The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Age seems to come into play with most of these visas.

If you are 65 or over, just show a DWP statement and

you get a multiple entry Non O for a year, which is a good

deal especially if you plan on returning for some reason.

And of course you can convert it to retirement extension

if you wish to and have the money in the bank for 2 months.

Actually going back to UK if you have a place in March April and May isn't so bad, you won't be coughing your lungs up.

Edited by uptheos

On 2/8/2017 at 8:13 PM, riclag said:

I'm from the USA. Is it possible to get a 30 day visa exempt stamp at a land border  (Taket ,Lao) after I complete my last  30 day  extension of the METV? 

My enter before date on the METV is Feb 28 .I plan on a border run on the 27th that will give me another 60 days plus a 30 day extension,then I plan on a land border run for a visa exempt entry of 30 days .How many days will I lose ? I figured I can stay until June 24. I'm trying  to figure how to book my flight out. 

Thanks

On 2/7/2017 at 7:19 PM, ubonjoe said:

You will get another 60 day entry if you do it on or before the enter before date on your visa.

You can get a single re-entry permit at immigration for a fee of 1000 baht that will keep the remainder of  your 60 day entry valid when your return from your trip to Laos. Then you could get a 30 day extension at immigration of the 60 day entry you got at immigration.

Thanks so much for your reply ubonjoe!

So I should apply for the single re-entry permit at immigration after I make my final visa run but before I head to Laos with my friend, correct? Also, do you know how much time it takes to process that visa? It looks like I'll only have a couple days between coming and going...

Cheers! 

20 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Thanks so much for your reply ubonjoe!

So I should apply for the single re-entry permit at immigration after I make my final visa run but before I head to Laos with my friend, correct? Also, do you know how much time it takes to process that visa? It looks like I'll only have a couple days between coming and going...

Cheers! 

A re-entry permit is issued on the same day you apply for it. That could be a matter of minutes dependent upon how busy the office is.

I am on my 2nd metv both from the uk one after each other and hoping to get a 3rd but wanted to avoid the travel back to the uk, is it possible to get one from anywhere closer or more cost effective yet?, I remember reading austrailia and perth was issuing them some time ago is there any latest updates for uk passport holders on all other options.

I  have all the income, self assesment etc in place.

1 minute ago, swbaggies said:

I am on my 2nd metv both from the uk one after each other and hoping to get a 3rd but wanted to avoid the travel back to the uk, is it possible to get one from anywhere closer or more cost effective yet?, I remember reading austrailia and perth was issuing them some time ago is there any latest updates for uk passport holders on all other options.

Just your home country

2 hours ago, swbaggies said:

Maybe Australia.  Others have received them there, because the rules stated one only needed a "valid visa" - not citizenship or permanent-residency, as other consulates require.  Since those reports came in, however, honorary consulates have been restricted from issuing longer-term visas - reducing your choices.  You would need to contact official (not honorary) Thai consulates in Australia to see if they will still issue METVs to non-Australians with valid visas.  If you try this route, please let us know what you find out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 4:02 PM, elviajero said:

There's no need for a METV.

The SETV will be valid for 3 months, but only gives 60 days on entry. After 60 days he can apply for a 30 day extension of stay from Immigration (1,900 baht).

After 90 days he'll need to exit and should have no problem getting a second SETV from a Thai embassy/consulate in a neighbouring country. He will again have 60 days on entry that can be extended by 30 days.

When applying for a new SETV in a neighbhouring country ( if you use a visa run service or something like that) do you need a air ticket out of thailand, like the thai emmbassy want here in denmark?

5 minutes ago, Hjernestimulanz said:

When applying for a new SETV in a neighbhouring country ( if you use a visa run service or something like that) do you need a air ticket out of thailand, like the thai emmbassy want here in denmark?

Yes if that's a requirement of the Embassy/Consulate that the visa run service are taking you to.

The only real benefit of a visa run service is transportation and help with the required paperwork.

On 09/02/2017 at 7:47 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can do a entry on or before the enter before date on your visa and get a new 60 day entry by land sea or air.

Great, my METV will expire on the 26th. Try to make the hop on 25th. Flight out is on 23th April, so gives me 1-2 days to play. Made a run already on 13th this month, but that would just bring me to the start of Songkran, not the best time for travels :sleepy:, so the other 10 days are quite welcome.

Hello all,

I've spent some time with this thread and various sites around the web and have ended up confused, so I've made an account to ask for your kind wisdom on the below:

I'm an American currently on a non-immigrant B which I'll no longer be sponsored for as I am leaving my firm next week. I would like to remain in Thailand for 2-6 months looking for another job. Seems the METV would be perfect for me, as it gives me up to 9 months, and I will need to make some regional trips over that period as well.

