transportation

Good variety of lower cost very diverse restaurants

Gay friendly (not wanting or expecting West Hollywood)

Some Jewish culture

Climate ... not too hot / not too cold / not too humid when hot

Culture -- live theater, art, street festivals, etc.

Potentially compatible community feel

Racially diverse ... points for lots of Asians

Tolerable level of crime

None of my choices really have ALL that to a high level (or even a low level).

Because of the importance of affordability, that place doesn't exist.

Obviously for anyone considering this, their list of desired qualities will be different. My destination list would expand if I go back after age 65.

As far as how I think Tucson fits in with my criteria, here's what I think now, to the best I can know without visiting there or living there:

Affordability -- Good affordability for that size of city with the amenties it has

Mid Sized city or even large city (bias against small towns and rural) -- Mid sized city

Expanded Medicaid Option -- yes, probably, politics could change (same in all states)

Public Transportation -- there are a few central neighborhoods where you don't need a car, but high chance of needing a car

Good variety of lower cost very diverse restaurants -- Rates HIGH

Gay friendly (not wanting or expecting West Hollywood) -- Rates OK depending on neighborhood

Some Jewish culture -- Rates OK

Climate ... not too hot / not too cold / not too humid when hot -- Good or great for majority of year, horrible for part of the year (hot season)

Culture -- live theater, art, street festivals, major University, etc. -- Rates OK, maybe a little better than OK

Potentially compatible community feel -- Possibly (my possibly false impression is there is a QUIRKY factor in Tucson culture and has a fair population of "counterculture" types. Not Portland or Austin of course, but I think there is interesting stuff happening there.

Racially diverse ... points for lots of Asians -- Not very many but enough for some Asian grocery markets, plenty of places to get Pho

Tolerable level of crime -- Rates poorly, HIGH CRIME CITY

Bonus Item for Tucson -- dramatic lovely mountain and desert scenery, OK access to MEXICO

Bonus bad stuff for Tucson -- rattlesnakes, bats, and scorpions / provincial type airport / It's in Arizona (sorry)

Edited by Jingthing

Welcome to Tucson!

attachicon.gifStar of David patch_thumb1.jpg

I see you removed the troll graphic.

Anyway, I am not religious but it's nice to have places to get bagels, matzohs, and a Jewish Film Festival couldn't hurt.

Tucson has all that and much more.

Moving to a desert land ... that's pretty Jewish!

http://www.tucsonjcc.org/

http://www.jewishtucson.org/

Edited by Jingthing

I have owned three homes in Phoenix....unbearably hot in the Summer....Similar cost of living to Tucson, but there are better low end options in Phoenix. The gay jew areas tend to be expensive in both places, with the exception of Midtown Phoenix...85012, 85014.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/arizonas-no-promo-homo-sex-education-law-targeted-in-legislature-7982912

Edited by bangmai
  • Like 1

Based on research I can see there are more housing options in Phoenix but for whatever reasons perhaps gut feelings I don't think I want to live in such a wannabe LA. I do think I might actually want to live in Tucson. Not sure yet of course. More choices are good but I would only need one choice. I don't expect to live in a high end Jewish or gay neighborhood anywhere. My expectations are well tempered by my resources.

The difference between Denver and Phoenix is that people in Phoenix admit that it's not a world class city. Any place that is remotely affordable in LA, will be $$$$. During the RE Crash, I was searching for single family homes in LA for under 100K. I came across one....it was on Normandy St.. I started asking myself why that sounded so familiar....Reginald Denny was nearly beaten to death at the intersection of Florence and Normandy, which is still considered the igniting point of the LA Riots (of 92). This house was two blocks away.

Yeah California is out for me.

I realize that focusing on Tucson might be as horrible mistake or that I might hate it instantly if I go there. No guarantees on my budget. If I'm desperate enough to consider retirement in Cleveland you get the picture.

Edited by Jingthing

Welcome to Tucson!

attachicon.gifStar of David patch_thumb1.jpg

I see you removed the troll graphic.

