The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

7 hours ago, DR0832 said:

Thanks. Any idea if I need to show more than the first 4 days reservation?

Four days should be a enough but it could depend upon where you apply. The embassy in DC does only mentions accommodation reservation with no length of time mentioned. The consulate just says a hotel reservation is needed.

Returning back to Pattaya from banpakard for last metv entry. Officer stamped my until stamp a day early. He recognised his own mistake and fixed it.

Just a reminder, check your stamp dates. I had already booked a flight so would have been 1 day overstay possibly.

Bus full of laotians . I was only falang. 

Returning back to Pattaya from banpakard for last metv entry. Officer stamped my until stamp a day early. He recognised his own mistake and fixed it.
Just a reminder, check your stamp dates. I had already booked a flight so would have been 1 day overstay possibly.
Bus full of laotians . I was only falang. 
I got an incorrect 30 day stamp a few months ago so definitely worth checking

Currently in Thailand on an METV . Must leave in a few days to honor the 60 day exit requirement. Will it be a problem if I choose to do a land exit/re-entry instead of air? Was considering one of the minivan services to 

Cambodia. Thanks for any help.

22 minutes ago, blix99 said:

Currently in Thailand on an METV . Must leave in a few days to honor the 60 day exit requirement. Will it be a problem if I choose to do a land exit/re-entry instead of air? Was considering one of the minivan services to 

I've been doing land with no hassle through agent for many years. I use one on soi bua khao, 2500 baht. Past sweet hearts bar on left heading south. I don't recommend you try without agent. 

29 minutes ago, blix99 said:

You could get a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry if you did not want to do a border run.

You can do your out and backs for a new 60 day at land border crossings.

Where are you staying at?

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry if you did not want to do a border run.

You can do your out and backs for a new 60 day at land border crossings.

Where are you staying at?

Staying in Jomtien. Close to Immigration but will likely to the land trip since I've never done one before.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I've been doing land with no hassle through agent for many years. I use one on soi bua khao, 2500 baht. Past sweet hearts bar on left heading south. I don't recommend you try without agent. 

Many thanks. Will check it out.

1 hour ago, blix99 said:

If you use a visa run service they won’t take you to a border crossing unless they are sure you’ll be allowed to exit/re-enter at the border they use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blix99 said:

Staying in Jomtien. Close to Immigration but will likely to the land trip since I've never done one before.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Absolutely no problem. I did precisely this last month. You will probably be the only Westerner on the bus. The rest will all be from Laos. No matter. 2500 Baht all in.

If you want Cambodian duty free, you have to be a bit clever because whilst your passport will appear to go to Cambodia, you certainly won't. You will sit near the Thai immigration counters. If you want booze, you can send a runner to Cambodia. If you want Cambodian cigarettes, you can buy them off vendors on the Thai side who hide them under a towel.

Check your Thai in stamp to ensure you receive another 60 days from your METV.

@DR0832

I only book one night when applying for an METV at the UK Liverpool Thai Consulate. That is fine with them.

Edited by Briggsy

33 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Absolutely no problem. I did precisely this last month. You will probably be the only Westerner on the bus. The rest will all be from Laos. No matter. 2500 Baht all in.

If you want Cambodian duty free, you have to be a bit clever because whilst your passport will appear to go to Cambodia, you certainly won't. You will sit near the Thai immigration counters. If you want booze, you can send a runner to Cambodia. If you want Cambodian cigarettes, you can buy them off vendors on the Thai side who hide them under a towel.

Check your Thai in stamp to ensure you receive another 60 days from your METV.

@DR0832

I only book one night when applying for an METV at the UK Liverpool Thai Consulate. That is fine with them.

Thanks for the very useful information!

What kind of info are people providing for the letter from employer section? I own a UK Ltd. company (ignore screen name) so I am my own boss.

Is it just the self assessment and company registration that is required, or do I have to provide additional documentation?

1 hour ago, AmericanMale said:

What kind of info are people providing for the letter from employer section? I own a UK Ltd. company (ignore screen name) so I am my own boss.

Is it just the self assessment and company registration that is required, or do I have to provide additional documentation?

Same situation. Here is what I wrote in the letter from the employer:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I wish to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa to Thailand. I have included all the necessary paperwork.

I have included my company bank statements for the past 6 months, in addition to my personal account statements. These have been officially stamped by my bank. I am the sole owner / director of my company (xxxxxxxxx Ltd) and have immediate and unrestricted access to these funds. I trust this should satisfy the financial requirements.

Since I do not have an employer (technically I am ‘employed’ by my own company as a company director – but it would be odd to write a letter about me, from me) I have included my self-assessment tax return and a copy of my companies registration document.

I have also included a copy of my air ticket and my initial hotel reservation.

I have included a postal order for the amount of £135, to cover the visa fee and return postage of my passport.

Yours Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

Yes the self assessment and company reg doc, i did it last week

3 hours ago, AmericanMale said:

On the three occasions I applied I just showed the SA100 (self assessment form). This was at the Glasgow consulate. 

Edited by drh1010

My METV has expired on 26th May and I was due to leave the country on 21st July. I went to the immigration in Cheng Wattana, Bangkok and got an extension until 20th August. The price for this was 1,900 Baht but on top of that I paid an Agent to make me an "appointment" so I don't have to queue up all morning. I was in-and-out within 1hr.

