The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Just now, Briggsy said:

Have there been any reports of either METV's issued with no problems or alternatively questions asked at foreign embassies and consulates when applicants apply for a second METV? Since they have been available for approximately a year now, there must be some people going for a second one.

I just did a back-to-back one with the old one expiring on Nov 1 and the new one issued on 4 Nov. No questions asked at all......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DUS said:

I just did a back-to-back one with the old one expiring on Nov 1 and the new one issued on 4 Nov. No questions asked at all......

That is good to know. I will be doing the same in a few months.

Was yours at a German consulate?

Question: I'm 43 & meet the finacial requirements for all. I had been on an EDU visa 4 years ago, but seems like the EDU visa option is now closed?

So, my Thai girl wants me to marry her, but I'd like to never marry again and forever remain BF/GF.

I considered the Thailand Elite visa, but that's more for someone who is 100% sure they will spend the next 5 years here and while I may do that, I may move back to the PI or any other country I choose; life is short. 

So, on to the METV!

I'm a retired USA national that may need to do a METV. I suppose I could go home for Christmas and get the METV and come back. 

I saw conflicting info. Some says a 1 year METV and others say a 6 month METV. Which is it? Also, I think I'd need to obtain it in my home country of the USA, right?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd like the retirement visa, but I'm not 50. I've seriously considered Thailand Elite, but that's a lot of $ up front that I'd like to remain in the stock market or bonds. I'm also not 100% I'll be here for 5 years. Also, Thai girl wants to be wife which may, or may not be cheaper.

Thanks guys for all replies! Got to make a decision quick so can't wait to read your replies. 555 kop kun krup

7 minutes ago, seadigital said:

I saw conflicting info. Some says a 1 year METV and others say a 6 month METV. Which is it? Also, I think I'd need to obtain it in my home country of the USA, right?

• The METV is valid for 6 months from the date it's issued.
  • You won't get one in Asia. Maybe in Australia. Generally they are available from home countries or countries you have legal residence.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

That is good to know. I will be doing the same in a few months.

Was yours at a German consulate?

Not sure about Germany but many honorary consulates can no longer issue any multiple entry visa. Only embassies and official consulates can issue them.

You might want to check with the consulate where you plan on applying.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about Germany but many honorary consulates can no longer issue any multiple entry visa. Only embassies and official consulates can issue them.

You might want to check with the consulate where you plan on applying.

I use Liverpool which is still showing the METV on its website.

As an appointment is required prior to the application, I will find out for sure when I phone the efficient Ms Richardson at the Consulate.

39 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I use Liverpool which is still showing the METV on its website.

As an appointment is required prior to the application, I will find out for sure when I phone the efficient Ms Richardson at the Consulate.

Sadly, I think you are going to be disappointed. I do not think the excellent Liverpool consulate (or any of the other honorary consulates in the UK) are now permitted to process the METV.

I thought the restrictions on issuing multiple entry visas was limited to Non-Immigrant visas and not the TR visa. At least that is the regulation for the (honorary) consulates in Germany.

Edited by DUS

10 minutes ago, DUS said:

I thought the restrictions on issuing multiple entry visas was limited to Non-Immigrant visas and not the TR visa. At least that is the regulation for the consulates in Germany.

It varies by country.

In the US the honorary consulates can only issue single entry visas of any kind.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It varies by country.

In the US the honorary consulates can only issue single entry visas of any kind.

I thought the METV was a multiple entry visa that could theoretically allow me up to  9 months. 60 days + 30 extention + 60 + 30 extension + 60 days + 30 extension.

I'm a US citizen. 

Maybe I'm confusing honorary consulate? 

So, I should search for Thai embassy in USA?

"So 6 months (length of original METV) + 2 months (final 60 day stamp) + 1 month (final 30 day extension) = 9 months"

http://tielandtothailand.com/thailand-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-requirements/

This is so confusing.

Edited by seadigital

10 minutes ago, seadigital said:

I thought the METV was a multiple entry visa that could theoretically allow me up to  9 months. 60 days + 30 extention + 60 + 30 extension + 60 days + 30 extension.

I'm a US citizen. 

Maybe I'm confusing honorary consulate? 

So, I should search for Thai embassy in USA?

In the states there is the embassy in Washington DC and the 3 official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles that can issue the METV in person or by mail. The honorary consulates listed here cannot issue them. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Embassy requirements for the METV is here: http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

• Like 1

Have there been any reports of either METV's issued with no problems or alternatively questions asked at foreign embassies and consulates when applicants apply for a second METV? Since they have been available for approximately a year now, there must be some people going for a second one.

Had no issues whatsoever in Canada. You should be good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, LinTom said:

in regards to the $7000 requirement for metv, if i have $14000 in my account, can i get a visa for a significant other?

That is a good question. It may vary depending on nationality. However, my guess is the answer would generally be "no". The intent of the conditions is to show the applicant for the visa has no motivation to work illegally in Thailand. (I ignore, here, the question of how well it achieves this objective.) Simply showing a statement from someone else's bank account says nothing about the applicant's own financial state. If you were actually married, they might accept the argument that you are providing support, and independent financial means are unnecessary. If you are just saying (without documentary proof) that you are close and you will be supporting your partner, how can they know whether this is true?

47 minutes ago, LinTom said:

in regards to the $7000 requirement for metv, if i have $14000 in my account, can i get a visa for a significant other?

Highly unlikely. They will almost certainly require both applicants to show a bank statement bearing their name.

Applying for next METV before my previous METV expires, will this be a problem?

Current METV expires late January 2017, but will be apply for a new METV in December 2016.