Therefore my question(s):

1) Do I have to return to the USA to apply for the METV, or is there a regional consulate I can fly to and get it done? Seems HK & Penang are issuing them recently if I understand correctly?

2) If I cannot get an METV regionally, what about SETV?

3) If I just didn't bother with any of the above, can I just fly out and back in once every 30 days and continue coming in on the 30 days visa-exempt status? How many times consecutively can/has this been done?

Much obliged for any help gents.

29 minutes ago, jvee said:

Hello all,

I've spent some time with this thread and various sites around the web and have ended up confused, so I've made an account to ask for your kind wisdom on the below:

I'm an American currently on a non-immigrant B which I'll no longer be sponsored for as I am leaving my firm next week. I would like to remain in Thailand for 2-6 months looking for another job. Seems the METV would be perfect for me, as it gives me up to 9 months, and I will need to make some regional trips over that period as well.

Therefore my question(s):

1) Do I have to return to the USA to apply for the METV, or is there a regional consulate I can fly to and get it done? Seems HK & Penang are issuing them recently if I understand correctly?

2) If I cannot get an METV regionally, what about SETV?

3) If I just didn't bother with any of the above, can I just fly out and back in once every 30 days and continue coming in on the 30 days visa-exempt status? How many times consecutively can/has this been done?

Much obliged for any help gents.

Welcome to the forums!

1. You definitely cannot get an METV at any consulate near Thailand. The METV is not comparable to the double/triple entry tourist visas that used to be available in the region. Officially, the METV can only be applied for in your home country, or a country where you have long-term residence. Possibly, they might issue you an METV in Australia, but a trip home to the US will likely be necessary.
  2. It is pretty easy to get SETVs at multiple consulates near Thailand.
  3. You can certainly try using a few visa exempt entries. Back-to-back visa exempt entries are frowned upon, and you will definitely not be allowed more than two if crossing back into Thailand by land.

I recommend you plan on primarily using single entry tourist visas, mixing in the odd visa exempt entry if it becomes seriously inconvenient to get a visa on rare occasions.

I have a 60-day multiple entry visa (From USA) Cost $200 American. The question is: I got it in December of 2016, and it indicates I must enter by June 2017.

Now, I have already been in and out of Thailand no less than 10 times since December 2016 (Viet Nam, China, Cambodia, Lao, etc etc) and each time, the "Must Exit By" time stamp is 60 days after the entry. Does this mean that I can re-enter the Kingdom in Early June and then stay until early August? It seems like each entry is good for 60 days. Is this the case?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rocco Tano said:

I have a 60-day multiple entry visa (From USA) Cost $200 American. The question is: I got it in December of 2016, and it indicates I must enter by June 2017.

Now, I have already been in and out of Thailand no less than 10 times since December 2016 (Viet Nam, China, Cambodia, Lao, etc etc) and each time, the "Must Exit By" time stamp is 60 days after the entry. Does this mean that I can re-enter the Kingdom in Early June and then stay until early August? It seems like each entry is good for 60 days. Is this the case?

Thanks!

Yes.

You can enter on or before the 'enter before ' date and you will receive permission to stay for 60 days.

Does the 6 month clock start ticking the moment you visa is issued, or the moment you enter Thailand?

I want to get METV in my home country (Canada) now, let's say March 1.

Then travel around SE Asia for about 3 months before entering Thailand, let's say June 1.
Would the 6 month period on the METV be half gone by the time I enter Thai?  That would kind of make the visa pointless and better to get SETV.

(Sorry if this has been asked.... can't read 86 pages)

3 minutes ago, asdfrules said:

Does the 6 month clock start ticking the moment you visa is issued, or the moment you enter Thailand?

The visas validity starts from the date it is issued.

If you get a single entry tourist visa it will only be valid for 3 months.

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes.

You can enter on or before the 'enter before ' date and you will receive permission to stay for 60 days.

In addition ,you can also apply for a 30 day extension at IO,just before your 60 days is up

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Welcome to the forums!

1. You definitely cannot get an METV at any consulate near Thailand. The METV is not comparable to the double/triple entry tourist visas that used to be available in the region. Officially, the METV can only be applied for in your home country, or a country where you have long-term residence. Possibly, they might issue you an METV in Australia, but a trip home to the US will likely be necessary.
  2. It is pretty easy to get SETVs at multiple consulates near Thailand.
  3. You can certainly try using a few visa exempt entries. Back-to-back visa exempt entries are frowned upon, and you will definitely not be allowed more than two if crossing back into Thailand by land.

I recommend you plan on primarily using single entry tourist visas, mixing in the odd visa exempt entry if it becomes seriously inconvenient to get a visa on rare occasions.

A big thank-you for your answer. Based on recent trip reports, it looks like HK is a safe bet for the SETV, unless there is some other no-brainer place handing them out.

Cheers.

