The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Sydney seems to still be offering Double Entry Tourist Visas for $90 while Canberra has stopped it & now offers METV for $225, if you look & compare their application forms between the 2 of them.

TR visa costs me 30/entry so 90 for triple entry (most common used in my case). no need for that expensive METV.

Thats ok if intending stay is 6 months, but you still have do border run and pay for each entry+ visa to neibouring country+ the extensions.

I think someone on here worked it out even though METV slightly more expensive up front,

have more flexibility and do only border runs, not pay for each entry plus border run and exta hassle of going to Vientane for more visa entrys

Ha!

I created my own spreadsheet (obviously tailored to my own personal circumstances) and discovered that over a 12-month period, adding in all visa run costs, extension fees, etc., one METV + one SETV came out at £390, whilst 4 SETV's came out at £420. But the 4 SETV's involved much more hassle.

Others will come up with different figures based on how often they go back to their home countries, how close to a border in Thailand they are, etc.

They could turn you down at any point, JLCrab, that's why I wouldn't buy a flight before visa, which they want.

The point being, I hire people on a short term basis (3/2 months) & if it's their 1st year accounts then I would have to supply a letter for any of them.

Genuine letter, or would they be alienated from this visa?

Beats me -- Anyone can employ anyone but that doesn't mean they qualify for a METV. Why don't you just ask the people in Liverpool?
Of course they qualify, they're gainfully employed & if they have the other requirements. But they still could be turned down.

Anyway, like I said, letter of employment should be no issue unless the Embassy makes it an issue.

These are the details I'm waiting for.

They could turn you down at any point, JLCrab, that's why I wouldn't buy a flight before visa, which they want.

The point being, I hire people on a short term basis (3/2 months) & if it's their 1st year accounts then I would have to supply a letter for any of them.

Beats me -- Anyone can employ anyone but that doesn't mean they qualify for a METV. Why don't you just ask the people in Liverpool?
Of course they qualify, they're gainfully employed & if they have the other requirements. But they still could be turned down.

Anyway, like I said, letter of employment should be no issue unless the Embassy makes it an issue.

Me too.

• Like 1

Well if they meet all the requirements then I guess they would qualify for a visa. But that is up to the individual consulate as to whether they qualify. This is their contact page. Why don't you ask them as to your particular circumstances? I'm a Yank and have no idea how someone in UK decides these things.

http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/contact.htm

But at a certain point, you are now asking how multiple persons that you gainfully employ on a short-term basis can all qualify for long-term tourist visas to Thailand, nyet?

Edited by JLCrab

Much Appreciated JLCrab.

I don't need the visa & not had someone ask for a letter of employment. It was a thought process on Briggsy's issue.

If I had time whilst I was in the UK I would of called into the embassy out of curiosity. But time wasn't a luxury I had.

Anyway I can wait a year or two until I may want this visa or see what other people report.

I have never called the UK from Thailand but regularly call the US. Above it was said "I hire people on a short term basis" not IF I hire people on a short term basis.

I monitor this as a back-stop just in case for some reason they monkey with the Extension via Retirement provisions (as some say on here: Just you wait you old farts -- you're next!)

Edited by JLCrab

I have never called the UK from Thailand but regularly call the US. Above it was said "I hire people on a short term basis" not IF I hire people on a short term basis

Well if any of them come to me for a letter I will go to the embassy on they're behalf, that's a given.

Yes but I guess that all depends on how much they would be willing to pay you to hire them.

I have never called the UK from Thailand but regularly call the US. Above it was said "I hire people on a short term basis" not IF I hire people on a short term basis

Well if any of them come to me for a letter I will go to the embassy on they're behalf, that's a given.

Yes but I guess that all depends on how much they would be willing to pay you to hire them.
No, not myself.

I don't need money to compromise myself like that. Would never happen.

But your catching some wind in your sails.

I think most embassies and consulates set the same requirement for mailed in applications and those done in person. Showing a ticket to here would eliminate any chance that a mailed in one was done from here or a neighboring country.

Can the ticket into Thailand be from Cambodia?

Maybe the person would like to travel there and other countries first? wink.png

If it states must have a valid ticket into Thailand, I would have thought they would also stipulate which country that ticket must be from if it's relevant?

Maybe it just means you must arrive by air as this visa cannot initially be validated at a border crossing.