Going back home to UK for Christmas holiday season and applying for new METV so I can continue to travel Thailand and around Asia in 2017.

Edited by Andy89

17 minutes ago, Andy89 said:

I'm arriving in my home country, England, and applying for my next METV before my old one expires, will this be a problem?

If you are near the expiration date of your visa it should not be a problem to apply for a new visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are near the expiration date of your visa it should not be a problem to apply for a new visa.

It would be just over 1 month. Current METV expires late January 2017, but will be apply for a new METV in December 2016.

Going back home to UK for Christmas holiday season and applying for new METV so I can continue to travel Thailand and around Asia in 2017.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had success doing this? I'll certainly keep my experience posted

1 hour ago, Andy89 said:

It would be just over 1 month. Current METV expires late January 2017, but will be apply for a new METV in December 2016.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had success doing this? I'll certainly keep my experience posted

I managed to do exactly what you plan to achieve albeit not in the UK but in Germany. I hold both passports so inquired with both the UK embassy as well as one of the German consulates. Got a quick and positive response from the German consulate so went there on my latest trip to Europe. They just cancelled my previous METV and issued the new one. So, theoretically, as ubonjoe already said, you shouldn´t have any issues getting a new METV but as always YMMV.....

For the METV its theoretically possible to get up to 9 months, but its a bit tricky:

1) The METV is valid for 6 months from date of issue.

2) The last time you enter the country on the METV you are allowed to stay 60 days from that day

3) You can get a 30 day extension on the last 60 day visa stamp you got on your last entrance.

So in theory, to get the maximum 9 months you would need to:

1) Leave the day you get the METV in your passport

2) Do your last entrance into Thailand on the day before the Visa expires

3) Do your 30 day extension.

All is easy except #1.  It can take a bit of time to get the METV (mailing, additional documentation, processing, etc.)  And how comfortable you are booking a flight relative to an expected passport being returned in the mail :)  If you can book at will or have an open flight then it's easier.

As for Additional Documentation: Some consulates/embassies may ask for additional documentation that is not listed as being required (as they have the option to request any additional documentation they want).  And this could result in a delay.

If you want to play it safe, it's usually safer to bank on it being 8 months (this gives you 1 month guarantee to process the METV and not miss your flight).

Now, for those who are young retirees and opt for an METV, the question I have is: How do you show proof of employment?  Some embassies/consulates want to see that which is difficult if you are not working.

All informations are into the consulate you are going for and they demonstrate what you have to show as far as paperwork you need.

If you get a government pension it shows into your bank statement.

That is all I know since I have been partly retired and only work for 3 to six months when going back to mycountry.

Next year it will be no work at all.

On 10/26/2016 at 0:48 PM, JimmyJ said:

USA citizen living in the USA. Will be making my first trip to Thailand, exploring it with a view towards moving there permanently.

1) " Visa exempt entry, available to nationals of most rich nations, allowing entry without a visa. This allows a 30-day entry (only 15 days if entering by land and not from a G7 country) extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand "

Is this still accurate?

As an American, you'd be entitled to a 30-day stamp when entering across land borders if you came without a visa -- the same as if you entered by air without a visa.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:26 PM, riorobc023 said:

I would like to update everyone that the METV is NO longer available at the thai consulate in Miami! They temporarily suspended the service to get that. I went yesterday and was only able to get a single entry! Only place in the USA to get it now is in Washington DC.

Best of luck everybody

You info is a little bit off.

Yes, the HONORARY consulates in the U.S. (such as Miami, Portland, Houston, etc) can NOT issue METVs.

However, METVs CAN be applied for and obtained from the Wash DC Embassy and the OFFICIAL consulates in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. They accept in person and mailed applications.

On 9/11/2016 at 1:26 PM, BritTim said:

I would never recommend that. However, an in/out to get a new 60-day entry can be DMK-KUL back the same day. If you want another SETV (say in Penang) then you are faced with more expensive flights, two nights hotel, and probably agent costs if you want an easy life. That is a big difference.

Looked today at Air Asia from DMK...

Cheapest same-day, round-trip flight between DMK and KUL worked out to about $100 U.S. for this coming Monday. Obviously, their pricing and promotions change over time and by date of the flight.

I'd take that over a death-box mini-van trip to the border any day of the week.

PS0898.jpg

METV - London  90 days on arrival

I got what I think people are referring to as an METV in London on 3rd October.  The actual visa says Non-immigrant, category O, No. of entry M.  Cost 125 GBP.

The surprising thing is that I was given 90 days at Suvarnabhumi - from 7th Oct to 4 Jan.

I went to Immigration Pattaya to ask if I will be able to extend this for 30 days, and was told that I will only be allowed 7 days.  The official may not have known what she was talking about, and I couldn't see anyone senior.  I have not been able to find anything on various web sites.

To obtain the visa, I only had to submit passport, form and photos - and money.

I stay here about 6 months a year, so intend to leave and return within about a week.  Leaving before 4th Jan to avoid possible problems.  It will be interesting to see if I get another 90 days when I come back.  Perhaps it's worth going via Suvarnabhumi, although Don Muang is likely to be more convenient.

Does anyone else have relevant experience of the length of stay granted on entry?

3 minutes ago, JimboJ said:

METV - London  90 days on arrival

I got what I think people are referring to as an METV in London on 3rd October.  The actual visa says Non-immigrant, category O, No. of entry M.  Cost 125 GBP.

You do not have a METV.

5 minutes ago, JimboJ said:

That is not a METV.

You get unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. There is no 30 day extension for non immigrant visas.