Anyway, I am not religious but it's nice to have places to get bagels, matzohs, and a Jewish Film Festival couldn't hurt.

Tucson has all that and much more.

Moving to a desert land ... that's pretty Jewish!

http://www.tucsonjcc.org/

http://www.jewishtucson.org/

The Noah's chain is OK but there are no really good Bagels west of the Hudson river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is kind of funny, but a bit of a shakeup in how I'm looking at the question of expanded Medicaid eligibility.

I will start another thread about this because it's a technical issue impacting on all Americans who opt for social security before age 65 and also perhaps those who just live largely on IRA withdrawals, also under age 65.

I need to look into this as it's tricky and technical, but I think now that expanded Medicaid option might actually not be an issue for me. In fact, I may well be in a situation where I wouldn't be eligible for that even in states that offer it, but WOULD be eligible for significant SUBSIDIES on regular ACA "Obamacare" private insurance. That's potentially very good news, but complicated.

In case people don't get this, you need to make a MINIMUM income (changed annually) to be eligible for these ACA insurance subsidies. If you make a lot, no subsidies, that won't be an issue for me of course, and if you make UNDER the threshold you get no access to subsidies, but you do have access to EXPANDED Medicaid in the states that have that option. I just wasn't thinking before that my income may put me into the zone of eligibility for actual insurance subsidies. Silly me.

Keep in mind I've been living abroad and haven't really had to digest all these complicated ACA details. But aside from my personal calculations, these are really issues that would impact on most not-wealthy Americans who "retire early" under 65, that is, as far as eligibility for either expanded Medicaid or subsidies for ACA insurance.

I think it's important enough for a separate thread, so please save technical comments on it for that thread.

As far as THIS thread, not 100 percent sure yet, but for me this could mean I can look harder at U.S. destinations that are NOT in expanded Medicaid states. I have to look into this again but initially this probably means a closer look at Texas and Florida.

As far as priorities, one thing all my current top list lacks that really is quite a desire for me is a location where I would not need to own a car. Cleveland might work for that, but cold of course, and even there most people feel the need to own a car. So if people have ideas of places where that have:

OK climate

REALLY don't need a car

Affordable

I'd like to hear that as I can't think of any off the top of my head.

A place could even be a "bit" more costly than Tucson, for example, if I could do without a car, as of course running a car is a MAJOR expense.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If you are able to put up with the heat, sand and the desert, Tucson may work out for you. I would advise you to go there and take a close look before you commit. Maybe you should take a look at Metairie, LA. Cheap living and everything you could want. Yes it is part of New Orleans but take a look at the crime statistics. Safer than Tucson.

• Like 2

Any thoughts on comparing Tucson vs. San Antonio, Texas?

Yes, I'm looking at Texas now.

I realize San Antonio has hot humid summers but generally I'm reading favorable information about it's overall climate. Lower crime than Tucson.

Of course, very Latino, a big city (7th in the U.S.), fairly conservative politically, it's in Texas ... but a huge tourism draw for Texans themselves so there's got to be some appeal. Can drive to the Gulf coast beaches as well. The only non-car friendly area would be central downtown, more expensive of course, so car needed.

Also suppose Houston deserves another look.

I know the obvious choice is Austin but I'm seeing that as more expensive living costs (housing) than San Antonio and fewer choices. Also car needed.

Edited by Jingthing

something like 85% of Coloradans live within 20 miles of I-25...it's along that corridor.....One hour from Colorado Springs, 2 hours from Denver...you can legally buy an ounce of smoke in Colorado for 350 USD, or you can buy one illegally in Tucson for 50 USD...go figure. Colorado Springs is a big HQ for many Christian groups, so most of the gays would be in Denver, but seeing that Colorado State U. (Ft. Collins) has a lot of women's sports teams, you can bet on the Fred Flintstone haircuts being popular there, too, just like Tucson. Ft. Collins is expensive, too, similar to Corvallis or Eugene.

Edited by bangmai