The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

On 10/28/2017 at 9:42 PM, elviajero said:

Yes you can extend any of your 60 day stays by 30 days. You apply at your local immigration office which costs 1,900 baht.

I did not know this.

I got my METV at the very end of August and entered Thailand in September. I just did my first 60 days (went to UK for 10 days). I'm now stamped until 23rd January. My visa expires on the 28th February and I have a flight back to the UK booked for 26th April. I was planning on going somewhere in January before my next 60 days is up, then again before 28th February to take me up until the end of April. So, am I right in thinking I only need to go once? I can either extend before January 23rd, then leave for somewhere or leave in January and then extend in March?

12 minutes ago, Timbob said:

I did not know this.

I got my METV at the very end of August and entered Thailand in September. I just did my first 60 days (went to UK for 10 days). I'm now stamped until 23rd January. My visa expires on the 28th February and I have a flight back to the UK booked for 26th April. I was planning on going somewhere in January before my next 60 days is up, then again before 28th February to take me up until the end of April. So, am I right in thinking I only need to go once? I can either extend before January 23rd, then leave for somewhere or leave in January and then extend in March?

You can extend your current 60 day entry for 30 days then go out and back for another 60 day entry as long as you do it on or before the enter before date on your visa. Then you could extend that entry for 30 days if needed.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can extend your current 60 day entry for 30 days then go out and back for another 60 day entry as long as you do it on or before the enter before date on your visa. Then you could extend that entry for 30 days if needed.

Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit confused as you're saying I can extend twice, unless you meant to say "or your could extend" rather than "then you could extend". Someone else said it's only possible to extend once.

Due to the date of my return flight I would have to extend twice and leave once, or leave twice before the 28th February. If I knew I could extend at least one of the 60 days then I'd have changed my return flight by a few days, but oh well. Good to know for next time!

4 minutes ago, Timbob said:

Thanks for the info. I'm still a bit confused as you're saying I can extend twice, unless you meant to say "or your could extend" rather than "then you could extend". Someone else said it's only possible to extend once.

You can extend every 60 day entry from your visa for 30 days one time. You are not restricted to one extension overall for the 60 day entries you can get from your visa. 

You could do an extension of the entry you have now and then get a new 60 day entry and extend it if you wanted to.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You can extend every 60 day entry from your visa for 30 days one time. You are not restricted to one extension overall for the 60 day entries you can get from your visa. 

You could do an extension of the entry you have now and then get a new 60 day entry and extend it if you wanted to.

Right, understood. Thank you.

I may see about changing my flight back in this case, as I booked it to be around 60 days from when the visa expires, not knowing I could have had another 30 days. 

Hi,

I have a problem with my current entry stamp. I can't read it correctly.

I got the 6 month multiply entry tourist visa and traveled to Thailand on Sunday.

As I understand I should get a 60 day entry stamp, correct? Did the officer made a mistake? Can you tell me what the stamp says?

Thanks in advance.

Lammbock

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lammbock said:

I have a problem with my current entry stamp. I can't read it correctly.

I got the 6 month multiply entry tourist visa and traveled to Thailand on Sunday.

As I understand I should get a 60 day entry stamp, correct? Did the officer made a mistake? Can you tell me what the stamp says?

Not sure what that is in front of the 1 on the stamp since it is higher than the 1.

If they only gave you 30 days in error January 1st is the correct date. If 60 days it would be January 31st.

I suggest you go to a immigration office to get it sorted out since to me it looks like they only gave you 30 days.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what that is in front of the 1 on the stamp since it is higher than the 1.

If they only gave you 30 days in error January 1st is the correct date. If 60 days it would be January 31st.

I suggest you go to a immigration office to get it sorted out since to me it looks like they only gave you 30 days.

I will fly to Hong Kong before Christmas so I should be safe.

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Always best to check they are using the correct stamp. Maybe the visa number wasn't written on the arrival card?

I did write the visa number on the arrival card.

The Immigration Officer has spotted the visa as there is a TR stamp.

The problem appears to be that the '3' of '31 Jan' has not printed on the passport. This is possibly as the wheel that allows for adjustment of the date on the stamp may have shifted round.

Since you are leaving before 1 Jan 2018, the issue becomes moot.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, AlexPulse said:

On my first entry (BKK) I recieved stamp USED on Multy visa (Tourist), what does it mean?

I planned my border run in February but now don't understand what to do..

Thanks in advance.

That appears to be an error - as if he didn't notice the "multiple" on the visa.  It is normal to stamp "USED" on a single-entry tourist visa. 

You could try to have it fixed at your local immigration office, though they might send you back to your entry-point and tell you only the place that made the error can correct it.  I would hope they would cross-out the "USED" stamp, and initial / annotate that this was done in error.

It is also possible you could continue to use it as-is, but could cause a kerfuffle each time you enter, as they (IO and supervisor) try to sort out what happened.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That appears to be an error - as if he didn't notice the "multiple" on the visa.  It is normal to stamp "USED" on a single-entry tourist visa. 

You could try to have it fixed at your local immigration office, though they might send you back to your entry-point and tell you only the place that made the error can correct it.  I would hope they would cross-out the "USED" stamp, and initial / annotate that this was done in error.

It is also possible you could continue to use it as-is, but could cause a kerfuffle each time you enter, as they (IO and supervisor) try to sort out what happened.