Maybe we're just reading too much into everything

Maybe......

Maybe......

I dunno

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

No, not myself.

I don't need money to compromise myself like that. Would never happen.

But your catching some wind in your sails.

Fine -- but you were the one who said that you hire people on a short term basis.

I think most embassies and consulates set the same requirement for mailed in applications and those done in person. Showing a ticket to here would eliminate any chance that a mailed in one was done from here or a neighboring country.

If it states must have a valid ticket into Thailand, I would have thought they would also stipulate which country that ticket must be from if it's relevant?

Maybe it just means you must arrive by air as this visa cannot initially be validated at a border crossing.

I dunno

It seems that, if you apply for METV in UK, they want you to be in the UK at the time off application. Otherwise, a ticket from Cambodia to Thailand could mean that you are currently in Cambodia and your application may have arrived by mail from some third party within the UK who will then forward the visa and passport back to you in UK.

If you apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate in the UK, I guess that would all be moot.

Edited by JLCrab

I do hire people on a short term basis JLCrab, but not for the purpose of visa apps. For the purpose of developing 1 or 2 houses each year.

If they needed support in a visa app I would give it to them.

But then the people who working or you short term just happen to want to travel to Thailand multiple times during the times they are not actively working on one of your houses. As I said -- talk to the Embassy/Consulate and see what the y have to say.

I do hire people on a short term basis JLCrab, but not for the purpose of visa apps. For the purpose of developing 1 or 2 houses each year.

Glad to hear that you would provide a letter to these "short term " workers certifying that you have authorised a six month absence from work and stating a return to work date.

Providing "creative" documentation to secure advantage in the UK can be a criminal offense.

i would have thought a ticket Cambodia to Thailand would be ok

If you apply for your METV in person in UK it very well might be but I think you might have a problem trying to do it by mail.

The only place in UK that accepts mail applications for METV is apparently the Embassy in London. From Liverpool Consulate:

UK consulates can no longer accept postal applications, therefore an appointment must be made to visit the consulate personally. Please call 0151 255 0504. Alternatively, postal applications can be sent to the embassy in London.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

But then the people who working or you short term just happen to want to travel to Thailand multiple times during the times they are not actively working on one of your houses. As I said -- talk to the Embassy/Consulate and see what the y have to say.
Why would I have to? The way your reading/stating it I already have visa business up & running.

As I said...when I require a visa I'll go out & seek one.

Why would I have to? The way your reading/stating it I already have visa business up & running.

Please PM me a link to your UK visa business.

Seek on.

I dunno

It seems that, if you apply for METV in UK, they want you to be in the UK at the time off application. Otherwise, a ticket from Cambodia to Thailand could mean that you are currently in Cambodia and your application may have arrived by mail from some third party within the UK who will then forward the visa and passport back to you in UK.

If you apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate in the UK, I guess that would all be moot.

I understand what you are saying, but that's speculation, because that's not what they say.

They say you must have a valid ticket to Thailand, from where is not specified.

This could be a chink in their armour, not that these smart arse's would ever admit to having one.

Seek on.
Thank you,

There never was one will there ever be.

I dunno

I understand what you are saying, but that's speculation, because that's not what they say.

This could be a chink in their armour, not that these smart arse's would ever admit to having one.

The smart arse's would expect to see the person sitting in front of them when applying, or in the country if applying by post, so they would expect a ticket from the UK to Thailand. If the applicant could show a ticket to Cambodia followed by a ticket to Thailand I'm sure they would accept that.

I dunno

So why don't you mail in your a METV application to London Royal Thai Embassy with your 125 GBP and a ticket from Phnom Penh to Bangkok and see what happens?

The smart arse's would expect to see the person sitting in front of them when applying, or in the country if applying by post, so they would expect a ticket from the UK to Thailand. If the applicant could show a ticket to Cambodia followed by a ticket to Thailand I'm sure they would accept that.

Doesn't say any of the above, just says a ticket into Thailand.

Maybe I'm flying into Thailand June 1st and have a confirmed ticket booked from Pnom Penh on that date, but I'm still making a Cambodia itinerary and looking for cheapest fares. I don't have to use the visa the day it's issued, it has a sell by date thus allowing me time to complete plans in Cambodia.

Maybe they should re-word their requirements to 'must have a ticket from UK to Thailand, if that's in fact what they mean.

• Like 1