55 minutes ago, jvee said:

A big thank-you for your answer. Based on recent trip reports, it looks like HK is a safe bet for the SETV, unless there is some other no-brainer place handing them out.

Cheers.

Hong Kong is great. I also believe Vientiane is still fine. There are various other locations that still work if you have an onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days of entry. Thus, for instance, you could book a flight to Hong Kong two months out, and go to Yangon for a tourist visa. There is plenty of scope to combine getting visas with some enjoyable travel around the region.

Hi.

Last year I received my first METV. Stayed in Thailand for 6 months, went to Cambodia for a month. Applied for a SETV in Phnom Penh and finished a 50 day stay in Thailand in December. I regularly go to Cambodia for a month during my SEA visit.

Will apply for a METV in April 2017.

This year, I have a slight back injury. Depending on how I feel after 6 months in Thailand I may want to just extend my visit to 9 months. As previously posted, I get a new 60 day when I enter on or before the enter before date.

(Q)

1. When your doing a second boarder run after 6 month stay, via agency or yourself (prior to entered date expires). Your second 1 day in/out visa run, will you get questioned/hassled by immigration. Can they revoked your new 60 day.

2. Applying for your 3rd 30 day exemption after staying 8 months.

Can you be refused by immigration having 2+ 30 day extensions in one year?

I guess my concerned is, members taking advantage of using 9 months to stay,

get any unwanted questioning from immigration? Or maybe some immigration officials not fully understanding how METV can be extended to 60 days each time you leave/return to Thailand.

TC

Hi I am about to apply for my first METV in about 2 weeks time two quick clarifications please

1) I am ok with a return ticket out of Thailand say in 6 months time - even though I will have to do border runs every two months whilst out there ? I can just show that flight as proof of exit plans every time ?

2) assuming I have all relevant docs how long should visa application to issue process take ?

thanks guys 

15 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Hi I am about to apply for my first METV in about 2 weeks time two quick clarifications please

1) I am ok with a return ticket out of Thailand say in 6 months time - even though I will have to do border runs every two months whilst out there ? I can just show that flight as proof of exit plans every time ?

2) assuming I have all relevant docs how long should visa application to issue process take ?

thanks guys 

1. Once you have your visa, there will be no need to show tickets when entering Thailand on any of your visits. The requirement on tickets to get the METV in the first place will depend on where you apply. You will need to research that directly.
  2. The time to issue the METV, again, will depend on where you are applying, and whether you are applying by mail or in person. Usually, if applying in person, an METV should be issued within a few days at most, often quicker.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CodyB said:

My first METV visa is winding up in the next couple weeks and Ill be heading back to Australia.  

Question is.  Has anybody gone for consecutive METV Visas?  

I have seen reports of people getting back-to-back METVs (not done it myself). I think the policy on this could vary by location. Australia is generally regarded as liberal in their requirements, so I would assume you would be OK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2017 at 7:41 AM, ncc1701d said:

Thanks. So getting a visa isn't going to save my passport pages. Not much point in getting one. Cheers for the reply.

I draw a line in pencil vertically down the centre of each page then draw 3 horizontal lines on each page thereby creating 8 boxes. I find the immigration officers put their stamps in these boxes giving me 4 trips to Thailand per page rather than them stamping the pages in and untidy way often wasting space and getting a maximum of 3 trips per page.

In the Multiple entry VISA form they ask for the "Duration of Proposed Stay". What did you fill out there ? Only 60 days, because thats the maximum days of each stay. Or more than 60 days ?

I worry if I fill out 180 days, that they will think I will use that VISA for long term living in Thailand. And only 60 days maybe doesn´t qualify for a Multiple Entry. They could say a single entry is enough for that. 

Any experiences ?

18 minutes ago, extazzy77 said:

In the Multiple entry VISA form they ask for the "Duration of Proposed Stay". What did you fill out there ? Only 60 days, because thats the maximum days of each stay. Or more than 60 days ?

I worry if I fill out 180 days, that they will think I will use that VISA for long term living in Thailand. And only 60 days maybe doesn´t qualify for a Multiple Entry. They could say a single entry is enough for that. 

Any experiences ?

I would write '60 days per entry' as that's what the visa allows.

21 minutes ago, extazzy77 said:

Any experiences ?

I have previously written, "60+60+47" to match the air ticket on which the return flight was dated 167 days after the outward leg. The application was accepted.

15 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I have previously written, "60+60+47" to match the air ticket on which the return flight was dated 167 days after the outward leg. The application was accepted.

I will try this too. That sounds logic and match with the VISA regulation. Thank you

Edited by extazzy77

1 hour ago, extazzy77 said:

I will try this too. That sounds logic and match with the VISA regulation. Thank you

I don't think it matters too much what you put, but my advice would be to keep it simple.

The visa is not designed for people to live in Thailand, but for those that visit regularly. There is no need to detail all your visits when you apply.