The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

20 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

With the stupid requirements of embassies/consulates now requiring METV applicants to provide a copy of an airline ticket indicating date of arrival to and departure from Thailand, has anyone submitted a "dummy" airline ticket for a departure ticket out of Thailand within 60 days of their 1st entry?

Yes, it is stupid, but I would not recommend using something "faked" to apply for a visa or otherwise with authorities.  They can flaunt/break laws at will - but you and I cannot. 

The best solution is a cheap "real" ticket to a nearby country, which can be used to meet this requirement.  It's a wasted 1000 or so Baht, which could otherwise have been spent in Thailand at Thai businesses - but that's how it is.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, it is stupid, but I would not recommend using something "faked" to apply for a visa or otherwise with authorities.  They can flaunt/break laws at will - but you and I cannot. 

The best solution is a cheap "real" ticket to a nearby country, which can be used to meet this requirement.  It's a wasted 1000 or so Baht, which could otherwise have been spent in Thailand at Thai businesses - but that's how it is.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "dummy" airline ticket. I read there are sites where you can make an actual booking for a ticket but don't have to pay for the ticket until a few days in the future, so that ticket and the PRN Code you get immediately which are all legit and can be submitted to any Visa application for any country around the world. I'm wondering if the Thai embassies/consulates actually check the PRN code though or not.

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

With the stupid requirements of embassies/consulates now requiring METV applicants to provide a copy of an airline ticket indicating date of arrival to and departure from Thailand, has anyone submitted a "dummy" airline ticket for a departure ticket out of Thailand within 60 days of their 1st entry? Considerisng that after 60 days you can extend for 30 days at immigration this is a very stupid idiotic rule they have placed on us all!! Not to mention that lots of people will book their ticket out of Thailand once they arrive, or some might cross the border by land, not plane.

Apparently there are some airline booking sites where this can be done where you actually get a confirmed booking that you can pay within a few days but get the PRN Code which can be checked to validate it's a legit booking, if they were to actually check it. I can't seem to find a site that works anymore though that gives the PRN Code. Does anyone if embassies/consulates will check the PRN Code or a site that actually works to give it?

Liverpool Consulate require a ticket. I buy a 6-month return departing from Manchester (a real ticket, I use it). That is fine with them.

I don't think it is either "stupid" or "idiotic" given the nature of the visa and the fact that along with the air ticket, applicants have to submit documents showing they are returning for work in their home country.

Just my experience and opinion.

Liverpool Consulate require a ticket. I buy a 6-month return departing from Manchester (a real ticket, I use it). That is fine with them.

I don't think it is either "stupid" or "idiotic" given the nature of the visa and the fact that along with the air ticket, applicants have to submit documents showing they are returning for work in their home country.

Expecting a ticket out in 60 days is stupid, but if they are flexible to see a flight out some time later, my flight out was 8 months, that was ok too. I applied Sep 17. Has the rule been tightened up further since then?

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Expecting a ticket out in 60 days is stupid, but if they are flexible to see a flight out some time later, my flight out was 8 months, that was ok too. I applied Sep 17. Has the rule been tightened up further since then?

Does probably depend on the country, in Germany i didn't need a flight out 2 weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Sydney told me the ticket out of Thailand needed to be within 60 days. Last year they required no airline tickets into or out of Thailand at all.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Where did you apply? Sydney?

On 6/5/2018 at 1:22 PM, bbi1 said:

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "dummy" airline ticket. I read there are sites where you can make an actual booking for a ticket but don't have to pay for the ticket until a few days in the future, so that ticket and the PRN Code you get immediately which are all legit and can be submitted to any Visa application for any country around the world. I'm wondering if the Thai embassies/consulates actually check the PRN code though or not.

I would guess the verification-policy depends on where you apply - and might vary by what else they see in your passport (previous visits).  To be on the safe-side, I would be sure the PRN would be valid just in case.  It's small-insurance to avoid a much bigger potential headache. 

As well, if flying in (I suggest *not* flying-in, if here for longer durations), you could run into an IO who decides to put you through the wringer.  The more you have to make your case the better, and a valid ticket might help.

Both "might" cases are just speculation - what I would imagine could happen - not based on any known pattern.

Edited by JackThompson

I'm thinking of an METV next year, for the flexibility. It looks as though you can only get one from your own country though (in my case the UK). I want the last entry to be in November or December but that means applying in May or June, and I don't want to be in the UK then.

I am half thinking about making a postal application from somewhere in the region (not Thailand itself) but obviously you have to send your passport, so the consulate would see an entry stamp without a corresponding exit stamp.

Do you folks out there think that would be a problem (I am betting yes...)

If so, is there anywhere in the region that does not stamp you out?

I suppose the other way to do it would be to apply for a new passport and have that sent to the consulate with the visa application, but I can see myself having trouble leaving the country I'd entered on the old passport if I do that.

