The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Because those who would be most likely to report on here of their successes or failures on METV won't be applying for another 3 to 6 months when their current Visas run out.

Not everyone on tv are xpats living here. There have been numerous people currently in home country that were posting questions about obtaining metv.

Because those who would be most likely to report on here of their successes or failures on METV won't be applying for another 3 to 6 months when their current Visas run out.

Not everyone on tv are xpats living here. There have been numerous people currently in home country that were posting questions about obtaining metv.

Sure -- but those aren't the ones now that the double and triple TV entries are nixed that everyone is waiting to hear from.

It was just two or three people asking about getting a METV in their home Country and they were advised to get a SETV .

The METV is good for very few people, especially Europeans .

Hi, I am about to apply for the METV (from Germany).

I am a bit confused about some of the requirements and would love some help, as I did not manage to reach the embassy over the phone yet:

- hotel booking confirmation: what qualifies for that? Would a 2 nights reservation on arrival at Bangkok for ex. would be accepted, or do we need to proove stay over the full first

entry (ie 60 days)

- flight ticket back to Germany: do you believe the return date has to be in the 6 months visa validity, or would a later date be accepted, as indeed the METV allows potentially to stay up to 9 months. And what about booking a return ticket for 12 months after? One could indeed stay 9 months in Thailand under METV, travel to a neighboring country for a few days / weeks and come back by land to catch the plane.

This VISA is quite pricey, moreover adding those flight return (that might potentially not be used) and hotel booking, so trying to make choices there to have the best chances to get my visa granted without spending too much money for the requirements.

For info, I already have in my passport this year a 30days exemption + extension (May 2015) + a double-entry (from July 2015)

Thanks for your help and happy to relate my experience!

With different Thai consulates putting different requirements for the METV on their websites it is evident that their is some degree of uncertainty and confusion. Only the consulate where you plan to apply can give you a definitive answer to your questions.

• Like 1

I am a bit confused about some of the requirements and would love some help, as I did not manage to reach the embassy over the phone yet:

- hotel booking confirmation: what qualifies for that? Would a 2 nights reservation on arrival at Bangkok for ex. would be accepted, or do we need to proove stay over the full first

entry (ie 60 days)

- flight ticket back to Germany: do you believe the return date has to be in the 6 months visa validity, or would a later date be accepted, as indeed the METV allows potentially to stay up to 9 months. And what about booking a return ticket for 12 months after? One could indeed stay 9 months in Thailand under METV, travel to a neighboring country for a few days / weeks and come back by land to catch the plane.

This VISA is quite pricey, moreover adding those flight return (that might potentially not be used) and hotel booking, so trying to make choices there to have the best chances to get my visa granted without spending too much money for the requirements.

For info, I already have in my passport this year a 30days exemption + extension (May 2015) + a double-entry (from July 2015)

The flight out of Thailand and booking can be made so they are fully refundable. Possibly, the flight does not have to be a "return to Germany" flight, but rather an inexpensive flight to Malaysia - depending on the policy of your consulate.

Please do let us know what is requested by your consulate when you inquire. And if you are successful, please reply with the details, so as to aid others in Germany who consider the METV.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for your replies!

@JackThompson: refundable ticket is a good idea. I've had previous bad experiences about "tickets with changes permitted", where at the end you pay more than just booking for a new trip, so usually I book the cheapest flight I can find, if I catch it good, otherwise I just book another flight. So never thought about refundable tickets but will have a look then for sure thks for the tip.

@Maestro: Yeah... I guess I might just have to go to the embassy once beforehand and ask directly, indeed... I hoped there were some "common rules" for those specific requirements for visa(s) in Thailand, as the local embassies websites really don't give much details besides "hotel confirmation for one entry at least", or "return or onward flight ticket confirmation".

@alocacoc: form what I read (on forums only / not confirmed), a return back to Germany is required.
I'll pay a visit on tuesday to the embassy and will report feedbacks, if anyone has tips or infos until then regarding hotel booking or flight return ticket, I am happy to take them

Went the other day to my local consulate in the US

Gave my passport, 1 picture, application. $200. U.S.

5 minutes later had multiple entry same as getting double entry. Your results may vary

Never heard of an on the spot visa. Which consulate and did you provide any other docs. You state pic application form and dosh.

What ? No proof of finds, no plane tickets etc etc

• Like 2

Went the other day to my local consulate in the US

Gave my passport, 1 picture, application. $200. U.S.

5 minutes later had multiple entry same as getting double entry. Your results may vary

Never heard of an on the spot visa. Which consulate and did you provide any other docs. You state pic application form and dosh.

What ? No proof of finds, no plane tickets etc etc

Used to be like this in the UK though was 20-30 minutes.

Would certainly be interesting to know more.