Thank you
p.s. and my wife has same issue - same date, same visa, same officer..

1 hour ago, AlexPulse said:

On my first entry (BKK) I recieved stamp USED on Multy visa (Tourist), what does it mean?

I planned my border run in February but now don't understand what to do..

That stamp is an error. The officer probably did not notice it was a multiple entry visa.

The stamp should not be done unless it is a single entry visa or after the visa has expired in your case.

You should go to an immigration office to have the error corrected.

34 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Only the most pedant office would do that. The majority will correct the error.

Hi All, 

The time is soon approaching where I am considering trying to obtain another metv visa back to back, I plan on flying back to my home country mid march next year 2017, this if successful this will be my 4th time on the 6 month(well actually 9 month visa if played right)

I usually fly back to sydney for about a week to obtain the visa, however as i like to get my ducks in a row well in advance, its seems the thai sydney consulate has cracked down, well i guess they are asking for more evidence to prove your a "tourist" . for my last 3 visas, all I needed was the form, photo, and bank statement, however looking at the visa form now its somewhat asking for way to much information, 

You can view the pdf here,

https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/visitor-visa/visa-application-form.pdf

However it seem the actual embassy in canberra is currently using the old forms that dont require so much information,

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Perhaps I should just use the embassy? but I have a feeling they might update the forms on the website soon,  however in the past the sydney consulate were very relxaed about handing out metv,

Another option I am considering is just to bite the bullet and buy the pe/elite 5 year visa, as it almost cost the same flying back to sydney, ie flights, accommodation,

Your thoughts? has anyone tried obtaining a 4th metv from sydney back to back?

15 minutes ago, kmw said:

Hi All, 

The time is soon approaching where I am considering trying to obtain another metv visa back to back, I plan on flying back to my home country mid march next year 2017, this if successful this will be my 4th time on the 6 month(well actually 9 month visa if played right)

I usually fly back to sydney for about a week to obtain the visa, however as i like to get my ducks in a row well in advance, its seems the thai sydney consulate has cracked down, well i guess they are asking for more evidence to prove your a "tourist" . for my last 3 visas, all I needed was the form, photo, and bank statement, however looking at the visa form now its somewhat asking for way to much information, 

You can view the pdf here,

https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/visitor-visa/visa-application-form.pdf

However it seem the actual embassy in canberra is currently using the old forms that dont require so much information,

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Perhaps I should just use the embassy? but I have a feeling they might update the forms on the website soon,  however in the past the sydney consulate were very relxaed about handing out metv,

Another option I am considering is just to bite the bullet and buy the pe/elite 5 year visa, as it almost cost the same flying back to sydney, ie flights, accommodation,

Your thoughts? has anyone tried obtaining a 4th metv from sydney back to back?

for what it's worth... i've had METV's for six months of every year since they started. the last three entries i've been steadily questioned more about why i'm here. i've decided i avoid the hassle and get a retirement visa.

22 minutes ago, samsensam said:

for what it's worth... i've had METV's for six months of every year since they started. the last three entries i've been steadily questioned more about why i'm here. i've decided i avoid the hassle and get a retirement visa.

Hi, thanks for your reply, i am in my mid 30's so the retirement visa is not an option for me unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Goonerandy said:

Can I only be a METV from my home country, or can I get one at a nearby consulate?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Home country unless youre officially resident in a nearby country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goonerandy said:

Can I only be a METV from my home country, or can I get one at a nearby consulate?

Almost without exception, only from your home country. If you are a long term resident of a third country, you might be able to get it there.  Further, there have been isolated reports of special exceptions made for UK and US nationals applying in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my 4th METV. The visa sticker has a new design, and the 'Enter before' naming changed to 'Valid until'. Does anyone know if it still has the same meaning? So can you still enter 1 day before the finish date and get 2 extra months (60 days)?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rudyv said:

I just received my 4th METV. The visa sticker has a new design, and the 'Enter before' naming changed to 'Valid until'. Does anyone know if it still has the same meaning? So can you still enter 1 day before the finish date and get 2 extra months (60 days)?

Yes you will get the same 60 days.

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Valid until means something different than enter before so you probably don't have to enter one day before that date but can enter on the day itself.

Both mean the same thing. You can enter on the enter date before that shows on the old stickers or the the valid until date.

The enter before date means before midnight on that day.

4 minutes ago, iknowitsaphase said:

Anyone activate their METV through airport immigration recently? I'm just wondering if an onward ticket is required at immigration because I plan to do my second entry via land crossing

If you have a valid visa of any type a return or onward ticket is not required.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine is coming to stay for 4 months and asked me the best type of visa to get.

He then said he will will be going to the Philippines for 2 or 3 weeks whilst he is here.

I suppose depending on the timing, he could do 30 day visa exempt then extend for 30

days and then when he gets back from the Philippines do another visa exempt and

entend extend again for 30 days.

I think an METV would be easier?

I am way out of date on the latest visas and would appreciate some advice please.

Thanks for your help

An METV sounds suitable for him.

It will cost him around 5000 Baht (in local currency) as opposed to 1000 Baht (in local currency) for an SETV. However he will then save 1900 Baht by probably not having to do an extension (depends on the timing of his Philippine trip).

In addition, all the hassle of visas and immigration offices is dealt with upfront before he comes.