TIA

I'm thinking of an METV next year, for the flexibility. It looks as though you can only get one from your own country though (in my case the UK). I want the last entry to be in November or December but that means applying in May or June, and I don't want to be in the UK then.

I am half thinking about making a postal application from somewhere in the region (not Thailand itself) but obviously you have to send your passport, so the consulate would see an entry stamp without a corresponding exit stamp.

Do you folks out there think that would be a problem (I am betting yes...)

If so, is there anywhere in the region that does not stamp you out?

I suppose the other way to do it would be to apply for a new passport and have that sent to the consulate with the visa application, but I can see myself having trouble leaving the country I'd entered on the old passport if I do that.

TIA

Living upto your name. If you can't get the METV in the UK then you'll need to rely on SETVs from countries neighbouring Thailand

44 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

You can only apply by post when physically in the UK.

Trying to do otherwise is asking for problems.

1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

TIA

Why would it be a problem? The country you were in would have no idea about your new passport.

@Artful Dodger

In answer to your question, Hong Kong. Though, be aware, it is not what you should do. How long will you have to wait for your passport back? 2 or 3 weeks? What will you do in the meantime? There are so many ways this scheme could backfire. Why not just fly to the UK? You can get a return for 20,000 Baht.

I assume you have read all the stipulations on the embassy/consulate website and think you can satisfy them.

4 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

You can switch passports "in the air" if arriving at an airport (except possibly when flying into Laos, per a report), but not crossing land borders. 

You would get the visa in the 2nd passport, leave the country where you are staying on the 1st passport by air, and then enter Thailand (or another country) on the 2nd passport.  I met someone once who did this in-perpetuity with METVs; a family-member back in his home-country did the in-country mailing to the Thai consulate for him. 

Be sure you are not in Thailand on the date the visa is applied-for/issued, or your immigration-history, combined with the visa-issued date, could be used to prove you obtained the visa in contradiction to the rules (must be outside Thailand when the application is lodged).

The primary downside is, you'd need to either risk dealing with unpredictable Thai airport immigration for each new METV / new-passport entry, or do the passport swap on a flight between 2 other countries, then cross-in through a law-abiding land border, where no "invented rules" would be used to deny your entry.

Thanks guys.

I'm surprised immigration would not know that the old passport had been cancelled - I would have thought the systems would be networked together in such a way that it would be flagged up.

Do we know what the (London) consulate is looking for on the tax return that self-employed people have to submit with the application? Is it a certain level of income, or an ongoing business in the UK, or what? I am winding down and the point will come when the tax return does not show very much.

For me the benefit of the METV is that you can come and go more or less as you please. I think the only other way to achieve that (ignoring visa exempt entries) is to get an Elite card. I am not sure about the retirement visas but am not old enough yet anyway.

Do we know what the (London) consulate is looking for on the tax return that self-employed people have to submit with the application? Is it a certain level of income, or an ongoing business in the UK, or what? I am winding down and the point will come when the tax return does not show very much.

I always provide a company reg doc and self assessment, they give the SA a cursory look, i think the most important thing is the £6k in the bank

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I always provide a company reg doc and self assessment, they give the SA a cursory look, i think the most important thing is the £6k in the bank

I concur. My experience in the Liverpool Consulate, not the London Embassy, is that the focus is on the bank statement and that it meets the stipulation. The employment/self-employment letter/documentation is given a quick read but it is the bank statement where scrutiny is given. The balance must not have dropped under £5000 for a continuous period of 6 months and the account should be instant access or similar, not a fixed term deposit.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Do they pay attention to other holdings such as stocks, mutual funds etc.? 

To be honest - my transaction account has not been 6k+ for 6 months. But I do have many times that in mutual funds and stocks, hmm...

When I get mine from the UK Liverpool Thai Consulate, they are strict about the money requirement. They request that the balance is maintained over £5000 for the whole 6 months and that the money be in an instant access account.

I also have a fund portfolio which theoretically would qualify. I take a statement from the portfolio along to the Consulate in case they reject everything else. I have never had the chance to discover if it would be accepted as they have always accepted one of the bank accounts.

Basically, you just need one qualifying account and you have satisfied that requirement.

p.s. Why are people talking about £6000 when the stipulation is for £5000?

Edited by Briggsy

When I get mine from the UK Liverpool Thai Consulate, they are strict about the money requirement. They request that the balance is maintained over £5000 for the whole 6 months and that the money be in an instant access account.

I also have a fund portfolio which theoretically would qualify. I take a statement from the portfolio along to the Consulate in case they reject everything else. I have never had the chance to discover if it would be accepted as they have always accepted one of the bank accounts.

Basically, you just need one qualifying account and you have satisfied that requirement.

p.s. Why are people talking about £6000 when the stipulation is for £5000?

From the guidance notes:

a) Original bank statement showing a balance of at least £5000 or a printout with official stamp of the bank.

It doesn't specify for the whole 6 month period. A couple of years ago the consulate said she only needed the final balance statement. Saves a tree

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

From the guidance notes:

a) Original bank statement showing a balance of at least £5000 or a printout with official stamp of the bank.