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 09.26.48.png

Edited by Lammbock
autocorrect error

On 7/17/2018 at 9:25 AM, Lammbock said:

My METV has expired on 26th May and I was due to leave the country on 21st July. I went to the immigration in Cheng Wattana, Bangkok and got an extension until 20th August. The price for this was 1,900 Baht but on top of that I paid an Agent to make me an "appointment" so I don't have to queue up all morning. I was in-and-out within 1hr.

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 09.26.48.png

How much does it cost for these "Agents" to go to immigration for you and do the 30 day extension of stay? I always get annoyed when these "Agents" come in with 10 passports and jump the queue and take forever while others have to wait half a day or more.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonzboy

Guys,  I've been reading quite a lot of this thread but I confess not every page.  I'm thinking of an extended vacation in Thailand with some side trips elsewhere.  It seems an METV is my best bet.  I'm happy with all the requirements the UK Embassy require except for one.  I am retired, so how can I satisfy the requirements for employer letter or self employment documentation?  TIA.

1 hour ago, jonzboy said:

Guys,  I've been reading quite a lot of this thread but I confess not every page.  I'm thinking of an extended vacation in Thailand with some side trips elsewhere.  It seems an METV is my best bet.  I'm happy with all the requirements the UK Embassy require except for one.  I am retired, so how can I satisfy the requirements for employer letter or self employment documentation?  TIA.

I would say writing retired and showing your bank account statements be enough if your balance is in the tens or hundreds of thousands as it should be if you are retired.

2 hours ago, jonzboy said:

If you’re of retirement age you shouldn’t have a problem. Just include confirmation of your pension income.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:23 PM, bbi1 said:

How much does it cost for these "Agents" to go to immigration for you and do the 30 day extension of stay? I always get annoyed when these "Agents" come in with 10 passports and jump the queue and take forever while others have to wait half a day or more.

In chiang mai it cost about 1000 thb, so its peanuts and totally worth it, I've extended my metv 4 times so far and in and out within 15 minutes, just turn up and immigration takes a photo of you then your out 10 minutes later 

I can understand your concern however it's a service worth paying for, 

8 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Just wondering if people have been giving consulates flight details of their 2nd in/out entries in order to get their METV's?

It depends upon where you apply for the visa.

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Just wondering if people have been giving consulates flight details of their 2nd in/out entries in order to get their METV's?

At the Liverpool (U.K.) Thai consulate, I have just provided details of my return flight to the UK, dated 5 months on from the visa issue date. They are absolutely fine with this.

2 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

In Sydney, while the form does ask for a departure date, I just added a note stating as its a 6 month(9 month max) metv my departure is usually a land crossing for the departure, and they are fine with that 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kmw said:

In Sydney, while the form does ask for a departure date, I just added a note stating as its a 6 month(9 month max) metv my departure is usually a land crossing for the departure, and they are fine with that 

Sydney is fine with you not giving them a outgoing flight ticket out of the country within 60 days of your 1st entry and just writing on the form that you will make a land crossing? When was that??

Two months ago when I called them before applying for a new METV they repeatedly told me that I must show them a flight ticket out of the country within 60 days even though you can extend another 30 days at immigration, which that lady seemed a bit surprised it could be done even though I've told her I did it for many years.......but that's another story. Anyway, I had to waste money on buying a ticket out of the country within 60 days to fulfill their requirements.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Sydney is fine with you not giving them a outgoing flight ticket out of the country within 60 days of your 1st entry and just writing on the form that you will make a land crossing? When was that??

Two months ago when I called them before applying for a new METV they repeatedly told me that I must show them a flight ticket out of the country within 60 days even though you can extend another 30 days at immigration, which that lady seemed a bit surprised it could be done even though I've told her I did it for many years.......but that's another story. Anyway, I had to waste money on buying a ticket out of the country within 60 days to fulfill their requirements.

Last time I applied (in Sydney) I told them I'd take the land crossing out for the 2nd entry part, and they were ok but wanted to ask if anyone had any issues recently. I think the reason they told you that is because you called by phone, technically they're giving you the right information as set on their website

EDIT: Ohhhh my bad, I just re-read the application form. It says '(Second Entry (For double – entries visas only)'

Double enty visas only - that isn't the METV https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/visitor-visa/visa-application-form.pdf

Edited by Yeahbutwhytho

3 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Last time I applied (in Sydney) I told them I'd take the land crossing out for the 2nd entry part, and they were ok but wanted to ask if anyone had any issues recently. I think the reason they told you that is because you called by phone, technically they're giving you the right information as set on their website

EDIT: Ohhhh my bad, I just re-read the application form. It says '(Second Entry (For double – entries visas only)'

Double enty visas only - that isn't the METV https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/visitor-visa/visa-application-form.pdf

Yeah I only filled in the 1st entry on the form with the incoming and outgoing dates and needed to supply them with a ticket out within 60 days for the 1st date. 

Whenever I've applied in the past I just bring down everything including the kitchen sink.  They give me back what they don't need but have ample evidence that I don't need to work in Thailand and that I spend ample time out of the country.  Having said this, that was then.  I don't know how things are this month.

Has any US citizen gone to Guam, so they could 'be in their home country' and sent off their forms for the METV to the LA Thai Consulate?  Seems to be reasonably priced round trip flights ($260) from Manila.  Sure beats flying all the way back to CONUS to get one.