The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

20 minutes ago, kmw said:

Hi all, just wanted to give an update, I was successful with my third metv back to back, you might remember on my seccond metv I got a bit grilled at suvarnabhumi, this time I decided to fly onto Chiang mai so immigration was at the transit area at suvarnabhumi, the officer didn't even blink an eye and I stamped in, I had the 20k thb with me as well, just in case

Will try again for a 4metv back to back in 9 months time, I really think I might be pushing my luck though 

Thanks for the follow-up!

I hope you won't  encounter any issues when you do your bi-monthly runs using this latest METV. Can imagine it will continue to be squeaky bum time whenever you get back into the country given the latest reports of denied entries.

Would be great to hear your experience if and when you use your 4th back to back METV next year! 

In any case, good luck and enjoy your stay!

Edited by DUS
  • Like 1

Hi all, just wanted to give an update, I was successful with my third metv back to back, you might remember on my seccond metv I got a bit grilled at suvarnabhumi, this time I decided to fly onto Chiang mai so immigration was at the transit area at suvarnabhumi, the officer didn't even blink an eye and I stamped in, I had the 20k thb with me as well, just in case

Will try again for a 4metv back to back in 9 months time, I really think I might be pushing my luck though 

This is good news, means the Elite visa isn't really necessary if you can use METVs as required
  • Like 1

Thanks DUS,

I normally drive up to mai sai a few days prior to the required departure date, they are usually nice up there, as apparently they won't let you leave unless they will grant you entry

• Like 1

Thanks scuba,

I had the back up 20k thb in cash in case I asked and also 500k thb in a Thai account for the elite visa if I got deported, my plan was to fly to Singapore or Malaysia for several nights so I could apply, will see what happens next time I apply for the 4th metv 

• Like 2

Thanks scuba,

I had the back up 20k thb in cash in case I asked and also 500k thb in a Thai account for the elite visa if I got deported, my plan was to fly to Singapore or Malaysia for several nights so I could apply, will see what happens next time I apply for the 4th metv 

Just so I'm clear, straight 3 METVs with 30 day extensions? Up to 9 months each one? No SETVs or visa exempts in between?

2 hours ago, kmw said:

Do you have 3 METVs inside your passport or did you make a new one upon arrival in Sidney?

Great to hear that you successfully entered immigration without any haywire!

Hi DUS, Yes that's correct, I fly back to Sydney between each metv for about a week, 

I do have about 10 setv in my passport but they are all over 4 years old before the metv was introduced, I'm just getting a bit worried, as per my passport it's quite clear I am taking full advantage of the Thai immigration laws.

Edited by kmw

Hi shroud, Yes I currently have 3 metv in my passport, Yes as soon as I land in Sydney I goto the consulate to apply for another metv, it usually takes them 3 business days process it

Edited by kmw

14 hours ago, mcqueen said:

Doing bored runs in your own vehicle? any problems? how many people do it? (chiang mai)

I assume you mean border runs. Some do it (not sure about numbers). If you leave your vehicle on the Thai side of the border crossing, obviously there is no issue in principle. Taking your vehicle across to either Myanmar or Laos is, I believe, pretty involved to arrange. Perhaps, someone who has tried to do it will add their comment.

On 14/07/2017 at 3:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is the Ban Laem crossing to Cambodia.

The closest one to Bangkok is the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar that is in Kanchanaburi province. No visa sticker there just a pay 500 baht for a border pass.

950 Baht + 10 Baht for photocopying. No way round this cost.

On 15/07/2017 at 0:49 PM, PeCeDe said:

Thanks, I readily admit to being nervous to cross the border at this time. With all the stories of people being refused admittance back into Thailand despite having valid visas but missing one seemingly minor item, (of course these stories could be lacking complete honesty)  I think this means a degree of caution is required.

Fortunately, I learned today the visa company I use for transport to and from Cambodia has changed it's crossing point and no longer goes through Poipet, so I feel more comfortable.

I have an METV (second one). I have been "hassled" by Immigration Officers twice, both times at Suvannaphum. So maybe this poster's nervousness is justified.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2017 at 5:08 AM, BritTim said:

I assume you mean border runs. Some do it (not sure about numbers). If you leave your vehicle on the Thai side of the border crossing, obviously there is no issue in principle. Taking your vehicle across to either Myanmar or Laos is, I believe, pretty involved to arrange. Perhaps, someone who has tried to do it will add their comment.

