The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I for one would love a concrete answer on this topic. I'm under 50 can't get a retirement visa, can't get a job. I get permanent disability from the US government so I'll never be able to work again. What are people like me supposed to do when we come to a country like this to be able to try to live a decent life with the money that were afforded, that's what that tourist visa did that was our only option. I don't work I can't work. The Thai government should realize that these pieces don't fit everyone.

I think you can possibley get the METV in the states. Check with one of the honorary consulates. See this page on DC embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

I think you will find that even the embassy and the 3 official consulates may be a little flexible if you show proof of your disability and income.

• Like 1

I am interested in the METV because -- should any such eventuality occur -- I would find it more preferable to have a $7000 deposit in a bank in the USA versus about $23,000 baht equivalent in a bank in Thailand. And for now, that looks to be a pretty good option.

Talk about apples and oranges. The 23k you refer to we can only imagine refers to perhaps a 12 month extension. Maybe based on retirement. The metv gives you 9 months and then what? Your taking a huge trip to USA and stay for some days and take another million hour flight back to los. Clever! Not

The Thai embassy in Washington DC says on its website that for an METV visa an applicant must provide:

6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every
months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
So maybe there will be a gestation period.
Edited by JLCrab

The Thai embassy in Washington DC says on its website that for an METV visa an applicant must provide:

6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every

My point is there has been several pages about DC and even more about Hull. All pointless until we have a report from someone that actually made an application. No offence but websites sometimes mean sweat f .....A .

We already have 20 pages of websites posts. Meaningless tripe

• Like 1

My point is there has been several pages about DC and even more about Hull. All pointless until we have a report from someone that actually made an application. No offence but websites sometimes mean sweat f .....A .

I go back to the USA every year anyway. And I live close enough to the Lao border.

• Like 1

Maybe those of the ThaiVisa rank & file at least those who would qualify for an METV already have time left on their current double or triple tourist visa and won't be applying for months,.

• Like 1

So far it appears that only Australia doesn't require any money or employment. I find that kind of strange , its almost like its a typo or something

No it's meaningless tripe.

Australian Embassy will have an update this week on their website. Not everyone is allowed to apply but anyone with a Holiday Working visa can apply which means visitors with from Commonwealth countries such as UK, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia etc. I am not permitted to apply as a German but they will overhaul their website this week for METV. Currently SETV and METV shows the same condition but their website development is outsourced. Called them today.

• Like 2

So far it appears that only Australia doesn't require any money or employment. I find that kind of strange , its almost like its a typo or something

Australian Embassy will have an update this week on their website. Not everyone is allowed to apply but anyone with a Holiday Working visa can apply which means visitors with from Commonwealth countries such as UK, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia etc. I am not permitted to apply as a German but they will overhaul their website this week for METV. Currently SETV and METV shows the same condition but their website development is outsourced. Called them today.

For over a week the Portland Honorary Consulate website showed a bank requirement of 7000 baht even though Washington DC Embassy website showed $7000. The Portland website now shows $7000.

• Like 1

I for one would love a concrete answer on this topic. I'm under 50 can't get a retirement visa, can't get a job. I get permanent disability from the US government so I'll never be able to work again. What are people like me supposed to do when we come to a country like this to be able to try to live a decent life with the money that were afforded, that's what that tourist visa did that was our only option. I don't work I can't work. The Thai government should realize that these pieces don't fit everyone.

Sadly, the Thai government really doesn't care about individual casualties. If 20,000 farangs face problems in Thailand compared to almost 28 million tourists, its a small number.

A bigger problem would be if they would change the retirement rules because those people put between 400k-800k per year in their accounts to legally stay here.

In general the Thai Government won already. Their was daily postings before in which countries TV users could get a double or triple entry tourist visa but it has been now only a week and not many postings of METV visas.

Their are sure people getting the METV but they are not part of the Thai expat community on Thaivisa. If you look at this post, their might be around 60-80 posters in general but Thailand gets almost 28 million users this year alone, so our problems and thoughts are minimal compared to the large number of tourists that visit Thailand every year.

If the Tourist visa (you can still go for single entries until they close that loophole as well) is your only option you might run out of options next year or you can proof you have enough funds to stay in Thailand.

For over a week the Portland Honorary Consulate website showed a bank requirement of 7000 baht even though Washington DC Embassy website showed $7000. The Portland website now shows $7000.

