Thailand Rewrites its Past to Win Today and Secure Tomorrow

rooster59

Thailand Rewrites its Past to Win Today and Secure Tomorrow

PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK, Khaosod English

BANGKOK: Both sides of the political divide have been invoking history as a tool against their opponents, as the political conflict rages on beneath the surface nearly a year and a half after the May 2014 coup.

From the pro-Thaksin Shinawatra and anti-junta side came a higher profile commemoration of the death of anti-junta taxi driver Nuamthong Praiwan by no less than Thaksin’s younger sister, former premier Yingluck Shinawatra. On Oct. 31, 2006, Nuamthong rammed his taxi into an army tank in the aftermath of the 2006 coup and later ended his protest in suicide by hanging himself. Yingluck praised Nuamthong for his “sacrifice” and called him a man with “a great heart.” Leaders of the anti-junta, Redshirt umbrella group United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship were seen laying a wreath at the spot Nuamthong committed suicide while a left-leaning foundation dedicated a conference room to him.

As the years pass, Nuamthong seems to attract greater interest and exaltation, particularly now that Thailand is under military rule again.

Full story : http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447481313&section=0200

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-14

Thailand Rewrites its Past

What a stunning plan, maybe I'll rewrite my past as well. I was once a handsome millionaire, had my choice of yachts, women and automobiles. I traveled extensively in my private jet, the French Riviera, Monaco etc. Except for one little detail, none of it is true, because you can't change the truth without telling a lie.

So we have yingluck praising a man that committed suicide calling it a sacrifice!!. Suicide is a sacrifice apparently? Holding him up on a pedestal. Great example to set for the impressionable youth. This message that is being portrayed is suggesting suicide is a noble end in this instance. This ethos is prevalent in the Middle East as well with certain fundamentalists.

Not that long ago we also witnessed a student fail their end of year university exams in protest of the coup thus damaging their future employment prospects and yinglucks ilk praised that as well!!

Suicide victims and failed university students praised. It speaks volumes about the red ethos.

Edited by djjamie

What a turn up, being famous for being a failure at life and a failure at study, how are they going to continue their protest.......stay unemployed for the rest of their lives!! What's different about that? facepalm.gifthumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai.gif Idiots!!

Tried to ram a tank in his taxi then later hung himself. And Yingluck praises this as a great sacrifice ?.

Maybe a hunger strike would do it. Or walking into a hail of fire carrying a 'peace' banner (and without the standard issue UDD M79). But not hanging yourself from a bridge some time later. He was obviously suicidal before it started.

How I bet they wish he had died under the tank. Then his obvious mental problem would never have been revealed. Making him out as some kind of hero shows just how thin on the ground hero's really are in the ranks of the UDD.

What's next for praise from Ms Bubblehead : a suicide bomb ?. That will never happen : their only motivation is greed for money and you can't spend it if you are dead.

Red shirts should realise that choosing to celebrate this particular event embarrasses them more than anything else. Each time I read this particular story I think "What a bunch of idiots".

So we have yingluck praising a man that committed suicide calling it a sacrifice!!. Suicide is a sacrifice apparently? Holding him up on a pedestal. Great example to set for the impressionable youth. This message that is being portrayed is suggesting suicide is a noble end in this instance. This ethos is prevalent in the Middle East as well with certain fundamentalists.

Not that long ago we also witnessed a student fail their end of year university exams in protest of the coup thus damaging their future employment prospects and yinglucks ilk praised that as well!!

Suicide victims and failed university students praised. It speaks volumes about the red ethos.

Hahahaha, does seem a tad OTT. That's the problem, need people with cool heads ,demonstrations of raw, emotional protests are never usually effective unless its thousands

Edited by This Thing of Darkness

Becoming a martyr for the cause is just a plain waste of resource, not only has that person destroyed their own life they have certainly made it difficult or destroyed it for family and friends left behind , Nuamthong would have been more productive had he stayed ,in 2 decades time he will be forgotten about , because as like today Thailand will probably be where it is today , another General another time. and not only Nuanthong but all the others that have sacrificed their lives fighting for what, another Coup........................coffee1.gif

Jesus apparently sacrificed himself.

Tried to ram a tank in his taxi then later hung himself. And Yingluck praises this as a great sacrifice ?.

Maybe a hunger strike would do it. Or walking into a hail of fire carrying a 'peace' banner (and without the standard issue UDD M79). But not hanging yourself from a bridge some time later. He was obviously suicidal before it started.

How I bet they wish he had died under the tank. Then his obvious mental problem would never have been revealed. Making him out as some kind of hero shows just how thin on the ground hero's really are in the ranks of the UDD.

What's next for praise from Ms Bubblehead : a suicide bomb ?. That will never happen : their only motivation is greed for money and you can't spend it if you are dead.

Red shirts should realise that choosing to celebrate this particular event embarrasses them more than anything else. Each time I read this particular story I think "What a bunch of idiots".

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Misguided in their actions or not, at least these people were prepared to make personal sacrifices in order to protest against injustice and oppression.it is not up to outsiders to make a casual shallow mockery of their actions or their beliefs. The silence of the "good people" of Thailand is deafening.

Thailand Rewrites its Past

What a stunning plan, maybe I'll rewrite my past as well. I was once a handsome millionaire, had my choice of yachts, women and automobiles. I traveled extensively in my private jet, the French Riviera, Monaco etc. Except for one little detail, none of it is true, because you can't change the truth without telling a lie.

Perfect. Now all that remains is for you to go out and top yourself and we can all write eulogies to your demise......sad or otherwise.coffee1.gif

Jesus apparently sacrificed himself.

Really?

Just because people believe it does not make it true.

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Misguided in their actions or not, at least these people were prepared to make personal sacrifices in order to protest against injustice and oppression.it is not up to outsiders to make a casual shallow mockery of their actions or their beliefs. The silence of the "good people" of Thailand is deafening.

That says it all. Full stop.