It doesn't specify for the whole 6 month period. A couple of years ago the consulate said she only needed the final balance statement. Saves a tree

First time I got one, the requirement sheet said 6 month period. More recently (March) the requirement sheet didn't have this mentioned on it, but I went with 6 months of statements to be safe.

When I applied for it I asked if it was necessary to show 6 months of balance, as it used to be on the sheet, but wasn't anymore. She said no. This was at Glasgow

• Like 1

For those of you that have got a METV in the US, preferably through NYC consulate, have you ever had them call your employer to verify that you work at the company in your employment verification letter? 

For those of you who are self employed can you tell me exactly what would be needed when applying for the METV in the US? I have heard self assessment (no idea what this is) and tax return or business registration. I technically have filed a schedule C in addition to a W2 for many years but the income on the schedule C was very little or even a loss at times. 

Bizarrely, the NY site says:

To obtain multiple entry tourist visa, a certify letter from employer OR a letter from educational institution certifying a full-time student status is required.

What?

If it's any help, a UK tax return would show the profit and loss of each business, like a schedule C, as well as the income from employment that (I believe) would be on the employer's W2 in the US, and income or capital gains from other sources like property investments or bank interest. Self assessment and tax return are the same thing - so basically the document required in the UK covers all your income and capital gains tax, which may go on different forms in the US.

I still don't really understand why they want to see return / equivalent US documents, although the posts above were very clear in saying that it doesn't get much attention anyway.

One of the boxes on the UK form is along the lines of 'in the relevant tax year, were you... not resident in the UK'. Not sure whether that box gets more attention...

Hey all, sorry for the late reply, I am the guy that has been doing back to back metv for the last few years and on my 4th metv the Visa label was accidently stamped as used at chiang mai airport, 

Anyway all is fine, on my 60 day entry everything was fine however the IO did state that the previous IO must have accidentally stamped my Visa, he said it wont be any issues as it's clear I have a metv and that its obvious the other IO stamped it by mistake 

• Like 1

I'm about to make a 1st trip to Thailand.
I first looked into this a year or more ago and got some great input here, but I know things keep changing, so would appreciate advice on the following:

I'm planning to spend 3 months in SE Asia - mainly Thailand but also some neighboring countries.
No set itinerary other than arriving and leaving from Bangkok.

I was planning to get the SE Tourist Visa from one of the US Thai Consulates.
Use that for the flight and initial entry and after visiting  a neighboring country reenter on the Visa Exempt 30 day rule.
As I understand it currently, there should (hopefully) be no problem doing this twice during my 3 month travels.

Then return to the US, and make a trip back to Thailand after approx. 2 months with the intent of living there - once there eventually switching to the annual Retirement extension (may be the incorrect term - the over 55 retirement 1 year deal).

I'm wondering if at this time I would be better served getting the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa for the initial 3 month visit, which is a bit more of a hassle (need employer letter, hotel reservation).
I'd rather get the SE which is less hassle and cheaper ($40 USD rather than $200).

Also wondering after initial visit to Thailand and return to the US, what best way to return to Thailand after about 2 months would be?
I'm probably not allowed to get another SE Tourist Visa so soon after the first?
And my understanding is that planning to enter Visa exempt for my 2nd trip, there is a potential problem with the airline not allowing me to board, and/or that Thai immigration could possibly deny me entry without a Visa?

The reason I was considering the ME Tourist Visa for the initial trip is I wouldn't show any Visa Exempt entries on my passport which may make it easier to get in Visa Exempt for the 2nd trip to Thailand?

What would you experts recommend for my situation for both trips there?
Why not buy a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country from any airport in Thailand. Buying it in advance it could cost as little as 1000 baht.

When you buy the "throw away" ticket, why not add travel insurance on it? You should be able to:
A) get the full refund of ticket, or
B) get a voucher credit that can be used for a new ticket (same airline or booking agent)

So it is not a complete loss. And you can just roll it into another ticket.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Considering Airbnb is technical illegal in Thailand for condo buildings, is it possible to use an airbnb reservation when applying for a METV for a US citizen? I currently have an Airbnb reservation in BKK for the first 4 days and then I plan to book a couple hotels in Phuket for 7 days. Should I show both the airbnb and the hotel reservations to the consulate or do I need to book a hotel instead of the airbnb? I will be applying in NYC.

Edited by DR0832

31 minutes ago, DR0832 said:

Considering Airbnb is technical illegal in Thailand for condo buildings, is it possible to use an airbnb reservation when applying for a METV for a US citizen? I currently have an Airbnb reservation in BKK for the first 4 days and then I plan to book a couple hotels in Phuket for 7 days. Should I show both the airbnb and the hotel reservations to the consulate or do I need to book a hotel instead of the airbnb? I will be applying in NYC.

No problem for the Airbnb reservation. The embassy or one of the official consulates would not care about that,