• Like 1

Liverpool have now updated their website. Their stipulations look in line with the London Embassy.

To apply for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa; (METV), an applicant is required to submit the following documents for consideration:

1. A completed application form with 2 identical professionally printed photographs (45mm high x 35mm wide);
2. A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application;
3. Proof of resident status in the UK or Ireland (Passport or UK/Ireland residence card) along with a photocopy;
4. Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print-out with official stamp of the bank.
5. A letter from the applicant’s employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Consulate) stating length of service and expected return to work. If you are self-employed your self-assessment form.
6. A photocopy of the confirmed air ticket to Thailand;
7. A photocopy of the hotel reservation confirmation in Thailand.

- hotel bookingarrow-10x10.png confirmation: what qualifies for that? Would a 2 nights reservation on arrival at Bangkok for ex. would be accepted, or do we need to proove stay over the full first

entry (ie 60 days)

This VISA is quite pricey, moreover adding those flight return (that might potentially not be used) and hotel bookingarrow-10x10.png, so trying to make choices there to have the best chances to get my visa granted without spending too much money for the requirements.

The Thai Embassy doesn't really care on what day your flight goes back to Germany. Can be in one year. If they ask you tell them you want to visit Bali and possible Australia.

A ticket into Thailand could be done by buying a refundable ticket (if one was in a country nearby to Thailand) but that would be an expensive way to go to wait for a refund and any cancellation fees. My guess is that an Embassy/Consulate in another country has a phone number to call as a 'diplomatic courtesy' to verify that a given country/passport number has entered or has not entered their host country.

Edited by JLCrab

It is number 5, the letter from the employer that concerns me. All the rest are manageable.

I am sure that an official letter stating someone was unemployed or retired would meet the need.

Very few (if any) employed people could absent themselves from work for a period in excess of 6 months.smile.png

• Like 2

It is number 5, the letter from the employer that concerns me. All the rest are manageable.

I am sure that an official letter stating someone was unemployed or retired would meet the need.

Very few (if any) employed people could absent themselves from work for a period in excess of 6 months.smile.png

I hope you are right.

I will await reports.

I think most embassies and consulates set the same requirement for mailed in applications and those done in person. Showing a ticket to here would eliminate any chance that a mailed in one was done from here or a neighboring country.

OK ... explains why they ask for the ticket (sort of, as postal applications in Liverpool are not accepted). What about the hotel reservations?

Sydney seems to still be offering Double Entry Tourist Visas for $90 while Canberra has stopped it & now offers METV for $225, if you look & compare their application forms between the 2 of them.

TR visa costs me 30€/entry so 90€ for triple entry (most common used in my case). no need for that expensive METV.

Sydney seems to still be offering Double Entry Tourist Visas for $90 while Canberra has stopped it & now offers METV for $225, if you look & compare their application forms between the 2 of them.

TR visa costs me 30€/entry so 90€ for triple entry (most common used in my case). no need for that expensive METV.

Only single entry and multiple entry tourist visas are available now. The METV has replaced the 2 and 3 entry visas.

TR visa costs me 30/entry so 90 for triple entry (most common used in my case). no need for that expensive METV.

Thats ok if intending stay is 6 months, but you still have do border run and pay for each entry+ visa to neibouring country+ the extensions.

I think someone on here worked it out even though METV slightly more expensive up front,

have more flexibility and do only border runs, not pay for each entry plus border run and exta hassle of going to Vientane for more visa entrys

Edited by bamukloy

Why?

Anyone can write a letter, anyone can employ anyone.

If they were asking for a P60, that would be a different story.

You don't have to be an LTD & registered with Companies House to employ people.

Briggsy, when you want to apply for the visa I'll put you down as being my maid.

Edited by Gringogazzer
  • Like 2

Why?

Anyone can write a letter, anyone can employ anyone.

If they were asking for a P60, that would be a different story.

You don't have to be an LTD & registered with Companies House to employ people.

Yes -- and anyone can be employed by their Mother but that doesn't mean the Consulate has to accept a letter from your Mother.

• Like 2

They could turn you down at any point, JLCrab, that's why I wouldn't buy a flight before visa, which they want.

The point being, I hire people on a short term basis (3/2 months) & if it's their 1st year accounts then I would have to supply a letter for any of them.

Genuine letter, or would they be alienated from this visa?

They could turn you down at any point, JLCrab, that's why I wouldn't buy a flight before visa, which they want.

The point being, I hire people on a short term basis (3/2 months) & if it's their 1st year accounts then I would have to supply a letter for any of them.

Genuine letter, or would they be alienated from this visa?

Beats me -- Anyone can employ anyone but that doesn't mean they qualify for a METV. Why don't you just ask the people in Liverpool?