Its normal they outsource the development of websites and adding a new visa such as METV (Canberra) is for embassy staffs a lot of work to get it done on their CMS system. All they did is they copied the rules from SETV and put it online and the results are SE for Syrian shows financial proof, for a German no financial proof and the CMS rules are assigned for the METV as well. Quick work with the wrong results.

I called them I am a German and for a 2 weeks visit to Australia and if I can apply a METV visa during my trip to Australia and the prompt reply was no and they asked me to apply in Germany but they will consider an application for a SE if I come in person or go to one of their consulates.

The Royal Thai Consulate Ireland has one very slick website:

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/#home

Click on 'Types of Visa' then scroll down to the box for 'Tourist Visa' for METV info.

It is a nice site, direct and to the point.....................thumbsup.gif

One line in the requirements for the METV that i haven't seen before is this:

If Retired or on Welfare proof of Pension or Welfare Benefits

I think this is showing some sense and hope (for the sake of pensioners and those not employed) that other consulates/embassies extend the same.

• Like 2

Hi all.

Im in the process of applying for an METV from the Thai embassy in London. Although I think I may be among the lucky few who actually meet the bizarre requirements.

I've managed to get a 9 month sabbatical from my work beginning in January and ending in September, along with a letter from them addressed to the Thai embassy stating this. I'm heading to the bank tomorrow to get my statement stamped (although I've never heard of this before?).

I've seen some posts here asking if anyone has actually acquired one of these visas so I'll update on any progress. That being said, I think I'm in quite a unique position among TV users so I doubt it'll be really helpful to anyone?

And Norway. No money requirements except tickets, and no employment needed.

Norway might be rather interesting. EU citizens have an automatic right to register as living in Norway. Having done so, I think an METV application might be accepted. Still, needs someone to try to really know.

Norway might be rather interesting. EU citizens have an automatic right to register as living in Norway. Having done so, I think an METV application might be accepted. Still, needs someone to try to really know.

From their website:

1. Passport with validity of more than 6 months

2. Copy of Passport

3. Completed visa application form

4. Two passport photos

5. Copy of air ticket to Thailand, showing at least two entries into Thailand

6. Copy of residence permit in Norway (for non-Norwegian citizen applicant)*

7. Visa fee of 1,250 NOK in cash

*Normal regulations on visa application including additional documents for non-Norwegian citizen applicants still applies (visit www.thaiembassy.no for further details).

It is not surprising to me that nobody yet from the ThaiVisa rank & file has applied for a METV. As it was announced prior that, once the METV would go into effect 13 NOV 2015, 2 and 3 entry tourist visas would no longer be available, all the highly informed members of ThaiVisa who were using Tourist Visas as a long-time stay mechanism went out and got a final 2 or 3 entry tourist visa from their Thai Embassy/Consulate of choice shortly before the above date and Cinderella's coach would turn into a pumpkin.

So those ThaiVisa rank & file Members would only start applying for their first METV, if they choose to do so, maybe February or March next year.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

Just wonder, how so? Norway isn`t even a direct member of EU.

• Like 1

Strange is it not, but that is the Norwegian law.

• Like 1

Norway are a member of the European Economic Area, giving freedom of movements among its members

• Like 1

So with this METV once you have it!

You can stay for 6 months, enter and re enter as often as you like but must leave every 60 days?

Do we know if the 60 days can be extended by 30 days like old TV? Thus would make it similar to old multi 60 day TV albeit can only be obtained in home country.

Cheers

I have just received my single entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in London. I ordered a double entry, but I got a phone call from them, telling me that they will no longer supply multi entry. No reason was given for the change in the rules.

I think this could be to do with Paris, could be temporary.

Has anyone had similar problems in the U.K.?

You can stay for 6 months, enter and re enter as often as you like but must leave every 60 days?

Do we know if the 60 days can be extended by 30 days like old TV? Thus would make it similar to old multi 60 day TV albeit can only be obtained in home country.

Cheers

I have just received my single entry tourist visa from the Thai embassy in London. I ordered a double entry, but I got a phone call from them, telling me that they will no longer supply multi entry. No reason was given for the change in the rules.

Has nothing to do with Paris. Why would it ?

Double and triple entry tourist visas were discontinued when the METV was launched

• Like 1

All EU nationals can work study and live in Norway.

However, to obtain a resident permit they must apply for it, after 3 months stay.

After 3 months you can get a temporary resident permit. After 5 years you can apply for permanent residency. It would remain to be seen if temporary residency would be acceptable for METV applications.

• Like 1

Cheers

No, Double are triple entry Visas for Thailand have been permanently discontinued ?

They no longer exist

• Like 1