USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The historically massive hurricane Irma is tracked to MAYBE  hit Orlando, FL.

Yes, Orlando, in central INLAND Florida. 

Obviously nobody knows if it will but still to me surprising. 

My buddy moved to Orlando many years ago. First year had 2 big storms. Lost electricity for several days. Eventually bought a generator and then moved. I remember the bugs. Couldn't sit in his back yard for long!

On 11/23/2016 at 6:51 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

You must have missed the point about it being means tested. Medicaid is "free" to all who have nothing. The myth about it remains intact but facts are facts. The USA has National Health Care and it's called "Medicaid". If you have money/assets and don't want to pay for insurance it's simply too bad, your choice, you suffer. I get tired of reading how people want to keep their "wealth" and think others paying taxes should and will pay their bills. We all care about the indigent but hiding assets or refusing to buy insurance is another matter. 

It;s not called Medicaid! It's called ObamaCare and it's failing big time. Half of ObamaCare recipients get it Free but you can't use it because the deductibles (out of pocket) average $8000 to 12,000 year, if you can find a doctor to accept.

It's also wrecked havoc on to market based policies insurance programs. Better to Kill it now.

My buddy moved to Orlando many years ago. First year had 2 big storms. Lost electricity for several days. Eventually bought a generator and then moved. I remember the bugs. Couldn't sit in his back yard for long!

I lived just south of Orlando in Taft from '78-'88. You sit outside with the light on.

Don't remember an big storms but you are right about the bugs.

Had a lot of fun there...
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, tomwct said:

It;s not called Medicaid! It's called ObamaCare and it's failing big time. Half of ObamaCare recipients get it Free but you can't use it because the deductibles (out of pocket) average $8000 to 12,000 year, if you can find a doctor to accept.

It's also wrecked havoc on to market based policies insurance programs. Better to Kill it now.

My buddy in Colorado pays a very low deductible for doctor and hospital visits. And next to nothing to be covered.

Obviously Orlando can't ever get a fully direct hit because any storm weakens going over land. But this is a very strong storm and still tracking towards central Florida from the south. I just hadn't realized Orlando was subject to that level of storm risk.

I would have thought Orlando would normally be a good evacuation destination.

Obviously Orlando can't ever get a fully direct hit because any storm weakens going over land. But this is a very strong storm and still tracking towards central Florida from the south. I just hadn't realized Orlando was subject to that level of storm risk.
I would have thought Orlando would normally be a good evacuation destination.

Yes, for people evacuating New York winters...
On 9/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, craigt3365 said:

Reason? Thailand and no longer cheap for his family.

You came to mind, as I am moving away from the exurbs of Metro Boston and resizing my maturing life. If you have have children and I am sure you care for their education, where you live is important and you will pay for this premium in real estate and directly connected to property tax.

In my hood, property taxes alone are $8500\year, closing in on $1000\month, and I am low in the market as I bought in many years ago. I had no problem with these costs as my child received a first rate education with very supporting programs of activities and mingling with other children of the professional class. Not that that this is the end all for anybodies peace or path for success but it helps. There is a class structure in the US.

Maybe a denial, to the progressive expats in Thailand, my all in Elizabeth Warren democratic exburb has few Blacks or immigrant Latinos. They are  transiting in for housekeeping, back room restaurant serving, landscaping, or low end home repairs. They can't live here, zoned out of apartments or affordable homes. They are not wanted to live here. Here, they label the highly caste professional young people from India or China to fill the quota of minorities. They are the same. 

So so it goes.

Edited by Kim1950
On 7/29/2017 at 6:37 AM, Jingthing said:

Storm / climate change issues in the Tampa / St Pete area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/health/environment/tampa-bay-climate-change/

Wow. Are they psychic?:ohmy:

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2017/hurricane-irma/

First, there's a projected Sunday morning hit in the Lower Keys. Then later, after moving over water, Irma is expected to come ashore around Cape Coral or Fort Myers. From there it is predicted to steam inland and go over the highly populated Tampa Bay region. The Tampa Bay area has not been struck by a major hurricane since 1921.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So JT, how are those Southern repatriation spots looking right now?

Well, unlike the current U.S. government, I accept the science behind human activity changing the climate (it's already happened, the question now is how much worse). So I don't think it's any kind of coincidence that we're seeing so many more extreme storms more frequently. It means there will be less predictability. Some areas that advertise that they are almost never badly impacted by storms, like Jacksonville for example, won't be able to say that credibly any longer.

But the downside for my timeline is that Pittsburgh won't be transforming into a warm winter destination any time soon.

On the other hand, already very hot areas like Arizona and probably already even hotter than before.  

I also think flooding in inland areas will probably become more frequent and more extreme. 

I'm also aware that it's a pick your poison kind of thing. I used to live in earthquake country and was close to a big one. Take your pick, quakes, floods, tornadoes, extreme heat, snakes. Oh my!