I have done border runs to Laos on my motorbike. It actually makes the re-entry to Thailand easier with regards to visas as all the focus is on the vehicle. Loads of info in the motor forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I have an METV (second one). I have been "hassled" by Immigration Officers twice, both times at Suvannaphum. So maybe this poster's nervousness is justified.

What is meant by "hassled"? 

Were you refused entry? 

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

What is meant by "hassled"? 

Were you refused entry? 

1. Aggressive and illogical questioning.

"Why you no visa?" (I do/did have an METV)

"Why you go Mukdahan?" (Because Mukdahan is a permanent border crossing, I had entered there)

"Why you walking?" (This one confused me. What did she mean? I think she meant I did an 'in-out' which I did not. I told her I went on my motorbike which I did and I spent 5 days in Southern Laos)

"Next time you visa" (Well, the next time I used the very same METV as it was still valid)

And then as quickly as the accusations had begun, they evaporated and I was allowed to pass.

2. No.

• Like 1

I have back to back METVs as well, albeit I'm not spending a ton of time in thailand at a time anymore (5 days max per trip, every 2-3 weeks)

A couple times immigration at suwannnaphum has asked how long i'd be spending , and the occasional flip back and forth between metv1 and metv2 ... (metv2 was issued about 3 weeks after metv1 expired)

if it ever becomes an issue i'll probably just buy thai elite, just a bit of a hassle as im under 20.

• Like 1

Just done my second exit and re-entry on. My first METV out to KL and back in next day to don muang absolutely no issues or questions at all just stamped through for another 60 days with this stamp expiring after my METV expiration date - next and last in out will be re entering 2 days before METV expiy so Hoping for another trouble free 60 day stamp then 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cheesus said:

Hello

597c9dba6faf1_NewDoc2017-07-29_1.thumb.jpg.d5c84ec42d65d3ee910d70271241eaef.jpg

Could anyone confirm if i will be able to enter Thailand on 31 August? Or does it need to be 30 August?

Yes you can enter before midnight on August 31st.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the USA and want to get the 6 month METV. I understand that I need to leave Thailand before 60 days but can get a 30 day extension on that (for a total of 90 days). I need to show the LA consulate proof of my flight leaving Thailand. Here's my question:

Should I schedule the outbound flight to leave Thailand before the 60 days is up, or is it ok to schedule it before the 90 days is up?

I'm in the USA and want to get the 6 month METV. I understand that I need to leave Thailand before 60 days but can get a 30 day extension on that (for a total of 90 days). I need to show the LA consulate proof of my flight leaving Thailand. Here's my question:

Should I schedule the outbound flight to leave Thailand before the 60 days is up, or is it ok to schedule it before the 90 days is up?
I'm getting an METV again and I'm scheduling my flight back for 8 months. You don't need to schedule it back 60 or 90 days, book it when you intend to fly out.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, Santogold said:

I'm getting an METV again and I'm scheduling my flight back for 8 months. You don't need to schedule it back 60 or 90 days, book it when you intend to fly out.

Correct.

I book my flight with the return leg (back to Farangland) approximately 5 months after the outward leg when I apply for my METV. This is fine. I should say this is not with the LA consulate.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Santogold said:

As the maximum permission to stay thats granted on entry with this visa is 60 days the outbound tickets should dated within 60 days of your planned entry, however, most consular services would not enforce that and have their own policies. You should be ok with 90 days, but it is best to ask LA directly.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 8:14 AM, YetAnother said:

does the METV involve a re-entry permit (and the attendant fee) ?

As Ubon Joe says.

However, if you were to make an entry on the expiry date of the visa to squeeze another 60 days out of the visa, any exit during this 60-day period (after the visa expiry date) would need a re-entry permit if you wanted to come back in and keep the same permission to stay until date.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 11:10 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 8/7/2017 at 10:32 AM, Santogold said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I just called the LA consulate (should have done this before, obviously, haha). They said the flight out of thailand date is up to me, so can be anytime within the 6 months.

I don't understand this. US residents need to be employed to apply for this visa!!!!

Unless you have been 10 years in the company and are given sabatic leave of some sort, no one I know will have a job when they return from 6 months in Thailand. Stupid requirement. I am between jobs and I wanted to stay 3 to 6 months in thailand. I am probably best enrolling in a thai language school and get a 90 day visa.