Thai immigration strengthens screening procedures

webfact

And may I add I see France is no longer having contests of who can draw the most disrespectful cartoon character of one of Islam's most sacred sanctities. Viva la France!!

Yes, a huge loss for individual freedom of speech and a big victory for oppression...

Glad you think this is a good thing.

Maybe it's to do with the large amount of unsavory " French" characters that are residing in Thailand, notably on Phuket and In Pattaya. Being French speaking I have heard and seen quite a few. Nearly all these want to be terrorists in France are plain common criminals, having spent most of their youth in prison and youth detention center s. There's a whole lot in Patong that are more than dodgy I can promise you. When I stayed there 5/10 years back I couldn't believe that they were behaving like they owned the place, blatantly calling passes by into their restaurants and flashing their money all over town. Anyone who lives in Thailand and reads the press etc will know how many of these " French" citizens are caught on credit card scams etc. Imo everyone should beware of these people as there are reasons they are in Thailand, and it's not for the beach !

So LoS is sending their own ' air marshals ' on flights to Paris ?

I didn't know such a unit existed or in the hours following the atrocities in France have they successfully identified and trained suitable personnel OR as is more likely just BS to make it sound good ?

As other members have asked why is Thailand getting so worked up over this ?

Typical mentality, I'd venture. Has to be seen as being in-tune with times. Relevant. Belonging to the popular crowd. Vanity, and the need to be taken seriously, not that it's doing anything in that direction, if I'm honest. Want to be seen as rubbing shoulders with the people involved with the serious business of 'the world'. Really, just a typical response.

To be fair, I have to say that I agree security should be stepped up but, knowing Thailand, it will be but for only a few days. Take the Erawan Shrine bombing for instance - right after it happened, security tightened in almost anything and everything in the city. But as soon as the government announced that the perp was caught, everybody relaxed. They still check backpacks at the BTS/MRT stations now but if you insisted on ignoring them and walking past with a backpack, they do nothing to even attempt to go after you to check.

Anyway, back to the point I'm trying to make - what the ISIS/IS/ISIL/whatever half-breeds are doing is over and beyond all forms of rules of engagement. Not that terrorists adhered to any, to start with. This makes ANY and ALL countries vulnerable. Some are right to say that Thailand isn't at the top of the list, and there is no reason for them to attack Thailand. On the same token, there is also no reason for them not to! What's to stop them from 'staging a show' in Thailand, or any other countries that do not have heigtened security, just to make a point and show the world they are everywhere, can strike anytime and then really instill fear in everyone? There is a large French community in Thailand, no? Ditto Americans, British, Russians.

The thing is, I wish Thailand would be less vain. Step up security by all means, but do it quietly. People will notice, and they will feel safer and appreciate that. Putting on a show, beating your chest and making lots of noise is but just a circus clown show and people can see that. If you're serious about security, then do it - seriously. And quietly. Stop all this look-at-me-being-a-global-citizen crap. That will definitely keep the tourists coming in, if that's your main concern right now, despite the massacre and deaths, you insensitive gits.

Security and heightened state of alert and Thailand don't really sit well together.

They are good at making an effort for a few days, after the event.

Preemptive effort is not needed because nothing might ever happen. Which begs the question, how does one ramp up airport security. If it needs ramping up, the it wasn't secure before.....

Edited by Thai at Heart

"Plain-clothed agents have also been dispatched on direct flights from Bangkok to Paris to ensure security, while all passengers to France are advised to be extra vigilant and closely monitor the news and information coming out."

What genius had decided terrorist are likely come from Paris France?

And why flights from Bangkok to France?

Are terrorist from Thailand on their way to hit France again?

I am so confused!!

Terrorist could come here to Thailand from anywhere.

France is probably an unlikely source of terrorrist in countries other than Franec right now.

Maybe they should worry about some of the close by Muslim countries where Isis is active...or even southern Thailand??

post-147745-0-01487800-1447679855_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

So LoS is sending their own ' air marshals ' on flights to Paris ?

I didn't know such a unit existed or in the hours following the atrocities in France have they successfully identified and trained suitable personnel OR as is more likely just BS to make it sound good ?

As other members have asked why is Thailand getting so worked up over this ?

Typical mentality, I'd venture. Has to be seen as being in-tune with times. Relevant. Belonging to the popular crowd. Vanity, and the need to be taken seriously, not that it's doing anything in that direction, if I'm honest. Want to be seen as rubbing shoulders with the people involved with the serious business of 'the world'. Really, just a typical response.

To be fair, I have to say that I agree security should be stepped up but, knowing Thailand, it will be but for only a few days. Take the Erawan Shrine bombing for instance - right after it happened, security tightened in almost anything and everything in the city. But as soon as the government announced that the perp was caught, everybody relaxed. They still check backpacks at the BTS/MRT stations now but if you insisted on ignoring them and walking past with a backpack, they do nothing to even attempt to go after you to check.

Anyway, back to the point I'm trying to make - what the ISIS/IS/ISIL/whatever half-breeds are doing is over and beyond all forms of rules of engagement. Not that terrorists adhered to any, to start with. This makes ANY and ALL countries vulnerable. Some are right to say that Thailand isn't at the top of the list, and there is no reason for them to attack Thailand. On the same token, there is also no reason for them not to! What's to stop them from 'staging a show' in Thailand, or any other countries that do not have heigtened security, just to make a point and show the world they are everywhere, can strike anytime and then really instill fear in everyone? There is a large French community in Thailand, no? Ditto Americans, British, Russians.

The thing is, I wish Thailand would be less vain. Step up security by all means, but do it quietly. People will notice, and they will feel safer and appreciate that. Putting on a show, beating your chest and making lots of noise is but just a circus clown show and people can see that. If you're serious about security, then do it - seriously. And quietly. Stop all this look-at-me-being-a-global-citizen crap. That will definitely keep the tourists coming in, if that's your main concern right now, despite the massacre and deaths, you insensitive gits.

Show me any Thai official with more than half a brain that thinks of anything else but money (free of course ) and I will show you my degree as a bungee jump graduate. From a top university in the USA, ( purchased Kosan road) but keep it quiet.