Another factor, is that people with limited budgets are likely to be living in more dangerous structures in high risk areas. Lower sea level in flood zones, older housing not built to modern standards, mobile homes, lower floor in flood zones, etc. Ironically, very rich people tend to buy right on the water, but presumably their insured and can afford the losses.

Edited by Jingthing
7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So JT, how are those Southern repatriation spots looking right now?

It looks like this, with little income, no connections, no family or a family or government that cares about you. And, no 'Resistance' Movement that gives a shit about you. Even the cat has better 'high-ground. 

You all, need a good session of 'Radical Acceptance'.

29xp-texasphoto-facebookJumbo.jpg

Edited by Kim1950
It looks like this, with little income, no connections, no family or a family or government that cares about you. And, no 'Resistance' Movement that gives a shit about you. Even the cat has better 'high-ground.    You all, need a good session of 'Radical Acceptance'.

29xp-texasphoto-facebookJumbo.jpg.f9f624cfdbbb741496a461e611f1a852.jpg&key=a192f523d8e8f3e3c57bfc8dc23ef2c50eabfff23faf4cdbacb39b785e0f2647

Stick to the destination discussion. I didn't start this thread to invite the sort of snarky and presumptuous insult post that you just posted. 

Also the current potus vs. the resistance type stuff does not belong here either.

Also keep in mind that this topic isn't just about my personal potential repatriation. The destination focus may be of interest to many members.

If you have a problem with this please PM me instead of making this another thread hijack thing.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Stick to the destination discussion. I didn't start this thread to invite the sort of snarky post that you just posted.

It wasn't meant to be 'snarky'. I have great sentiment for these people. It was meant to viscerally make people aware how lacking the US Government and the state of their politics is, in regard, to the poor elderly and where they 'live'. These same places were discussed in your forum. The post is from the NYT making my same point. This would not have happened in the Hamptons, the Vineyard, or any Apple-Google-Amazon Hood' or been the message in any 'Resistance March'. These people should have been the first to be  evacuated from Houston. No problem, from now on I will stay clear of your forum.

Thought you didnt want cold?  

Cincinnati isn't the frozen North, but it's still a 32 degree place Jan and feb for sure

I don't want a lot of things. I do like a lot of urban amenities but the A list cities are definitely out.

I'm getting more sour on Florida now and much as I'm sure I'd like a lot about Tucson the extreme heat freaks me out.

I was looking at Rochester NY before on a similar vein. Probably would like that culturally better than Cincinnati but I assume it's colder.

I've eliminated Cleveland.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't want a lot of things. I do like a lot of urban amenities but the A list cities are definitely out.

I'm getting more sour on Florida now and much as I'm sure I'd like a lot about Tucson the extreme heat freaks me out.

I was looking at Rochester NY before on a similar vein. Probably would like that culturally better than Cincinnati but I assume it's colder.

I've eliminated Cleveland.

I use to live near Dayton, OH.  Went through a huge tornado there.  Another big one hit in '74, 89 and 2000.  And yes, it's cold!

Rochester is SUPER cold.  Miserable.

• Like 1
Just now, Jingthing said:

I actually don't get that joke. I've been in Thailand a long time. 

It's Jerry Springer, who was the Mayor before he headed into his 'illustrious' TV career, and that WAS a joke

What bearing that has on Cincinnati as a place to live however, God only knows!

• Like 1

OK, I said I'm souring on Florida but probably I'm overreacting based on current events.

This article speaks to the desirability of Florida retirement diminishing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get-there/wp/2017/09/12/with-threat-of-hurricanes-is-florida-still-a-retirement-haven/

With threat of hurricanes, is Florida still a retirement haven?

Anyway, now I'm thinking it will interesting to watch the price trends on those lower cost over 55 communities in St. Pete / Bradenton, etc.

Possibly because they are age restricted, if the demand goes down especially from the Midwesterners that mostly move to such places, the value though higher risk may still be tempting.

One thing I'm sure of though, the ground floor units of such places that are multistory are going to probably be even better relative so called bargains. 

Perhaps embrace the temporarility of it all, probably easier to do the older you get. 

Or think of it like the old Thailand advice, never invest more than you can afford to lose (your life?).

An extreme tactic might be to get into the cheapest mobile home imaginable that wouldn't survive a level .5 hurricane. 

Edited by Jingthing
2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's Jerry Springer, who was the Mayor before he headed into his 'illustrious' TV career, and that WAS a joke

What bearing that has on Cincinnati as a place to live however, God only knows!

He was the Mayor of Cincinnati so you get an idea of what kind of government the city has. 

14 minutes ago, amvet said:

He was the Mayor of Cincinnati so you get an idea of what kind of government the city has. 

That was back in the 70's, it's akin to saying the Ford Pinto is representative of all Ford cars today!

By all accounts Cincinnati's economy is booming, so they must be doing something right